• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 Lions Draft Thread

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
About 24 hours out and i still see guys going top 10 in some mocks and falling past us in others. Nobody really has an idea how its gonna play out beyond Garrett.

Personally i have become more and more in favor of Christian McCaffery as i think about everything he brings to this team. We've lacked even the semblance of a running game for so long i barely even remember the last time we had a guy. And we throw the ball to backs out of the backfield more than just about any teak out there. But we keep putting the ball in the hands of guys who dont do anything with it. If McCaffery falls past 10-12 i would be 100% looking to trade up if it could feasibly be done. Ic he falls past 15-16 and we dont get him i think it would be a monumental failure on our part.

Of course i see mocks with him in the top 5. Most others have him top 10. But many have him falling past us. On ESPN right now one of their guys is saying #20 to Denver right ahead of us. So who knows. Most wide open draft i remember in a very long time.

I like McCaffrey, but I hope BQ lets the draft come to him. To me it's about acquiring talent, not a particular piece.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why the hell would you want GB to trade up and get another Clay Matthews when we could select him for OUR defense?

First I will say if BQ has TJ as his top guy on his board at 21 that's fine what you've said.

Otherwise the day I hear BQ say these words I call for his job. As a GM you should be confident in your skills of drafting that you can get a impactful player with that extra pick. You should, if your worth your salt have a OL that can block that guy. I guess for me that's saying your scared.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
High motor and freakish athletic ability? Short arms is the only negative on him. He will end up being way better than his draft slot

38 reps at his pro day. He will prolly carry that chip of not being invited to the combine on Sundays.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's only 33 and will join a better OL then he played on in New Orleans last season.

Evans is still a savvy vet. Skills have diminished some, but he can still out smart many.

I'm glad that TJ Lang is in the D. Knows many GB tendencies. Lions can take any advantage they can get.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Evans is still a savvy vet. Skills have diminished some, but he can still out smart many.

I'm glad that TJ Lang is in the D. Knows many GB tendencies. Lions can take any advantage they can get.
The Lions have had very little success versus the Packers especially at Lambeau Field.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's only 33 and will join a better OL then he played on in New Orleans last season.

He was released by New Orleans first. Signed by Seattle and released by Seattle, then signed a one year deal to go back to New Orleans.

I agree he is only 33 and many guys thrive at that age on the OL. For whatever reason, his play must have dropped pretty good to be let go by 2 different teams. Who knows though -- if he puts in time this offseason, maybe he can get back to near where he used to be.

Reactions: GNG

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was released by New Orleans first. Signed by Seattle and released by Seattle, then signed a one year deal to go back to New Orleans.

I agree he is only 33 and many guys thrive at that age on the OL. For whatever reason, his play must have dropped pretty good to be let go by 2 different teams. Who knows though -- if he puts in time this offseason, maybe he can get back to near where he used to be.
I'm sure he is only a stopgap player.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Evans would be a better selection. There aren't very many TE's that can run a 4.4

I'd have no issue if Detroit spent a 2nd round pick on a guy like Evans, but I hope Quinn doesn't make the same mistake as Mayhew and draft a one dimensional TE in the first round.

Quinn seems to be a smart guy though. I have a feeling we will be seeing defensive picks in the first few rounds or possibly 3 of the first 4. That is where we have the most deficiencies.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure he is only a stopgap player.
Agreed. If they can get him to play up to his ability, he could really help them. If his body is just breaking down, not sure how much help he will give them.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand he's low on the boards of people who are paid to talk about it, but he'll go 1st round.

I'm crabwalking on this one. High potential project. 2nd round

He = Roderick Johnson

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No he tested diluted. It counts as a positive for the leagues program but it isnt quite the same.

That's all that matters. Coming into the league w 1 strike. Yuck.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's all that matters. Coming into the league w 1 strike. Yuck.
It's only all that matters if you think he gets caught again. I'm not a Michigan guy at all, so maybe you know more. But Peppers always came across as one of the guys I wouldn't worry about.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's only all that matters if you think he gets caught again. I'm not a Michigan guy at all, so maybe you know more. But Peppers always came across as one of the guys I wouldn't worry about.

Me too, then this. I'm not saying take him off the board. But it's a huge bummer, and a risk w that one strike already against him.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Me too, then this. I'm not saying take him off the board. But it's a huge bummer, and a risk w that one strike already against him.

Ehh diluted is a non issue to me if you can sit down and interview a guy. They're there to get weighed in officially for the first and only time ever for many of these guys. And guys are going to spend the next two months calling you too small if you're 195, and calling you a monster if you're 210. A gallon of water weighs 8 pounds... A lot of these guys are drinking as much water as they can to weigh in higher.

I mean ideally nobody wants a diluted sample but it happens to guys every year. I really don't think it moves his draft spot even 1 position.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ehh diluted is a non issue to me if you can sit down and interview a guy. They're there to get weighed in officially for the first and only time ever for many of these guys. And guys are going to spend the next two months calling you too small if you're 195, and calling you a monster if you're 210. A gallon of water weighs 8 pounds... A lot of these guys are drinking as much water as they can to weigh in higher.

I mean ideally nobody wants a diluted sample but it happens to guys every year. I really don't think it moves his draft spot even 1 position.

Hope not. He was at the top of my wish list. Now its TJ Watt or Obi.