• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 Texas Rangers offseason thread

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't you think Beltre will bolt then? But both are pretty admired as mentors from what I see so that is a plus to keep. Ragans models himself after Cole

But in theory absolutely yes I would rather have Yu.

Side note. No we would not have to eat money to trade him and yes I read the Phillie article and their desire for Hamels.
I prefer Yu over Hamels but if the Rangers go out there with the "we'll only sign Yu if we can unload Hamels" attitude teams will all over like sharks in feeding frenzy. Sign Yu and the as the trade deadline approaches dangle Hamels out there we would get better trade offers than we will right now. And it will affect other players like Beltre who will see it as "we Don't give a s--t about this season" and they will want out too.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Beltre does not want out now I don't see why he would if we signed Yu and then traded Hamels. If he did want out then I would give him what he wants as long as he told JD very discreetly that he would rather be traded.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we sign Yu and keep Hamels then I think although we are not a front runner, we are in the mix and just see how it plays out midseason But maybe the Rangers have in mind to not load up and let expiring contracts go by ASB

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we sign Yu and keep Hamels then I think although we are not a front runner, we are in the mix and just see how it plays out midseason But maybe the Rangers have in mind to not load up and let expiring contracts go by ASB
if we sign Yu and we are still not in it then we can trade people like Hamels for a decent return. do it now and the receiving team has the control of the trade because they know the Rangers are looking to unload him.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Third baseman Josh Donaldson and the Toronto Blue Jays on Friday broke the record for the highest salary among players eligible for arbitration, reaching agreement on a one-year deal for $23 million, a source told ESPN's Jerry Crasnick, confirming multiple reports.

The previous arbitration record of $21.625 million for a one-year deal was held by Washington Nationalsoutfielder Bryce Harper.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These Rangers could be off-season extension targets for Daniels

A Chirinos extension just makes sense. So does signing Yu Darvish, but Chirinos would sign for far less than $10 million a year.

That’s life for a small-market team, or one pretending to be this off-season.

1. Mazara
2. Gallo
3. Elvis
4. Beltre
5. Chirinos

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That doesn't appear to be an option though. As Jeff Wilson mentioned in the article I linked to above, the Rangers are pretending to be a small market team this offseason.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These Rangers could be off-season extension targets for Daniels

A Chirinos extension just makes sense. So does signing Yu Darvish, but Chirinos would sign for far less than $10 million a year.

That’s life for a small-market team, or one pretending to be this off-season.

1. Mazara
2. Gallo
3. Elvis
4. Beltre
5. Chirinos

Right now, I'm not at all in favor of giving an extension to Mazara. He looked a lot more like a platoon player last season than a full time corner OF to me.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if we sign Yu and we are still not in it then we can trade people like Hamels for a decent return. do it now and the receiving team has the control of the trade because they know the Rangers are looking to unload him.
They know you are looking to unload them in the middle of the season also. It just makes sense that the longer you get to enjoy the fruits of a player the more you will be wiling to give up for them.

This pipe dream that the Rangers are going to have both Darvish and Hamels just isn't coming to fruition I don't believe. It is one or the other and they have chosen one year of Hamels over 5 years of Darvish apparently, for some unknown reason.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right now, I'm not at all in favor of giving an extension to Mazara. He looked a lot more like a platoon player last season than a full time corner OF to me.
I understand that sentiment completely. Then again, I didn't want them giving an extension to Odor and they did.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand that sentiment completely. Then again, I didn't want them giving an extension to Odor and they did.
Then trade him. Someone will want his RBI's.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They know you are looking to unload them in the middle of the season also. It just makes sense that the longer you get to enjoy the fruits of a player the more you will be wiling to give up for them.

This pipe dream that the Rangers are going to have both Darvish and Hamels just isn't coming to fruition I don't believe. It is one or the other and they have chosen one year of Hamels over 5 years of Darvish apparently, for some unknown reason.
it is not chosing 1 year over 5 years as you put it. having hamels for one more year should not have any effect on having Yu for 5 years as in 2019 you have Yu and Hamels is gone and you have Yu for 4 more years and a starting pitching staff of Yu, Perez, Moore, ? and ? in 2019 requiring the Rangers to fill up to 2 holes. it is a never ending cycle of holes and needs with holes occasionally being filled internally but mostly from the outside. if you plan on competing then you make the necessary moves if you only plan on playing 162 games a year then you don't make moves you just sign pieces. the rest of the off-season will show the Rangers future

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then trade him. Someone will want his RBI's.

I don't want to trade him just yet. Just don't want to invest too much today. We've got time to wait and see.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it is not chosing 1 year over 5 years as you put it. having hamels for one more year should not have any effect on having Yu for 5 years as in 2019 you have Yu and Hamels is gone and you have Yu for 4 more years and a starting pitching staff of Yu, Perez, Moore, ? and ? in 2019 requiring the Rangers to fill up to 2 holes. it is a never ending cycle of holes and needs with holes occasionally being filled internally but mostly from the outside. if you plan on competing then you make the necessary moves if you only plan on playing 162 games a year then you don't make moves you just sign pieces. the rest of the off-season will show the Rangers future
If they don't believe they can afford Yu then it is the same as one or the other. They have a very big chunk of a limited budget going to a player who will be here one more year in Hamels. That is the biggest reason they will not pay market value for Darvish. The 2018 budget will not allow both players to be here in 2018.

Last edited: