• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015 PGA...last major played anchoring

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No more anchoring the putter...is this the end of top golfers like Adam Scott, who went to the shorter putter for a while with terrible results and scrambled back to his crutch.

For clarity, the long putter are still legal, but effective Jan. 1 2016, you can no longer anchor the putter to your body to aid in the putting stroke...imo long overdue for the guys that play for pay!

Your thoughts?

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll be glad to see it go. I thought it was kind of sad seeing one of the most in shape guys on the tour using something that was designed for older golfers.

Win TWINS!!!

Least Racist Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No more anchoring the putter...is this the end of top golfers like Adam Scott, who went to the shorter putter for a while with terrible results and scrambled back to his crutch.

For clarity, the long putter are still legal, but effective Jan. 1 2016, you can no longer anchor the putter to your body to aid in the putting stroke...imo long overdue for the guys that play for pay!

Your thoughts?

I agree. LONG overdue.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tim Clark, he's probably gonna give it try but it's been a long time since he wielded a standard length putter. Kuchar has been working on a non-anchoring method with a belly putter. Bradley is not as confident w/o it.

But...shame on them because the USGA gave them a 2 or 3 years to get ready for it.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's kinda a shame that the long putter cloud will likely never go away for Scott. It will always be insinuated (like in this thread :whistle:) that his accomplishment like his Masters win would have never come to pass without his long putter.

Let's not forget Scott is one of the best ball strikers on tour. Year after year he is usually on the top 20 or better in GIR. And when he won the Masters, he was #1 in GIR.

Going back to the short putter before the deadline was just dumb. He is playing the best golf of his life the past couple of years. That window of playing great golf could close at anytime, so why grab the short stick when the long was getting it done.

I hope he does not try to use the long putter and not ground it. Get the short putter and go find the best putting coaches out there and start from scratch.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree with those who say that the belly putters or anchored putters needed to go and I'm glad that day is almost upon us.

I wonder if I'm the only who cringes when I see some guys using all manners of funky grips for the putter?

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whatever helps you to maintain your swing plane and have the putter face square at impact.

If that would work by sticking my putter up my ass and waving at the ball, I would try it.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's kinda a shame that the long putter cloud will likely never go away for Scott. It will always be insinuated (like in this thread :whistle:) that his accomplishment like his Masters win would have never come to pass without his long putter.

Let's not forget Scott is one of the best ball strikers on tour. Year after year he is usually on the top 20 or better in GIR. And when he won the Masters, he was #1 in GIR.

Going back to the short putter before the deadline was just dumb. He is playing the best golf of his life the past couple of years. That window of playing great golf could close at anytime, so why grab the short stick when the long was getting it done.

I hope he does not try to use the long putter and not ground it. Get the short putter and go find the best putting coaches out there and start from scratch.

Scott has one of the best golf swings on tour...basically a better version of Tiger's old swing (which makes me wonder why Tiger would fuck with that, but that opens up can of worms like who wouldn't Tiger fuck?)

But, the reality is...Scott was not able to get over the major hump until he anchored...I too hope he can pull it back together, but this year was not a good test...idk if it was dumb or not...he was going to have to take the training wheels off for good next year, so getting a head start was not a bad idea...until it didn't work.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree with those who say that the belly putters or anchored putters needed to go and I'm glad that day is almost upon us.

I wonder if I'm the only who cringes when I see some guys using all manners of funky grips for the putter?

Not so much for me on that one...the fat grips you mean?

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not so much for me on that one...the fat grips you mean?

No, not the grips on the clubs themselves, I'm talking about the funky claw grip or the backwards grip etc. Makes me wanna slap thses guys and tell them the issue is in their head not in their hands.

Dutchis59

Senior Advisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tim Clark, he's probably gonna give it try but it's been a long time since he wielded a standard length putter. Kuchar has been working on a non-anchoring method with a belly putter. Bradley is not as confident w/o it.

But...shame on them because the USGA gave them a 2 or 3 years to get ready for it.

ATL96 Kuchar has been using what is called arm locked method with a 42" putter since 2013 and the method he uses is not considered anchoring by the USGA and the R&A. He maybe the only one that has found a way that is comfortable using a longer putter.
Here's a clip of how he uses it.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, not the grips on the clubs themselves, I'm talking about the funky claw grip or the backwards grip etc. Makes me wanna slap thses guys and tell them the issue is in their head not in their hands.

Oh...I'm with you...mental or physical...probably some of both imo, but the yips are real...ran Johnny Miller (and others) off tour.

The funny think is most guys don't stick with these bandaids for long.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ATL96 Kuchar has been using what is called arm locked method with a 42" putter since 2013 and the method he uses is not considered anchoring by the USGA and the R&A. He maybe the only one that has found a way that is comfortable using a longer putter.
Here's a clip of how he uses it.

Thanks...I was actually aware he was doing that but had not seen that video.