• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 Texas Rangers offseason thread

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

$870,000.

Last edited:

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
10 possible trade fits for Christian Yelich

Rangers: OF Leody Taveras, 1B Ronald Guzman and LHP Cole Ragans

That is about what I thought it would take. I actually think we would have to throw in a lesser prospect along with those three.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers may employ Matt Bush as closer

BULLPEN IF SEASON STARTED TODAY
Alex Claudio, LHP
Matt Bush, RHP
Jake Diekman, LHP
Keone Kela, RHP
Tony Barnette, RHP
Chris Martin, RHP
Jose Leclerc, RHP

STRENGTH
Beyond Claudio, the Rangers have the prerequisite number of hard throwers led by Bush, Kela and Leclerc. All have tremendous talent. So does Diekman, who missed five months last season while undergoing three surgical procedures for ulcerative colitis. He is expected to be at full strength this season. Martin returns to the Major Leagues after two outstanding seasons in Japan, and Barnette is back to provide his invaluable ability to pitch at any time during a game. Ricardo Rodriguez and Nick Gardewine provide 40-man roster depth and the Rangers are stockpiling the necessary non-roster depth with right-handers Steve Delabar, Austin Bibens-Dirkx, Paolo Espino, Shawn Tolleson and Kevin Jepsen with more likely to come.

QUESTION MARK
There is always great unknown with any bullpen just because of the mercurial year-to-year uncertainty involving relief work. The Rangers need Kela to stay healthy and Leclerc to find the elusive command. If that happens, those two could be among the best relievers in the Major Leagues, while Gardewine might not be far behind.

WHAT MIGHT CHANGE
Bush going to the rotation would be the biggest change. If that happens, it could mean that left-hander Mike Minor is going to the bullpen. He was outstanding as a reliever for the Royals in 2017, but he was signed as a free agent to be a starter for the Rangers. However, this is the Major Leagues. Bullpens often change on the fly.

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
World Champ Astros about to get better with possible trade for Cole with Pittsburgh. :gaah:

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
World Champ Astros about to get better with possible trade for Cole with Pittsburgh. :gaah:
I would love to see the Astros give up too much for him. To me anything that makes them worse in the future is worth having them be even better now.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love to see the Astros give up too much for him. To me anything that makes them worse in the future is worth having them be even better now.

Perhaps a valid point. But I'm not so sure that having a 27 year old today is going to make them worse-for-the-wear in the long term.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps a valid point. But I'm not so sure that having a 27 year old today is going to make them worse-for-the-wear in the long term.
I believe he is only under control for this coming season and one more.

In 2020 he is gone and so are the prospects they gave up for him. Who knows, by 2020 we may even have the money to sign Cole.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe he is only under control for this coming season and one more.

In 2020 he is gone and so are the prospects they gave up for him. Who knows, by 2020 we may even have the money to sign Cole.

Think Astros will add pitching regardless. They think this is their window which it is. Sentimentally I really hope they're don't get Yu. We have the money for Yu but since we are not in a window I think the owners think it is a waste of money to spend money on elite pitching for this and next year. Sigh

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think Astros will add pitching regardless. They think this is their window which it is. Sentimentally I really hope they're don't get Yu. We have the money for Yu but since we are not in a window I think the owners think it is a waste of money to spend money on elite pitching for this and next year. Sigh
One might ask when is a good time? What are their plans for the next two years?

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tough being a Ranger fan these days. But they better do something next year if they want to put butts in the seats of that new stadium of theirs.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope they either overpay for Arietta or they trade top prospects for a year or two of someone. Maybe we can get in on that at the deadline and let them overpay us for Hamels.