• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 Texas Rangers offseason thread

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JD also intimated that he is not as worried about how good the Astros are as he might have been a generation or two ago due to how baseball has changed with having 2 wildcards.

Sounds like he is interested in slipping in that way and roll the dice. Any playoff experience is good for the young guys

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The odds must be crazy: Early Vegas over/unders have these five teams all wrong

Olney doesn't think the Rangers can win 78 games.

Texas Rangers: 78½ wins
i
The Astros landed Justin Verlander for a couple of months and won the World Series, then dealt for Gerrit Cole. The Angels got the golden ticket called Shohei Ohtani, then picked up Zack Cozart and Ian Kinsler for a lineup that’ll include Mike Trout and Justin Upton. The Mariners made a move for Dee Gordon. The Rangers, on the other hand, have had a very quiet winter, other than adding Mike Minor. Given the strength of the rest of the American League West, you wouldn’t blame the Rangers if they saved their financial and prospect ammunition for another time, when the conditions for contending in the division could be more favorable. The Rangers won 78 games last season, and given the strength of the division, it’ll be difficult for them to reach that again.
Now I want to watch that 1/2 win game. That could be a deciding factor in the standings. ;)

jaar01

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well...this offseason was basically the Rangers keeping their powder dry and waiting and hoping for bigger things down the road. Next two seasons are going to be pretty ugly as far as results on the field. Three teams got a lot better in the AL West. Texas is not one of them. It'll be Oakland vs Texas in a race to the bottom for a couple seasons.

74-88. And that's probably being generous.

Going to be a long rebuild. Hamels and Beltre will be traded away. Choo and Fielder will be off the books pretty soon. Odor will be traded or DFA'd sooner than you think.

But by the time the new park opens things should be looking up for the Rangers.

We'll be a playoff contender in 2021. With a lot of new faces. And a new manager.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like he is interested in slipping in that way and roll the dice. Any playoff experience is good for the young guys
Some of that experience is that of being traded away by a team chasing fool's gold. That is the experience Alfaro, Williams, Brinson, and a few others got to gain. lol

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well...this offseason was basically the Rangers keeping their powder dry and waiting and hoping for bigger things down the road. Next two seasons are going to be pretty ugly as far as results on the field. Three teams got a lot better in the AL West. Texas is not one of them. It'll be Oakland vs Texas in a race to the bottom for a couple seasons.

74-88. And that's probably being generous.

Going to be a long rebuild. Hamels and Beltre will be traded away. Choo and Fielder will be off the books pretty soon. Odor will be traded or DFA'd sooner than you think.

But by the time the new park opens things should be looking up for the Rangers.

We'll be a playoff contender in 2021. With a lot of new faces. And a new manager.

It's not often I appreciate one of your posts but I give this one a thumbs up

I think this might be a make or break year for Odor... either he makes strides he seemed unable to make in season last year, or the Rangers will get fed up pretty quick, the plate discipline is the main thing right now, he had some bad luck last year but when coupled with his unwillingness to have good plate appearances then it makes for awful seasons

but he did seem to make some strides defensively last year, in that he wasn't awful, not that he was good

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really can't see the wisdom of a 6-man rotation as long as you only have a 25-man roster. Even with an expanded roster I think most of the time the 6th man in that rotation would be a very weak link.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really can't see the wisdom of a 6-man rotation as long as you only have a 25-man roster. Even with an expanded roster I think most of the time the 6th man in that rotation would be a very weak link.

I think it will only be temporary. Here are the factors
1. 14 day stretch to open season
2. Guys like Bush Minor and even Perez who need innings limited
3. DL is easier to utilize

Cons you burn out pen and bench is limited and SP has not shown propensity to pitch deep but perhaps that part can change. Also no guarantee that Perez starts year but still Colon may get spot.

Still think only temporary

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder how far they go into the season sticking with Odor if he struggles again?

If he does struggle again and they ignore his contract and replace him with Profar then his trade value is shot. I wish there was a chance that Profar could win the job in ST. That way Odor's trade value might retain a little bit of value.

I think it takes a minimum of 3 months of Odor struggling before they are tempted to replace him.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder how far they go into the season sticking with Odor if he struggles again?

If he does struggle again and they ignore his contract and replace him with Profar then his trade value is shot. I wish there was a chance that Profar could win the job in ST. That way Odor's trade value might retain a little bit of value.

I think it takes a minimum of 3 months of Odor struggling before they are tempted to replace him.
1 or the other gets traded before opening day

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1 or the other gets traded before opening day
As much as we all love Adrian, he needs to be traded and hopefully to a team that is a contender. Profar needs a chance to help the team or trade him too. Not going to be a pleasant season so what ever needs to improve it should start now.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much as we all love Adrian, he needs to be traded and hopefully to a team that is a contender. Profar needs a chance to help the team or trade him too. Not going to be a pleasant season so what ever needs to improve it should start now.

Profar is also a candidate for 3rd base IMO aid Beltre or Choo are dealt

jaar01

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beltre will be traded. But not until July.

Odor really is a wildcard on this team. With his contract and 2017 season I can't imagine a team trading for him at this point. Plain and simple he just has to get better. MLB 2nd basemen don't need to hit 35 hrs. They need to walk, move runners, and go the opposite way. His plate discipline and OBP are the keys to him having a turnaround season. And his defense must improve as well. Once heard a baseball scout say 2nd basemen are shortstops are the right side of the infield. Odor has got to become a better fielding 2nd basemen or a corner outfield spot is in his future.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JD planning ahead for 2019 with a contingency plan. Smart.

I agree. Might Work as postscript material too. Plus will likely still need RHSP