• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 Texas Rangers offseason thread

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only what he has shown us. A four seam fastball thrown mostly and a sharp break curve. Heard he has a change up and 2 seam but no seen. His FB is a bit straight at times too. I wish him well so it will be interesting what he does in ST
I think a lot of times late inning guys tend to mostly show their best pitch. Sometimes their other pitches may be adequate, but seldom used. Many times they are in the pen because of a lack of secondary pitches at some point in their develipment. In Bush's case he has virtually no starting experience even in the minors so I am not sure why that is. He never had the chance to flame out as a starter. I don't know how much we don't know about him.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Enough already of the off season. Let's take the cards dealt and play them.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think a lot of times late inning guys tend to mostly show their best pitch. Sometimes their other pitches may be adequate, but seldom used. Many times they are in the pen because of a lack of secondary pitches at some point in their develipment. In Bush's case he has virtually no starting experience even in the minors so I am not sure why that is. He never had the chance to flame out as a starter. I don't know how much we don't know about him.

Matt Bush » PitchFx » Overview | FanGraphs Baseball

I agree but point is it is unknown at the best but more likely just nit developed. But I guess that is what ST is for. A big plus for the Rangers if he can perform successfully as a SP

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matt Bush » PitchFx » Overview | FanGraphs Baseball

I agree but point is it is unknown at the best but more likely just nit developed. But I guess that is what ST is for. A big plus for the Rangers if he can perform successfully as a SP
Agree. If he can put up numbers like Ogando, Feliz and CJ did then it is a huge plus. I hope they give him a legitimate shot. This would be a perfect year to find out. I would think at some point they would move him back to the pen to keep his innings down even if he succeeded. Maybe let him start about 4 months and then back off and put him in the pen in Aug. and Sept before letting him start all year in 2019.

Apparently, Minor is open to pitching in the pen if that helps the team. I was encouraged to read that.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree. If he can put up numbers like Ogando, Feliz and CJ did then it is a huge plus. I hope they give him a legitimate shot. This would be a perfect year to find out. I would think at some point they would move him back to the pen to keep his innings down even if he succeeded. Maybe let him start about 4 months and then back off and put him in the pen in Aug. and Sept before letting him start all year in 2019.

Apparently, Minor is open to pitching in the pen if that helps the team. I was encouraged to read that.

To me limiting innings applies to Minor as well. If for some remote reason we sneak into the playoffs then perhaps Minor can close then. Bullpen for our team especially is a shot in the dark but I have to think that this is one are the team made drastic improvement this offseason. Tangibly our SP is weaker for now although a new signing can happen.

Have to think Gallo at 1B is an improvement. Hoping 2018 Odor is better. The OF is a mystery but no evidence of improvement. The reserves may be better.

I just think rest of West is better too

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also although I am not writing off Rangers from at least contending, watching guys develop is not all bad and interesting to me. Small victories can be appreciated.

Talent wise Choo provides a gap the Rangers can use but not at the expense of player development

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Enough already of the off season. Let's take the cards dealt and play them.

2 and 3 card off suited while the Astros have a pair of pocket aces.

Shoot me now please.

This offseason has been one big train wreck.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The odds must be crazy: Early Vegas over/unders have these five teams all wrong

Olney doesn't think the Rangers can win 78 games.

Texas Rangers: 78½ wins
i
The Astros landed Justin Verlander for a couple of months and won the World Series, then dealt for Gerrit Cole. The Angels got the golden ticket called Shohei Ohtani, then picked up Zack Cozart and Ian Kinsler for a lineup that’ll include Mike Trout and Justin Upton. The Mariners made a move for Dee Gordon. The Rangers, on the other hand, have had a very quiet winter, other than adding Mike Minor. Given the strength of the rest of the American League West, you wouldn’t blame the Rangers if they saved their financial and prospect ammunition for another time, when the conditions for contending in the division could be more favorable. The Rangers won 78 games last season, and given the strength of the division, it’ll be difficult for them to reach that again.

Duane1952

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cashner to sign 2 year deal with Orioles. It's being reported 2 years for 16 million.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cashner to sign 2 year deal with Orioles. It's being reported 2 years for 16 million.
I liked what he did for us last year as I thought he was very solid overall. I would have been okay with a deal like that.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Listening to JD just now on 103.3 he seems to think Minor and Bush could use a 6-man rotation to pitch in if one or both of them win a starting job.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JD also intimated that he is not as worried about how good the Astros are as he might have been a generation or two ago due to how baseball has changed with having 2 wildcards.