• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 Draft

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly, a scorned bitch is the perfect explanation. The man claims to have no ill-will towards the team but he wastes little time throwing them under the bus every chance he gets.
Speaking of, did anyone/everyone see TB immediately throw Chuck under the bus right after the Lombardi presentation and declare BB the best coach ever. Fortunately BB has some class and completely no sold/blew off TB's proclamation and instead praised his players and fans.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of, did anyone/everyone see TB immediately throw Chuck under the bus right after the Lombardi presentation and declare BB the best coach ever. Fortunately BB has some class and completely no sold/blew off TB's proclamation and instead praised his players and fans.

Yeah, but 4 vs 5 is kind of like 14 vs 18 in golf.

TB is what he is...like I said earlier...acts like a scorned bitch.

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, but 4 vs 5 is kind of like 14 vs 18 in golf.

TB is what he is...like I said earlier...acts like a scorned bitch.
Yup, wouldn't even say Chuck's name as the coach BB passed by winning his 5th SB.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steelers release Justin Gilbert

Confused by this @ATL96Steeler ... Why trade for the guy and give him no chance to prove himself, and then release him 5 months later? :L

Guess we can vault CB towards the top of the draft needs again

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Confused by this @ATL96Steeler ... Why trade for the guy and give him no chance to prove himself, and then release him 5 months later? :L

Really scratching my head for answers here... Tomlin said from the beginning that he wouldn't have a chance to start this last season unless injuries forced him into action. He comes in and does everything asked of him and starts to learn the system thinking he could come in and possibly make a difference next year. Now they cut him? There better be a damn good reason for this (drugs or other off-field issues, or maybe he himself wanted out?) or else this will piss me off.

Any bets on whether the Ravens pick him up and he becomes an instant impact player? smh

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I guess they feel they are so stocked at the position they could afford to cut him...my thing is they're showing a tendency here lately to piss away late rd draft picks.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess they feel they are so stocked at the position they could afford to cut him...my thing is they're showing a tendency here lately to piss away late rd draft picks.
I definitely don't feel like they are stocked... Hopin my sarcasm detector needs tuning lol

I know Gilbert has shown previous issues with motivation. Sometimes these types of players just don't have the mental ability to keep their head in the game. Sad but true. I was hoping that the rock solid foundation of that locker room & championship culture would have been enough to turn his career around. Wishful thinking...

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I definitely don't feel like they are stocked... Hopin my sarcasm detector needs tuning lol

I know Gilbert has shown previous issues with motivation. Sometimes these types of players just don't have the mental ability to keep their head in the game. Sad but true. I was hoping that the rock solid foundation of that locker room & championship culture would have been enough to turn his career around. Wishful thinking...

If a top 10 pick is discarded by a team in dire need of talent across the board, it was always a shot in the dark to make Gilbert work.

The late rd picks are disturbing me a little.

For a team that prides itself on building via the draft, it seems like they're forgetting that A. Brown was a 6th pick and starter level can still be found late in the draft...certainly depth players that can be developed.

I think we can realistically look at CB as a top 3 level draft pick this yr.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If a top 10 pick is discarded by a team in dire need of talent across the board, it was always a shot in the dark to make Gilbert work.

The late rd picks are disturbing me a little.

For a team that prides itself on building via the draft, it seems like they're forgetting that A. Brown was a 6th pick and starter level can still be found late in the draft...certainly depth players that can be developed.

I think we can realistically look at CB as a top 3 level draft pick this yr.
If the lowly Browns are discarding you then its a huge red flag. Guess the optimistic in me got too excited when they acquired him because I was a big fan of his coming out of college.

What are the chances that PIT double dips at CB? Probably not very high, but there would be justifications for it.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CB Depth Chart as of right now:

1. Burns
2. Cockrell
3. Gay
4. Shabazz
5. Golson

Reserve/Futures UC
1. Dixon (NW Missou St, 6th Rd pick by NYJ in '14, 2 yrs exp, this is his 6th NFL team signing)
2. Ducre (Washington, UDFA for SD in '14, 2 yrs exp, 4th signing with an NFL team)
3. Hilton (Mississippi, UDFA for JAX in '16, 1 yr PS exp, 3rd signing)

Considering how thin the position is, I'd say double dipping should be a real possibility. I know the coaches love the Golson kid, but he cannot be counted on. Outside of Burns & Cockrell, everyone else is expendable. Gay used to be a savvy vet, but his useful years are probably behind him. And I think Sean Davis has cemented his role at SS, even if he does move into the slot sometimes in big nickel situations, so we can eliminate him from any CB discussions during draft talks.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone know how these ERFA's work? @ATL96Steeler ? Because I just found out that Villanueva is an ERFA. Not sure what sort of advantage that gives the Steelers in contract talks.

List of ERFA's this offseason:
Roosevelt Nix (ERFA) – Signed contract with Steelers on 1/26/17
Cobi Hamilton (ERFA) – Signed contract with Steelers on 1/27/17

Alejandro Villanueva (ERFA)
Anthony Chickillo (ERFA)
Chris Boswell (ERFA)
Fitzgerald Toussaint (ERFA) – Signed contract with Steelers on 1/31/17
Jordan Dangerfield (ERFA) – Signed contract with Steelers on 1/27/17

Xavier Grimble (ERFA)
B.J. Finney (ERFA)
Valerian Ume-Ezeoke (ERFA)
Cole Manhart (ERFA)
Kevin Anderson (ERFA) - Who the shit is this?
UDPATE!

Steelers re-sign exclusive rights free agent kicker Chris Boswell

Steelers re-sign exclusive rights free agent TE Xavier Grimble

List of ERFA's this offseason:
Roosevelt Nix (ERFA) – Signed contract with Steelers on 1/26/17
Cobi Hamilton (ERFA) – Signed contract with Steelers on 1/27/17

Alejandro Villanueva (ERFA)
Anthony Chickillo (ERFA)
Chris Boswell (ERFA) - Signed contract with Steelers on 2/2/17
Fitzgerald Toussaint (ERFA) – Signed contract with Steelers on 1/31/17
Jordan Dangerfield (ERFA) – Signed contract with Steelers on 1/27/17

Xavier Grimble (ERFA) - Signed contract with Steelers on 2/7/17
B.J. Finney (ERFA)
Valerian Ume-Ezeoke (ERFA)
Cole Manhart (ERFA)
Kevin Anderson (ERFA)

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the lowly Browns are discarding you then its a huge red flag. Guess the optimistic in me got too excited when they acquired him because I was a big fan of his coming out of college.

What are the chances that PIT double dips at CB? Probably not very high, but there would be justifications for it.

The writing was one the wall when they accepted a 6th rd pick. But, given some of his reported problems were not physical, but attitude related, I too thought being around a winning environment would motivate him to be the best he could be. He never really got a chance in games but apparently there was not enough in practice to warrant more time on DEF.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CB Depth Chart as of right now:

1. Burns
2. Cockrell
3. Gay
4. Shabazz
5. Golson

Reserve/Futures UC
1. Dixon (NW Missou St, 6th Rd pick by NYJ in '14, 2 yrs exp, this is his 6th NFL team signing)
2. Ducre (Washington, UDFA for SD in '14, 2 yrs exp, 4th signing with an NFL team)
3. Hilton (Mississippi, UDFA for JAX in '16, 1 yr PS exp, 3rd signing)

Considering how thin the position is, I'd say double dipping should be a real possibility. I know the coaches love the Golson kid, but he cannot be counted on. Outside of Burns & Cockrell, everyone else is expendable. Gay used to be a savvy vet, but his useful years are probably behind him. And I think Sean Davis has cemented his role at SS, even if he does move into the slot sometimes in big nickel situations, so we can eliminate him from any CB discussions during draft talks.

Current depth chart.

Clearly not enough talent there...Burns has potential to be a top 15 CB in this league, just needs a little more experience, the skills are there...solid pick.

Cockrell...imo he's average, but could be a little better if allowed to play bump-n-run man...as a zone defender, he's just okay. Still young, so we can hope for improvement, but he might be as good as he's going to get.

Gay..."probably behind him"...you're being very kind Face. Gay should not be starting...they say the drop off at CB is like falling off a cliff...we saw it with Champ Bailey, and Revis just this past season. Great guy, but his skill set is not for this league anymore, again not as a starter or a guy that's going to log significant snaps. Maybe as a CB4.

Shabazz...has the size you like for an outside CB, but looks like depth player...young, hopefully there is some upside to his game, but can't count on him.

Golson...I'm going to remain positive with this kid from hopeful standpoint, but I have zero confidence that he will play for the Steelers in '17.

To summarize, right now they have an up and coming player in Burns. A pretty decent but mostly average guy in Cockrell. The rest are past their prime or question marks.

It's a lock Colbert and Tomlin are going to have to make some changes here...unless they go for a mid level FA, I expect 2 CBs in this draft.

At 30...OLB, CB, TE, FS, ILB...hopefully BPA is one of those positions and pretty much in that order.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Being a GA boy, I've always liked JJ, but as a pass rusher, he was just not that guy at this level and I had a feeling of this even back on draft day. I wanted Alec Ogletree who had been in some minor trouble @ UGA and slid to the Rams at the bottom of the 1st round.

Wish JJ well, he does have a place in this league maybe as 4-3 OLB, or even ILB...he's just not an edge rusher.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Being a GA boy, I've always liked JJ, but as a pass rusher, he was just not that guy at this level and I had a feeling of this even back on draft day. I wanted Alec Ogletree who had been in some minor trouble @ UGA and slid to the Rams at the bottom of the 1st round.

Wish JJ well, he does have a place in this league maybe as 4-3 OLB, or even ILB...he's just not an edge rusher.
I do recall this well. You were spot on with that assessment during that offseason.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After chatting with some Steeler draftheads...some names to look for at CB.

Cameron Sutton, TN...supposedly can play outside and slot.

Cameron Sutton | Tennessee, CB : 2017 NFL Draft Scout Player Profile

Chidobe Auwie, Colo...also reportedly can play slot and outside, but with his closing burst could excel in a zone scheme.

2017 NFL Draft: Colorado Chidobe Awuzie Scouting Report

Reportedly the Steelers have shown interest in Sutton...we can look at these names at the combine.
For those that like the show & tell...
5'11" 182 & 6'0" 205... Love the physicality of both. Looks like they know both press & zone schemes. Good speed and field awareness.