• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015 Rosterbation

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This Kang posting thing is weird. How do we not know what team has won the bid yet? Maybe the Padres won the bid and expect him to be their SS.

I do like Seth Smith a lot and his offensive numbers are not a wash with Craw's, he is a stronger hitter with more pop and is very disciplined. But I wouldn't do Craw for Smith. Craw has steadily improved his OBP and SLG every year in the majors, I believe he's established himself as a top-10 SS in baseball. I wouldn't mind seeing both in our lineup.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Referring to Casey McGee. Now, maybe the timing was just a coincidence or Sabean is just brilliant enough to sit and wait on the Marlins until they were in a position of weakness and then strike a trade for McGee (the Marlins had just pounced on a trade for Martin Prado to play 3B). I'll go with the latter.

It also tells us how weak the market is/was.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just putting this out there to gauge where you all are thinking...

Crawford to San Diego for Smith

The Pads get their badly needed, proven SS. The Giants get a LF/CF who can hit #3 or #6. The Giants have a bit if depth at SS with Duffy, EA and Arias (as well as Panik as a movable piece).

Would that get it done, or would one side need to sweeten the pot? SS is a position of scarcity, but Smith is the better bat.

No way should we trade Crawford. He has not hit his prime yet. He will be a huge combined WAR player the next five years.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm leery of relying on Broken Timmy for a rotation spot.

He's a solid 5th starter and there isn't anyone coming in to the team who is any better. An option from within though might be Petit. I think he was the second best pitcher on the team last year and has earned a shot at the rotation.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just putting this out there to gauge where you all are thinking...

Crawford to San Diego for Smith

The Pads get their badly needed, proven SS. The Giants get a LF/CF who can hit #3 or #6. The Giants have a bit if depth at SS with Duffy, EA and Arias (as well as Panik as a movable piece).

Would that get it done, or would one side need to sweeten the pot? SS is a position of scarcity, but Smith is the better bat.

Absolutely not. He's a cornerstone of the lineup. He's only going to get better as a hitter if they'll finally get him out of the 8 hole.

Sandisfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was reading at the un-Entertianing and sometimesSPorts Network that Casey McGehee has about 2x power of Joaquin Arias which isn't much but he also hits into to a high rate of GIDPs. I don't hate this trade but I also don't expect too much. He could be a stop gap for a half a season but I still think he doesn't really improve the lineup much. lf it weren't for Panik showing me he could be pretty darned good, the infield would be a disaster hitting relatively speaking. As it stands now I see this team as a slightly above average team next year that stays close enough to a playoff spot to say hey they were in it until about 7 to 10 games left.

P.S. I really wanted to keep Panda and until they get a good replacement 3rd base it will be a weakness at bat to go along with LF and without Pagan CF will be a weakness at the plate. If you are counting that would be 4 relatively easy outs including the pitching spot.

P.S. Things could change, but the present hitting lineup could be pitched around where there are good hitters. There could well be a large number of men left on base from the back of the lineup once the number six spot comes up.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was reading at the un-Entertianing and sometimesSPorts Network that Casey McGehee has about 2x power of Joaquin Arias which isn't much but he also hits into to a high rate of GIDPs. I don't hate this trade but I also don't expect too much. He could be a stop gap for a half a season but I still think he doesn't really improve the lineup much. lf it weren't for Panik showing me he could be pretty darned good, the infield would be a disaster hitting relatively speaking. As it stands now I see this team as a slightly above average team next year that stays close enough to a playoff spot to say hey they were in it until about 7 to 10 games left.

P.S. I really wanted to keep Panda and until they get a good replacement 3rd base it will be a weakness at bat to go along with LF and without Pagan CF will be a weakness at the plate. If you are counting that would be 4 relatively easy outs including the pitching spot.

P.S. Things could change, but the present hitting lineup could be pitched around where there are good hitters. There could well be a large number of men left on base from the back of the lineup once the number six spot comes up.

McGee is certainly a stopgap, probably a one-year thing. He has more pop than what he showed last year, but nothing spectacular. I don't think our infield will be a disaster, Craw was a top 10 SS with the bat last year, Belt was dealing with concussions last year, but bounced back when he returned (.840 OPS in September).

Pagan is not a weakness at the plate, he's above average. Problem is, we cannot rely on him for more than half a season anymore, which makes getting at least a decent LFer important because Blanco will probably be manning CF again for a good portion of the season.

In the NL, many lineups stagger at the 7-8-9 spots anyway, 1-6 should be solid when fully healthy but as is our problem most years we need more OF depth. If we go into 2015 with Blanco penciled in for LF adn Pagan for CF, we're screwed. But, there is still time to make a move.

Sandisfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McGee is certainly a stopgap, probably a one-year thing. He has more pop than what he showed last year, but nothing spectacular. I don't think our infield will be a disaster, Craw was a top 10 SS with the bat last year, Belt was dealing with concussions last year, but bounced back when he returned (.840 OPS in September).

Pagan is not a weakness at the plate, he's above average. Problem is, we cannot rely on him for more than half a season anymore, which makes getting at least a decent LFer important because Blanco will probably be manning CF again for a good portion of the season.

In the NL, many lineups stagger at the 7-8-9 spots anyway, 1-6 should be solid when fully healthy but as is our problem most years we need more OF depth. If we go into 2015 with Blanco penciled in for LF adn Pagan for CF, we're screwed. But, there is still time to make a move.

I agree there is still time to shore things up, but the comment about the infield was without the showing by Panik there would only be one infield player (Belt) who would elevate (hitting wise) the offense above average. If Panik isn't as good as he looked last year then yes the infield offense would be in the bottom third in offensive production, with a good Panik probably 8th to 12th best in offense or maybe a bit better.

Also yes I meant if Pagan is not out there for at least 2/3rds of the season then the offense will be pretty weak.

I am still concerned about the starting pitching and there is the possibility that this team if they have a couple of position players and pitchers have down years the Giants could be drafting pretty high not this upcoming draft but the next.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's putting it mildly. He led the league in that category.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We can't (until June). He signed a new contract, can't be traded until June.

Dangit, Marco. You and your rules! :gaah:

OK, this makes it tougher. Affeldt for Seth Smith?

(gotta give to get...)

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In 2016 Cespedes is a free agent, and we will have money to spend.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Romo deal became official today.

I guess the Arb guys do not count towards the 40-man until they actually sign, because this puts us at 41 (not counting Peavey, which still, technically, is not official)