• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 Roster

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You and I must be reading this completely different. I'm reading that 17M gets the team around 5 to 6M under the cap. That's hardly enough to chase any key free agents.

If I remember right, you're getting your numbers from OverTheCap, right?

OverTheCap's figures (and Spotrac's) include non-guaranteed contracts for a bunch of guys at the bottom of the roster who will probably not be on the final roster come September - a lot of those fringe players listed will be cut as new players are brought in over the course of the off-season. Remove those contracts and it frees up several million in space. By my very rough estimation, Dallas probably has a little over $10mil to spend right now - let me double check that...

$10 million could get you a couple nice pieces around $5mil per year - I'm thinking a vet CB and one other piece. Then once Romo is traded/released after 6/1 and another $10mil in cap space becomes available, Dallas can fill in the blanks at the back end of the roster and sign the rookie class.

Last edited:

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You and I must be reading this completely different. I'm reading that 17M gets the team around 5 to 6M under the cap. That's hardly enough to chase any key free agents.

Factor in the Romo money and whatever potential cuts they make (Doug Free is a possibility). Could add another $10-15 million but yeah, they won't be outbidding anyone or getting any monumental game changers via free agency.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I remember right, you're getting your numbers from OverTheCap, right?

OverTheCap's figures (and Spotrac's) include non-guaranteed contracts for a bunch of guys at the bottom of the roster who will probably not be on the final roster come September - a lot of those fringe players listed will be cut as new players are brought in over the course of the off-season. Remove those contracts and it frees up several million in space. By my very rough estimation, Dallas probably has a little over $10mil to spend right now - let me double check that...

$10 million could get you a couple nice pieces around $5mil per year - I'm thinking a vet CB and one other piece. Then once Romo is traded/released after 6/1 and another $10mil in cap space becomes available, Dallas can fill in the blanks at the back end of the roster and sign the rookie class.
I'm not self calculating, I'm reading stories the team is now just under the projected cap. If what im reading then YES both contacts had to be redone.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These restructures are smart business and nothing like the restructures of yesteryear on older players (Romo) or marginal players (Carr). Smith is still younger than the other two all pros and both linemen will be in their prime throughout their contracts. No comparison.

The name of the game is win a championship, not about having 50 plus million to sign free agents. Dallas is that close and the opportunity is now.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not self calculating, I'm reading stories the team is now just under the projected cap. If what im reading then YES both contacts had to be redone.

Gotcha. I have read a few similar stories, most of them that I have read quote Spotrac and OvertheCap by name. Just looking at the rosters you will see there are several guys who are filling out the top 51 that are on reserve/future contracts that have zero guarantees. Most of these guys will not be on the roster when it matters, but for now, they count against the cap.

Rod Smith, RB -- $615,000
Ryan Seymour, LT -- $615,000
John Lotulelei, OLB -- $615,000
Jeremiah George, ILB -- $615,000
Shaq Evans, WR -- $555,000
Jeremiah McKinnon, CB -- $540,000
Kadeem Edwards, G -- $540,000
James Morris, LB -- $540,000
Connor Hamlett, TE -- $540,000

That comes to a total of $5,175,000

None of these guys mentioned above were on the active roster for Dallas at any point in 2016. They all currently count against Dallas' 2017 salary cap - none of the contracts have any guaranteed money. Dallas can create an additional $5,175,000 as soon as it wants to.

With the money saved from restructuring Smith and Frederick, Dallas can have about as much as $10-11 million to spend prior to 6/1, as needed - barring any further contract restructures.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These restructures are smart business and nothing like the restructures of yesteryear on older players (Romo) or marginal players (Carr). Smith is still younger than the other two all pros and both linemen will be in their prime throughout their contracts. No comparison.

The name of the game is win a championship, not about having 50 plus million to sign free agents. Dallas is that close and the opportunity is now.

I'm a little concerned with restructuring Smith again. Three times in a row now. Taking into consideration that Smith now has dead money hits of $26m, $18m, and $11m the next 3 years, and his back is becoming a concern. Smith is still young, no doubt, but now has 6 years of NFL wear and tear on him. Do they restructure him again in 2018? - If history is any indicator, yes. And that is part of my problem. Does Dallas really want to back themselves into a corner with dead money again? They are working on it.

I understand the necessity to restructure at times of need. Dallas does it as a routine matter of business. One of the only teams in the league to operate in such a fashion. And they just don't learn their lessons.

Granted Smith's contract was very favorable to the team when signed, but Dallas is doing their utmost to make this a bad contract in time. Have seen this movie a few times already.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2017 NFL free agency: Targets, must-keep players for every NFC team
The Falcons, Packers and Cowboys all need the same thing: pass rush help

Dallas Cowboys
The Skinny: After losing Tony Romo in the preseason with a back injury, it looked like the Cowboys would be toast. But rookie Dak Prescott was a surprise star and the Cowboys won the NFC East and earned the top seed in the playoffs. They lost to the Packers in the divisional round, but it was a successful season all the way around.

Biggest free-agent need: Edge rusher. This has been an on-going problem based on suspensions and injuries to key players. They have to get better rushing the passer.

Free agent they should keep: Safety Barry Church. He was their second-leading tackler last season and they love his role in their defense.

barry-church.png

Barry Church is a keeper in Dallas. USATSI
Free agent they should target: Unless they get Romo’s contract off the books, they will be limited in what they can do, but adding a bargain pass rusher like Jabaal Sheard from New England might make sense.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotcha. I have read a few similar stories, most of them that I have read quote Spotrac and OvertheCap by name. Just looking at the rosters you will see there are several guys who are filling out the top 51 that are on reserve/future contracts that have zero guarantees. Most of these guys will not be on the roster when it matters, but for now, they count against the cap.

Rod Smith, RB -- $615,000
Ryan Seymour, LT -- $615,000
John Lotulelei, OLB -- $615,000
Jeremiah George, ILB -- $615,000
Shaq Evans, WR -- $555,000
Jeremiah McKinnon, CB -- $540,000
Kadeem Edwards, G -- $540,000
James Morris, LB -- $540,000
Connor Hamlett, TE -- $540,000

That comes to a total of $5,175,000

None of these guys mentioned above were on the active roster for Dallas at any point in 2016. They all currently count against Dallas' 2017 salary cap - none of the contracts have any guaranteed money. Dallas can create an additional $5,175,000 as soon as it wants to.

With the money saved from restructuring Smith and Frederick, Dallas can have about as much as $10-11 million to spend prior to 6/1, as needed - barring any further contract restructures.
The reason these are currently counted against the 53 is due to the number of Dallas FAs the team may lose. When all is said and done at least one more contract will have to be redone in order to have cap room just to fill out the roster. 9 of our FAs played key minutes, add in the team only has Dak and Tony under contract at QB, and its very slim Tony sticks around.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Granted Smith's contract was very favorable to the team when signed, but Dallas is doing their utmost to make this a bad contract in time. Have seen this movie a few times already
we'll have to agree to disagree. Smith will still be an NFL super star tackle by the end of this deal and the name of the games is winning a championship. I have no issues with restructuring either player cause it's nothing like a Witten, Romo or Carr restructure in my not so humble opinion

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The reason these are currently counted against the 53 is due to the number of Dallas FAs the team may lose. When all is said and done at least one more contract will have to be redone in order to have cap room just to fill out the roster. 9 of our FAs played key minutes, add in the team only has Dak and Tony under contract at QB, and its very slim Tony sticks around.
I read somewhere you'll need about 5M for the drafted rookies, and practice squad players.
It's just the cost of doing business

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is not true, not for certain at least. Dallas does not need to completely fill out the roster prior to 6/1. Dallas only needs to have enough cash to pursue free agents it deems vital. After 6/1 Dallas will get significant salary cap relief from a Romo trade/release and can then fill out the fringes of the roster then. The rookie class can be signed from this money over the summer as well.

As far as backup QB, this just my opinion, I think Kellen Moore will be the 2nd string QB. He was penciled in as backup this past year, and is CHEAP.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we'll have to agree to disagree. Smith will still be an NFL super star tackle by the end of this deal and the name of the games is winning a championship. I have no issues with restructuring either player cause it's nothing like a Witten, Romo or Carr restructure in my not so humble opinion

Fair enough.

I think it's up for debate what Tyron Smith will be after he turns 30 - that's another 4 years of NFL abuse down the road, which is also longer than the average career. So who really knows?
I tend to agree with you that he will be a good player towards the end of his contract, but back injuries are no sure thing, one way or the other. I just would like to see the Cowboys keep their options open.

The goal is winning a Super Bowl, and this team is close. But this team is also young, patience and proper planning will serve the Cowboys well in the long run.

Here's a thought, imagine this roster without Dak? His 4th round salary is keeping the current situation from being untenable.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read somewhere you'll need about 5M for the drafted rookies, and practice squad players.
It's just the cost of doing business
No argument from me here. I believe the team is around 5 or 6M under the cap which will take care of the draft snd PS, the team still has to clear space to fill a number of free agent openings unless they plan on filling all those spots with rooks and low end 2nd/3rd year players.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is not true, not for certain at least. Dallas does not need to completely fill out the roster prior to 6/1. Dallas only needs to have enough cash to pursue free agents it deems vital. After 6/1 Dallas will get significant salary cap relief from a Romo trade/release and can then fill out the fringes of the roster then. The rookie class can be signed from this money over the summer as well.

As far as backup QB, this just my opinion, I think Kellen Moore will be the 2nd string QB. He was penciled in as backup this past year, and is CHEAP.
So you want to wait until post June 1st to fill the roster?

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you want to wait until post June 1st to fill the roster?

I'm only suggesting to wait on guys who will be on the fringes of the roster. The Jack Crawfords, Brice Butlers of the world. Dallas will have enough money, as is, to go after 2, maybe 3 mid-tier free agents right out of the gate. Some of these positions of need will be filled by rookies, if recent history is an indicator. And they don't need to be signed until the middle of the summer, when the Romo money should be in the bank.

There is nothing saying the Cowboys can't work out agreements with some of it's own free agents like Crawford, Butler, Kellen Moore, etc and just wait until 6/2 to finalize the contract. Obviously there would have to be a mutual understanding, but the players that are free agents-to-be know what is going on in Dallas, and they know how Jerry does business. Jerry is a lot of things, but a shady business man does not seem to be one of them, he takes care of his players and everyone knows it.

Realistically, Dallas' biggest needs currently are CBx2, SS, DE, WR. Practically every other position is situated pretty well with talent.

Last edited:

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly love the GM work and plans some of you guys do. I'm being serious here.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm only suggesting to wait on guys who will be on the fringes of the roster. The Jack Crawfords, Brice Butlers of the world. Dallas will have enough money, as is, to go after 2, maybe 3 mid-tier free agents right out of the gate. Some of these positions of need will be filled by rookies, if recent history is an indicator. And they don't need to be signed until the middle of the summer, when the Romo money should be in the bank.

There is nothing saying the Cowboys can't work out agreements with some of it's own free agents like Crawford, Butler, Kellen Moore, etc and just wait until 6/2 to finalize the contract. Obviously there would have to be a mutual understanding, but the players that are free agents-to-be know what is going on in Dallas, and they know how Jerry does business. Jerry is a lot of things, but a shady business man does not seem to be one of them, he takes care of his players and everyone knows it.

Realistically, Dallas' biggest needs currently are CBx2, SS, DE, WR. Practically every other position is situated pretty well with talent.
So do you think any key FA will gladly sit around on a promise by Jerry just so they can wear the star? You yourself said this team is close but here you are willing to wait for FA leftovers and IFFA to fill the roster. Think about it, the team was 11/12M over without numerous key players from last season counting against the cap. I'm truly at a loss how you came to the conclusion only ONE contract had to be redone?

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw the Cowboys cleared like $17 million by simply reworking TSmith and Fred. All the national experts who talked about how strapped the Cowboys would be..simply LOL

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw the Cowboys cleared like $17 million by simply reworking TSmith and Fred. All the national experts who talked about how strapped the Cowboys would be..simply LOL
It has become SOP for Dallas to do this, as much as I don't like the idea, I've come to expect and accept it.