• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015-2016 Oscars / 88th Academy Awards

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It IS possible to give a flying fvck about the politics of the film-maker and judge a film on its merits alone. I wouldn't agree with Mel Gibson on much politically, but the man has made some top notch films in his day.

Does Hollywood sometimes skew? Sure.

But just as often they're going to skew towards art from commercial, as opposed to most Americans #1 bloodsport L v R.

But I gotta ask now Guns, since I indeed haven't seen 13 hours, but what would be some other examples of great Micheal Bay movies?

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually it was the best film I've seen in quite awhile but it came out too late to qualify for an Oscar for 2014. You probably never even saw it.

The movie had no chance at an Oscar regardless of when it was released lmao. It's Michael Bay and certified rotten on rotten tomatoes.

I am a huge James Badge Dale fan though. He needs more leading roles

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oscars are kinda a joke but the official nominations have been released.

Any surprises? The Revenant and Mad Max lead the way in noms.

The black/white controversy won't fade with Compton and Elba(wtf) being passed over.

Surprised but pleased that Hardy snuck in with his nom.

I think Best Actor and Actress are the only real locks.

Compton wasn't a very good movie. Tell me you didn't cringe several times throughout that movie, it was no fault of the actors though, they were great.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Friends of mine who have seen The Revenant really didn't care for it at all. I have yet to hear a good comment about it other than Leo's performance. One friend, who goes to at least one movie per week, ranked it a 2 on a 10 point scale. He said that the theater was packed but every comment that he heard from the other moviegoers as he was walking out was negative.

Here's another comment, Tom Hardy is a fucking acting beast.

SDPaddlefish

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,390.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's another comment, Tom Hardy is a fucking acting beast.
I don't go to many movies, but my friend who does (he actually keeps a log of movies he's seen, when he saw them, and what he thought of them. Has kept this log since the '70's) thinks Hardy is one of the best actors out there, so there's much agreement there.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Compton wasn't a very good movie. Tell me you didn't cringe several times throughout that movie, it was no fault of the actors though, they were great.

Many people had it scoring a nom though. It was very well received and 10 movies can be nominated.

So I was just pointing out that the talk won't die down.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Many people had it scoring a nom though. It was very well received and 10 movies can be nominated.

So I was just pointing out that the talk won't die down.

That's fair. I guess I'm just surprised people feel that way. I'd hardly even call it a biopic, there was a ton of things that didn't actually happen. As a lifelong fan of hip hop, I've heard interviews with MC Ren, BG Knocc Out (a writer for Eazy E), Jerry Heller, DJ Yella, Cold 187um (a producer at Ruthless), The D.O.C (a writer for NWA) all talking about the amount of stuff in that movie that didn't actually happen. This lessens the movie in my eyes, besides the cringe-inducing lines like "What you gon call that shit?.... Aftermath".

It does not deserve a nom in my opinion.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
stallone will win

i hope dicaprio finally wins. haven't even seen the revenant yet, but losing on blood diamond and the aviator still doesn't feel right to me, no matter how great the oscar winners were those years.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't watch movies like Mad Max, The Martian, Creed, The Revenant, Hateful Eight, Sicario?

Even movies that are less geared for the general audience like The Big Short, Bridge of Spies, Steve Jobs, Ex Machina, etc. were all really good films.

If your idea of a great movie is a Michael Bay film then yes the Oscars isn't for you.

Another overlooked Oscar snub. That movie was fantastic. Should have gotten a Best Picture nom

{+}Mother-Marge{+}

Hoopla Cash
$ 50.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
....any opinions on the ''black-boycott'' of the Oscars next month,......Will Smith's wife is pissed that her hubby's movie didn't get nom. for anything for ''Concussion'',......I guess there are no African-americans nom. this year so she's bitchin/crying and even putting pressure on chris rock to ''pull-out'' of hosting-duties,too.,.....I think the last decade there've been many awards/nominees by black-americans and nobody complained, ...so why fkkn now..?,.....and Spike-Lee got an ~honorary-Oscar~ this year [why?] and will not show up next month either,....fkk-him/2.

Center Ice

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,004.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I predict I won't watch the Oscars and probably won't like the movie that wins best pic......again!

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I basically dont watch the show. It is super boring and annoying watching a bunch of pretentious assholes throwing their shoulders out patting themselves on the back.

BUT...

I love movies, and do pay attention to who wins the big prizes (pic and 4 actor categories).

I expect Revenant to win, and I would be OK with it, even though I was not a fan of the movie itself. I am pulling for Mad Max, but H8 would have been my pick, had it been nominated. I have only seen 3 of the noms, though, so I will see the winner if it isnt one I have seen.

Leo deserves actor. I have only seen Leo and Damon, though.

For Actress, I have only seen Joy, and I didnt think Lawrence did anything particularly special. No opinion, other than I hope she does not win.

For supporting actor, I have only seen Creed and Revenant. Stalone was good, but Hardy was REALLY good in Revenant.

Supporting Actress - I have only seen H8. I thought JJL was the one member of the cast that did not nail it. I want H8 to win SOMETHING, but not this. No further opinion.

{+}Mother-Marge{+}

Hoopla Cash
$ 50.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
stallone will win

i hope dicaprio finally wins. haven't even seen the revenant yet, but losing on blood diamond and the aviator still doesn't feel right to me, no matter how great the oscar winners were those years.
....amazing acting/speaking like a South-African in ''Blood Diamond'',...great-flick,....one of those movies I seem to always watch/channel-surfing esp. when it first came out.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The movie had no chance at an Oscar regardless of when it was released lmao. It's Michael Bay and certified rotten on rotten tomatoes.

I am a huge James Badge Dale fan though. He needs more leading roles

I agree, he's great.