• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 Rule 5 draft

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh.

Rule V picks rarely pay off. And basically, when they do, it is only for a VERY marginal player. Sure, there are Johan Santana’s and Dan Ugglas, but a better example of a good pick would be AU Valez.

I hope they use it on a player as well. That is more fun. But if it is sold, I am cool with that.
When was the last time the Giants drafted in the major league round of the Rule 5?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When was the last time the Giants drafted in the major league round of the Rule 5?
They took a pitcher back in ‘09 or so. He didn’t make it out of ST. IIRC, they DFA’d him and the Padres took him.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, that was the first Luis Perdomo, I believe.
That is right.

I think there was another Luis Perdoma at the time and now there is ANOTHER Luis Perdomo whom the Padres took in the Rule V last year.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like the Giants plan on using the pick on a reliever.

My best guesses:

Burch Smith, Anyelo Gomez, Cole Coshow, Nick Burdi, Stephen Tarply, Jose Mesa Jr.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like the Giants plan on using the pick on a reliever.

My best guesses:

Burch Smith, Anyelo Gomez, Cole Coshow, Nick Burdi, Stephen Tarply, Jose Mesa Jr.
The Giants skipped over all those guys and instead picked Julian Fernandez, a 22 year old right handed reliever from the Rockies. He finished up a decent 2017 in low A ball, posting an ERA of 3.26, WHIP of 1.241 and a K/9 of 8.8. Interesting, but not quite the pick I had hoped for. I doubt he makes the team.
Julian Fernandez Register Statistics & History | Baseball-Reference.com

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Giants skipped over all those guys and instead picked Julian Fernandez, a 22 year old right handed reliever from the Rockies. He finished up a decent 2017 in low A ball, posting an ERA of 3.26, WHIP of 1.241 and a K/9 of 8.8. Interesting, but not quite the pick I had hoped for. I doubt he makes the team.
The Giants lost Albert Suarez in the MLB portion (big whoop) and 3 players in the minor league portion (Skyler Ewing, Martin Cervenka (??) and Andrew Muren (??)).

The Orioles took 3 players in the MLB portion. LHP Nestor Cortes (NYY), RHP Pedro Araujo (ChN) and RHP Jose Mesa Jr (NYY).

I gotta say, I don’t get the point of the Giants picking Fernandez. He just finished his age 21 season and has not pitched above high A yet. I guess they plan on pulling of a trade with Colorado to keep him??

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently the Giants had signed Suarez to a minor league deal after non-tendering him. Didn’t realize that...

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Giants lost Albert Suarez in the MLB portion (big whoop) and 3 players in the minor league portion (Skyler Ewing, Martin Cervenka (??) and Andrew Muren (??)).

The Orioles took 3 players in the MLB portion. LHP Nestor Cortes (NYY), RHP Pedro Araujo (ChN) and RHP Jose Mesa Jr (NYY).

I gotta say, I don’t get the point of the Giants picking Fernandez. He just finished his age 21 season and has not pitched above high A yet. I guess they plan on pulling of a trade with Colorado to keep him??
Apparently, Fernandez has a 100 MPH fastball. Who knows if the Giants will send him back during spring training or try to somehow slip him through the minors (they'll have to trade for him because I doubt the Rockies, and any other team for that matter, would let him pass through waivers).
Yeah, I had no idea the Giants re-signed Suarez either until this morning. There was nothing on any transaction wires about that, just speculation that it would happen.
As for the three picked from the Giants in the minor league phase, Ewing is somewhat disappointing but none were close to prospect status. Cervenka is another guy I didn't even know the Giants had under contract. He was with the Indians last season.
The Giants did draft a couple of arms in the minor league phase (because, you know, they are incredibly set at position players throughout the farm). Eduardo Rivera came out of the Yankees' farm and did great in short A ball last year. However, he will be 25 when the 2018 season opens. I have to guess he'll be in San Jose to start the season. Wander Franco looks to be the next Juan Ciriaco for the Giants. Another middle infielder that they can bounce around the organization.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Throws up to 103 with his fastball. Extremely quick arm speed, plus-plus fastball.

Doesn't really have a great secondary pitch yet.

His command was bad, seemed to figure stuff out last year. Just turned 22. I like it.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Martin Cervenka was signed to an MiLB deal this offseason.

Andrew Muren was signed really late last season, in August I believe. Re-signed with the Giants.

Missed the Suarez news as well. The Giants beat writers alluded that he would probably return but never officially reported it.

As for Fernandez he has a great fastball, Giants must see some things with him that they really like and believe can tinker with. I like the outside the box thinking. Need more of it. Giants need some higher ceiling in the Pen and this guy provides it.

Also FWIW, Fernandez was very highly rated among all the Rule V draft rankings.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently, Fernandez has a 100 MPH fastball. Who knows if the Giants will send him back during spring training or try to somehow slip him through the minors (they'll have to trade for him because I doubt the Rockies, and any other team for that matter, would let him pass through waivers).
Yeah, I had no idea the Giants re-signed Suarez either until this morning. There was nothing on any transaction wires about that, just speculation that it would happen.
As for the three picked from the Giants in the minor league phase, Ewing is somewhat disappointing but none were close to prospect status. Cervenka is another guy I didn't even know the Giants had under contract. He was with the Indians last season.
The Giants did draft a couple of arms in the minor league phase (because, you know, they are incredibly set at position players throughout the farm). Eduardo Rivera came out of the Yankees' farm and did great in short A ball last year. However, he will be 25 when the 2018 season opens. I have to guess he'll be in San Jose to start the season. Wander Franco looks to be the next Juan Ciriaco for the Giants. Another middle infielder that they can bounce around the organization.

I wouldn't worry much about Ewing, he's pretty terrible. Was terrible at 1st, was terrible as a catcher, was terrible with the bat.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't worry much about Ewing, he's pretty terrible. Was terrible at 1st, was terrible as a catcher, was terrible with the bat.
Not sure I would completely agree with regards to his bat. He was old for his level, but he showed both patience and pop, which not many other in the Giants' org has shown both. Just means more light hitting catchers in the farm.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure I would completely agree with regards to his bat. He was old for his level, but he showed both patience and pop, which not many other in the Giants' org has shown both. Just means more light hitting catchers in the farm.

As a 25 year old in low-A ball, repeating the level 3 times. Only a catcher part-time his final season as well. Not really impressed.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a 25 year old in low-A ball, repeating the level 3 times. Only a catcher part-time his final season as well. Not really impressed.
True. Regression is very likely. I think, in a farm as barren of hitters as the Giants, his departure is bigger than it should be.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True. Regression is very likely. I think, in a farm as barren of hitters as the Giants, his departure is bigger than it should be.

I mean I guess the fact that he was selected says SOMETHING, but based off what I've ready of him (David Lee, an Augusta writer/scout who's probably watched more of Ewing than anyone else in the last 3 years, including the Giants personnel, isn't a fan), he's a good org guy.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean I guess the fact that he was selected says SOMETHING, but based off what I've ready of him (David Lee, an Augusta writer/scout who's probably watched more of Ewing than anyone else in the last 3 years, including the Giants personnel, isn't a fan), he's a good org guy.
I can see that, and the minor league portion of the Rule 5 is usually just to fill in with org type players - ones that stick around for a while to plug in holes but won't make the big leagues (just ask Juan Ciriaco). However, I was looking forward to see if Ewing could capitalize by playing the Cal League in 2018. Maybe Matt Winn steps up and gets regular playing time or the Giants get aggressive with Rob Calabrese.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh.

He is a non-prospect. Those guys are roster fillers. They may effect attendance at the minor league level, but I am as interested in that as i am about the concession prices at AT&T.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is what Baseball America had to say, before the 2016 draft, about the Giants' pick:

Asking Fernandez to pitch in the big leagues right now would be like tossing the keys to a new Ferrari to a 16-year-old and telling them take it for a spin around the Nurburgring. Fernandez walked 7.8 batters per nine innings in short-season Boise–he struck out 19 and walked 20 in 23 innings. He's yet to throw a pitch in full season ball. But Fernandez has a truly special right arm. As a reliever, Fernandez sits at 98-100, touching 102-103 with outstanding life. He doesn't really have a secondary pitch he can rely on yet and his fastball misses the zone almost as often as it finds it, but a rebuilding team could take a chance on one of the best arms in baseball, sit him on the bench in all but blowout games and hope that a few years from now, they have a dominant reliever.
Read more at 2016 Rule 5 Draft Preview | BaseballAmerica.com

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fernandez is going under the knife for TJ.

He is now likely the most disastrous Rule V pick ever. He is stuck on the Giants roster for the year and the Giants have to pay this kid who has never pitched above A-ball 500K.