• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 Rule 5 draft

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is the list of minor leaguers in the SF farm that will be eligible to be drafted if they are not protected on the 40 man roster and sorted based on the level they played the most this year. I've underlined the ones I think are worth looking at protection. Feel free to discuss.
AAA
Tyler Beede, sp
Jose Dominguez, rp
Matthew Gage, sp
Joan Gregorio, sp
Dusten Knight, rp
Tyler Rogers, rp
DJ Snelten, rp

Juan Ciriaco, 2nd

AA
Tyler Herb, sp
Jordan Johnson, rp
Stephen Johnson, rp
Matthew Lujan, sp
Dillon McNamara, rp
Aramis Garcia, c
Brandon Bednar, 3rd
T.J. Bennett, 3rd
Rando Moreno, ss
Daniel Carbonell, of
Hunter Cole, of
Dylan Davis, of
Caleb Gindl, of

HA
Michael Cederoth, rp
Carlos Diaz, rp
Connor Kaden, rp
Will LaMarche, rp
Rodolfo Martinez, rp
Jacob McCasland, sp
Mark Reyes, sp
Dylan Rheault, rp
Caleb Simpson, rp
Matt Pare, c
Ty Ross, c
Jonah Arenado, 3rd
John Polonius, 2nd

LA

Greg Brody, rp
Hengerber Medina, sp
Kendry Melo, rp
Jose Morel, rp
Nolan Riggs, rp
Raffi Vizcaino, rp
Cesar Yanez, rp
Skyler Ewing, c
Adam Sonabend, c
Richard Amion, 3rd
Frandy de la Rosa, 1st
Jean Angomas, of
Gustavo Cabrera, of
Johneshwy Fargas, of

SSA
Julio Benitez, rp
Luis Pino, rp
Stetson Woods, sp
John Riley, c
Robert Antunez, 2nd
Robinson Medrano, of
Juan Rodriguez, of

AZL
Olbis Parra, rp
Julio Pena, rp
Nathaniel Javier, 1st

injured
Jason Forjet, sp (cannot find anything about him being retired or released, so I assume he is injured)
Ian Gardeck, rp
Rayan Hernandez, rp (see Forjet)
Connor Overton, rp (see Forjet)

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beede, gregoria, snelton and Garcia areally no brainers.

Herb and Martinez are strong possibilities. The others are hardly worth discussing, I think.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the 40 man roster deadline in just less than two weeks, I thought I'd look at the guys I thought are worth possibly protecting, outside of the general consensus guys (i.e. Beede, Gregorio, Snelten and Garcia). While the order isn't in a strict highest to lowest on my favorites to protect, there is some sense of the first guy I think the highest about and the one at the end the least in terms of protection. However, none are set in stone. With that, here goes:

Carlos Diaz, rp - Diaz has been around for a long time in the organization, signing with the Giants as a 17 year old out of the Dominican in 2011. He had a rough go his first two years in the US as a starter but looked really good in 2015 when he was converted to a reliever at Augusta. He posted a 1.63 ERA, 1.048 WHIP, walked only 14 batters and struck out 75 batters in 55.3 innings pitched, earning a one game promotion to Richmond. He moved up to San Jose to start 2016 and was awful, bouncing down all the way to Salem-Keizer. However, his return to San Jose looked good in 2017, posting a 2.47 ERA, 1.166 WHIP, 67 Ks in 58.3 innings, with 23 walks. Since being converted to a reliever, he has not allowed more than 2 home runs a season. He will be 24 next season and most likely headed to Richmond but I could easily see a team desperate for arms picking him up in the Rule 5 draft.

Tyler Rogers, rp - A 10th round pick out of the 2013 draft, Rogers had generally excelled wherever he pitched, minus a rough 10 game patch in 2015 with Richmond and bad half season in his first shot with Sacramento in 2016. For his minor league career, Rogers has posted a 2.30 ERA, 1.159 WHIP and 9 home runs allowed in 348.7 innings pitched across 5 seasons. He's done everything he could to get a shot. I figure, with his September snub, the Giants will pass right over him in their 40 man adds. I really hope he gets a good shot with someone else, either through the Rule 5 draft or a trade.

Rodolfo Martinez, rp - Another guy signed out of the Dominican, Martinez never actually pitched in his home country after signing, moving straight to the AZL for his first season. He looked awful that year. However, the Giants moved him up to Augusta in 2015 and he excelled, carrying over that success to San Jose to start 2016. However, he seems to have hit a wall once he got promoted midseason to Richmond. He stunk there, in the Arizona Fall League and looked rather bad when he was healthy enough to pitch in 2017. Still, he is young and has amazing stuff. I could see the Giants maybe making room for him on the 40 man roster but could be a dfa casualty later in the offseason if they need room for a free agent signing.

Tyler Herb, sp - A mid-season pickup from the Mariners, I've put Herb this far up primarily because he is a starter, being possibly the only other starter besides Beede to be added to the 40 man (unless you count Gregorio, which I see as more of a reliever). Herb threw nicely with Richmond after the trade, posting a 2.76 ERA, 1.209 WHIP in 10 starts. However, his K/9 (6.6) was a bit low, but, for his career, he averages closer to 7.3 so that may be a bit of a fluke. He'll be 26 within a month of the 2018 season starting, so he is a bit old. But he may be worth keeping safe for depth.

Nolan Riggs, rp
- A non-drafted free agent in 2014, Riggs has pitched well enough to stave off release, but never looked good enough to think high minors, much less majors, until 2017. After repeating Salem-Keizer for two years, Riggs finally got a chance in full season ball this last season and did well. In 44 relief appearances, he posted a 2.13 ERA, 1.034 WHIP, 9.2 Ks per 9 and did not allow a home run all season. Considering the state of that team, this is no small feat. However, he turns 25 in late May and may be ticketed for San Jose. The Giants may be able to sneak him through the Rule 5 draft unprotected.

Dylan Rheault, rp - The Giants always seem to bring at least one pitcher from the indy leagues each year. Typically, those signings don't pan out. However, Rheault had himself a nice season as a reliever in San Jose in 2017. He posted a 2.70 ERA, 1.217 WHIP and 0.6 HRs/9. However, his K rate (6.9), age (26 by opening day 2018), lack of ridiculously low WHIP and place he pitched in 2017 makes his protection on the 40 man roster remote.

Stetson Woods, sp - The only other starter on my list, Woods is here primarily because of his age (23 in January) and the fact that he is a starter. Woods, a 9th round pick out of high school in 2014 (he was 19 when he signed, thus why he's eligible this year), spent his first three seasons in the AZL. He actually looked good as a reliever that in 2014, but repeated in 2015 as a guy bouncing between the rotation and bullpen and again in 2016. Despite some awful numbers in 2016, he finally got to move up to Salem-Keizer in 2017. He was okay, posting a 3.36 ERA and 1.244 WHIP, with a 6.7 K/9. Again, someone who can probably easily make it through the Rule 5, but out of all the guys eligible, he seemed to be high enough to be considered.

Skyler Ewing, c - The fact that Ewing is the lone position player on this list, and the only one outside of Garcia even worth considering, speaks to how the Giants have needed to focus on position players in the draft (Miguel Gomez was the only position player protected from last year's crop. Next year, however, should have a few guys worth considering). A converted 1st baseman, Ewing returned for his third season in Augusta to play catcher in 2017. While his batting average didn't do much better (.231 in 2015, .241 in 2016, .246 in 2017), he made a big jump in both on base (.359) and slugging (.455). He should be the starting catcher in San Jose next year, but considering his age (25) and experience level (low A), I really doubt a team will pick him up in the Rule 5, but, then again, Arizona did pick up a similar catcher a year or two ago in the draft.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I checked the 40 man roster on the team's website and it does list Joan Gregorio back on the roster, which puts the team at the full complement. That means, if Beede, Snelten and Garcia are all going to be added, there's at least three casualties soon to come off. Then, if Hundley is quickly re-signed, another casualty. That probably means none of the guys I highlighted above will make the 40 man roster.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Deadline is tonight.

No news yet.
Nope. I've been checking every couple of hours for updates.

The Indians did dfa a lefthander (Kyle Crockett) that seems intriguing as a strict LOOGY. His lefty/righty splits are pretty extreme (Per Trade Rumors - To his credit, Crockett has allowed just a minuscule three homers in 65 1/3 MLB innings and has held lefties to a .614 OPS in 167 plate appearances. Righties have knocked him around at a .280/.373/.452 clip, though).

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope. I've been checking every couple of hours for updates.

The Indians did dfa a lefthander (Kyle Crockett) that seems intriguing as a strict LOOGY. His lefty/righty splits are pretty extreme (Per Trade Rumors - To his credit, Crockett has allowed just a minuscule three homers in 65 1/3 MLB innings and has held lefties to a .614 OPS in 167 plate appearances. Righties have knocked him around at a .280/.373/.452 clip, though).

I'll be interested to see who the Giants might think about selecting as well as who they protect. There's certainly going to be a couple of Yankee prospects unless they make some serious trades in the next 2 hours.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll be interested to see who the Giants might think about selecting as well as who they protect. There's certainly going to be a couple of Yankee prospects unless they make some serious trades in the next 2 hours.
They dumped one of the 0-option arms to the M’s the other day.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had thought of that as well but, as cal mentioned, the Yankees are making room for their top guys and the Giants typically don't draft, at least at the major league phase. Especially in a year that they want to be competitive, I cannot see them wasting a spot on the 25 man roster.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had thought of that as well but, as cal mentioned, the Yankees are making room for their top guys and the Giants typically don't draft, at least at the major league phase. Especially in a year that they want to be competitive, I cannot see them wasting a spot on the 25 man roster.

There's just no way the Yankees will fit all their guys.

I agree that it's highly unlikely, but these aren't the same old Giants (sorta) and they'll have the 2nd pick. When the official list comes out, I'll be curious. If there's a top OFer out there, or a bullpen piece, I think they might take a shot.

Also, it will be worth it to see who goes on waivers. For instance, Mark Appel was just DFA'd. Giants will have the first crack at him.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's just no way the Yankees will fit all their guys.

I agree that it's highly unlikely, but these aren't the same old Giants (sorta) and they'll have the 2nd pick. When the official list comes out, I'll be curious. If there's a top OFer out there, or a bullpen piece, I think they might take a shot.

Also, it will be worth it to see who goes on waivers. For instance, Mark Appel was just DFA'd. Giants will have the first crack at him.
I don't know. Yeah, its kinda not the same old Giants, but I really think it is. I think the only way they go for a Rule 5 is if a good left hander is available to plug into the bullpen. I don't see them picking up an outfielder. They want veterans.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know. Yeah, its kinda not the same old Giants, but I really think it is. I think the only way they go for a Rule 5 is if a good left hander is available to plug into the bullpen. I don't see them picking up an outfielder. They want veterans.

We shall see

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Yankees just shipped Garrett Cooper and Caleb Smith to the Marlins after shipping Ronald Herrera to the Rangers earlier in the day. Smith was an intriguing lefty that would probably have been useful to have picked up but maybe we get him in the Stanton deal (hopefully, that deal doesn't happen, at least the Stanton part).

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Yankees just shipped Garrett Cooper and Caleb Smith to the Marlins after shipping Ronald Herrera to the Rangers earlier in the day. Smith was an intriguing lefty that would probably have been useful to have picked up but maybe we get him in the Stanton deal (hopefully, that deal doesn't happen, at least the Stanton part).

The Yankees using Giants' prospects to trade with the Marlins SMH!

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like he's closer to a Javy Lopez than a Jeremy Affeldt, but we need both!
That's why I like Kyle Crockett as well, dominates lefties and has some big league experience.