• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015 Rosterbation

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Casey McGehee, huh? :L

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say this every week

SIGN MONCADA!!!!!! Screw Kang. Just throw our money at Moncada

67aae029d587ddfc8ad254cf957da8371fa7727f.jpg

"Perhaps you'd like to screw Kang after I've HACKED YOU TO BITS!!!"

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank goodness we did not include Strickland and/or Duffy. Curious to see the haul. I'm fine with McGee; stopgap, cheap. We can overpay now for a LFer, if need be.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Done deal now. He is the new 3rd baseman. 2 low level pitching prospects were the price.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
pitchers Kendry Flores and Luis Castillo were the ones traded

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
pitchers Kendry Flores and Luis Castillo were the ones traded

Flores was added to the 40-man last offseason, makes sense that he was traded as we need to clear space. He, like many other Giants pitching prospects had a big 2013, but down 2014. I had hopes for him, but he was expendable. 4-5 ML starter at max. Castillo is old for his league, but throws hard and could have a future. But he too is expendable.

No matter what you think of Hits McGee, the Giants gave up little and have plenty of money to spend on a LFer, or prospect power to trade for a LFer.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flores is a surprising piece to add. Castillo wasn't even on my radar, so I will need to look into him a bit.

Flores is young, and if we get a 2-year semi-solution in return for him, I guess I am OK with that.

So McGehee takes Flores' 40 spot. We still need to account for Peavy.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forgot about Romo.

We actually need to clear two 40 spots.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flores is a surprising piece to add. Castillo wasn't even on my radar, so I will need to look into him a bit.

Flores is young, and if we get a 2-year semi-solution in return for him, I guess I am OK with that.

So McGehee takes Flores' 40 spot. We still need to account for Peavy.

Ditto on Castillo; I'm not familiar with him. The only Luis Castillo I know was a former Fish 2b, who's like 40 and hasn't played since we won our FIRST trophy.

Reefer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the McGehee move. Cheap for 1 year, gave up 1 OK prospect, and he has been a productive player in his career. If he repeats what he did last year and some of that power comes back, he'll put up pretty similar numbers to Pablo the past few years.

Has anyone heard anything about Allen Craig? I think he could be a good buy low option. Boston has Hanley in LF, Castillo likely in CF and Voctiorino, Bradley, Betts and Holt in the mix for RF/bench. Napoli at 1B and Ortiz DH. He has a 3 years left on his deal, 5.5M in 15, 9M in 2016 and 11 in 2017 w/ a 13M club option (1M buyout) in 2018. I know he has a rough year last season, but I think he could replace a bit of what Morse gave us last season. That 20M over that last 2 years could be an issue, maybe Boston kicks a little cash or maybe it costs a mid tier prospect, but its something I would explore.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the McGehee move. Cheap for 1 year, gave up 1 OK prospect, and he has been a productive player in his career. If he repeats what he did last year and some of that power comes back, he'll put up pretty similar numbers to Pablo the past few years.

Has anyone heard anything about Allen Craig? I think he could be a good buy low option. Boston has Hanley in LF, Castillo likely in CF and Voctiorino, Bradley, Betts and Holt in the mix for RF/bench. Napoli at 1B and Ortiz DH. He has a 3 years left on his deal, 5.5M in 15, 9M in 2016 and 11 in 2017 w/ a 13M club option (1M buyout) in 2018. I know he has a rough year last season, but I think he could replace a bit of what Morse gave us last season. That 20M over that last 2 years could be an issue, maybe Boston kicks a little cash or maybe it costs a mid tier prospect, but its something I would explore.

I don't hate Craig, but I am far from convinced he is a fit for us. His defense in Left would be SCARY bad, and he would need to hit like Mitchell to make up for it. He has a history as a near-elite hitter, but he has that shown that recently.

What would it cost? If we send someone like Williamson (no idea if Boston would even be interested in an OF prospect), would he be enough for the Sox to eat half the contract? A third? Would we be willing to give up Mack in that trade either way?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As the roster stands now, I figure our lineup looks something like this...

CF - Pagan
2B - Panik
1B - Belt
C - Posey
RF - Pence
3B - McGehee
LF - Blanco
SS - Crawford

Yikes. We NEED a LF...

Reefer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't hate Craig, but I am far from convinced he is a fit for us. His defense in Left would be SCARY bad, and he would need to hit like Mitchell to make up for it. He has a history as a near-elite hitter, but he has that shown that recently.

What would it cost? If we send someone like Williamson (no idea if Boston would even be interested in an OF prospect), would he be enough for the Sox to eat half the contract? A third? Would we be willing to give up Mack in that trade either way?

I agree his defense leaves ALOT to be desired, but Blanco would still be available to be a defensive replacement. We got by with Morse's defense and while I'm no expert in defensive stats like UZR and such, Craig's are better than Morse's, though he is definitely well below average. So I think hitting like Mitchell is a bit of an overstatement, though he would have to put up 2011-13 numbers to make it worth it.

He had a bad year last year, but in 2013 he hit .315/373/457/830 13HR 97RBI. I'm not saying he is the answer or that he would revert back to his 2013 numbers, just think he could be a good trade option. I wouldn't want to give up someone the FO thinks could be a contributor soon, I was thinking more like a low minor arms like Rogers, Minzenko or Johnson etc. (future mid RP) and obviously depending upon what Boston is willing to eat would determine the value of the prospect/prospects. Like I said, just a name I find interesting that I hadn't heard much about.

Funny you bring up Mitchell, when Tomas signed with Arizona, I'm not sure where I heard it, but a scout was comparing him to Mitchell. Pretty interesting comparison as I haven't heard Mitchell's name in years. He played a lot of 3B though until that MVP season and Tomas supposed to play 3B/OF and built thick.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As the roster stands now, I figure our lineup looks something like this...

CF - Pagan
2B - Panik
1B - Belt
C - Posey
RF - Pence
3B - McGehee
LF - Blanco
SS - Crawford

Yikes. We NEED a LF...
Yep. IMHO, Rasmus is looking more and more like the right move. Put him in cf, and move oxy to lf.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just putting this out there to gauge where you all are thinking...

Crawford to San Diego for Smith

The Pads get their badly needed, proven SS. The Giants get a LF/CF who can hit #3 or #6. The Giants have a bit if depth at SS with Duffy, EA and Arias (as well as Panik as a movable piece).

Would that get it done, or would one side need to sweeten the pot? SS is a position of scarcity, but Smith is the better bat.

Kendal

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Pads get their badly needed, proven SS. The Giants get a LF/CF who can hit #3 or #6. The Giants have a bit if depth at SS with Duffy, EA and Arias (as well as Panik as a movable piece).

Would that get it done, or would one side need to sweeten the pot? SS is a position of scarcity, but Smith is the better bat.

I think you are overrating Seth Smith here. He is typically is a 1 WAR player, while Crawford is worth over 2 wins. I think Blanco + platoon partner + Crawford is better than Smith + Duffy.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Interesting idea, but no.

Smith is an offensive wash with Crawford, as I see it. Smith has a higher OBP, but average and power numbers are almost identical. WAR for the past four years has Crawford at 8.2 and Smith at 6.8

Smith is owed $20 million for the next three years with a club option or buyout for year four.

I don't see this as an upgrade. It would potentially solve our LF hole, but leave a hole at SS, though I think EA and/or Duffy could become pretty decent players.