• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 Texas Rangers offseason thread

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tough being a Ranger fan these days. But they better do something next year if they want to put butts in the seats of that new stadium of theirs.

I tell ya, you might be on to something here.....Only so much AC is going to buy ya when the on-field product is finishing in 3rd/4th place.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yu will put people in the seats

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yu Darvish is widely considered to be the top starting pitcher available in free agency, and while his market — like the market of nearly every other top free agent this winter — has been slow to progress, Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram reports that Darvish has whittled the decision down to a handful of teams: the Rangers, Cubs, Astros, Twins and Yankees. Darvish himself has hardly been shy about stirring the pot on social media this winter, though, and he created an additional layer of intrigue tonight when he responded to the report by tweeting: “I know one more team is in.” The Dodgers may very well be the sixth team to which Darvish alluded, as Andy McCullough of the Los Angeles Times tweeted tonight that Los Angeles “remains in the mix” to bring Darvish back to L.A.

In his column, Wilson once again cautions that the Rangers aren’t a prime suitor for Darvish. The right-hander, according to Wilson, would prefer to return to Arlington were all things equal, but the Rangers aren’t expected to pursue top-tier free agents, as has reportedly been the case for the entire winter. Wilson reported three months ago that Texas was aiming to trim payroll by about $10MM for the coming season, which would leave them around $155MM overall. A backloaded contract for Darvish could technically still make that goal possible, but Wilson strongly suggests that the Rangers won’t be making any moves of the “all-in” variety this winter. The Rangers’ payroll projects to check in around $144MM as things presently stand.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yep let's do absolutely nothing and wait, let the other teams get better, we can just put an average team on the board and go thru the motions. the fans don't care just as long as there is a team (sarcasm)

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What good is it to keep Hamels if his salary keeps us from going after Yu who can be here when we get better? If they are that hard up for money then sign Yu and trade Hamels. I think Yu over Hamels makes us a better team in 2018 and certainly a much better team after that.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What good is it to keep Hamels if his salary keeps us from going after Yu who can be here when we get better? If they are that hard up for money then sign Yu and trade Hamels. I think Yu over Hamels makes us a better team in 2018 and certainly a much better team after that.
do you have trade partner(s) in mind?

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any team not on his no-trade list.
okay let's refine my question: are there any teams that have talked about their interest in Hamels? i doubt the Rangers are going to take a bag of balls for him and i doubt that there is a team that wouldn't expect the Rangers to eat at least half or more of his salary. what is the advantage in that?

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
okay let's refine my question: are there any teams that have talked about their interest in Hamels? i doubt the Rangers are going to take a bag of balls for him and i doubt that there is a team that wouldn't expect the Rangers to eat at least half or more of his salary. what is the advantage in that?
I think you are being extremely pessimistic about how difficult it would be to trade him.

I do know I have already read where Philly might be interested in trading for him at the deadline and if that is the case then why not now? There are certainly teams that would think having Hamels would be a difference maker for them, teams that are capable of winning their divisions and advancing further in the postseason with a pitcher like Hamels.

We will not have to eat anywhere near half of his salary if we trade him. We might have to do that if we traded Choo, but not Hamels.

Even if we did have to practically give him away wouldn't that be worth it to pick up a pitcher who is better than him and who is going to be here 5 years instead of 1? I don't think we would have to do that in the least, but if we did it would certainly be worth it.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you are being extremely pessimistic about how difficult it would be to trade him.

I do know I have already read where Philly might be interested in trading for him at the deadline and if that is the case then why not now? There are certainly teams that would think having Hamels would be a difference maker for them, teams that are capable of winning their divisions and advancing further in the postseason with a pitcher like Hamels.

We will not have to eat anywhere near half of his salary if we trade him. We might have to do that if we traded Choo, but not Hamels.

Even if we did have to practically give him away wouldn't that be worth it to pick up a pitcher who is better than him and who is going to be here 5 years instead of 1? I don't think we would have to do that in the least, but if we did it would certainly be worth it.
Not being pessimistic but I am being realistic in us actually being able to trade him. Basically giving him away as you put it would still incur us eating 10+M of his salary and getting minimal in return for that 10+M.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not being pessimistic but I am being realistic in us actually being able to trade him. Basically giving him away as you put it would still incur us eating 10+M of his salary and getting minimal in return for that 10+M.
I think you are being pessimistic about this close to the same degree you were being optimistic a few weeks back about what we would have to give up for Yelich.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Don't you think Beltre will bolt then? But both are pretty admired as mentors from what I see so that is a plus to keep. Ragans models himself after Cole

But in theory absolutely yes I would rather have Yu.

Side note. No we would not have to eat money to trade him and yes I read the Phillie article and their desire for Hamels.