• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016-2017 Oscars / 89th Academy Awards

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oscar Noms were announced this morning.

Best Picture

Arrival
Fences
Hacksaw Ridge
Hell or High Water
Hidden Figures
La La Land
Lion
Manchester By the Sea
Moonlight

I have only seen HoHW, and IMHO, that was not a Best Pic-level movie. Based purely on reviews I have seen and the general buzz, I expect Hidden Figures to win. But La La Land could surprise, as HF, Fences and Moonlight might split the vote. No chance for Arrival, Hacksaw Ridge or Manchester.

Actor

Casey Affleck
Andrew Garfield
Ryan Gosling
Virgo Mortensen
Denzel Washington

I haven't seen any of these movies. Based on buzz, I expect Affleck to win.

Actress

Isabelle Huppert
Ruth Negga (Holy shit, seriously!?)
Natalie Portman
Emma Stone
Meryl Streep

I have no idea where this will go. TV Sci Fi actress, Ruth Negga gets a nod? I have never even heard of "Loving", but i am shocked that Negga (Preacher, Misfits) gets this kind of bump.

BigFin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think LaLa Land wins Best Picture.

Everyone's been talking about Fences. I expect Denzel to win Best Actor.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Best Picture

Arrival
Fences
Hacksaw Ridge
Hell or High Water
Hidden Figures
La La Land
Lion
Manchester By the Sea
Moonlight

I have only seen HoHW, and IMHO, that was not a Best Pic-level movie. Based purely on reviews I have seen and the general buzz, I expect Hidden Figures to win. But La La Land could surprise, as HF, Fences and Moonlight might split the vote. No chance for Arrival, Hacksaw Ridge or Manchester.

Actor

Casey Affleck
Andrew Garfield
Ryan Gosling
Virgo Mortensen
Denzel Washington

I haven't seen any of these movies. Based on buzz, I expect Affleck to win.

Actress

Isabelle Huppert
Natalie Portman
Emma Stone
Meryl Streep

I have no idea where this will go. TV Sci Fi actress, Ruth Negga gets a nod? I have never even heard of "Loving", but i am shocked that Negga (Preacher, Misfits) gets this kind of bump.
Hacksaw Ridge is the best picture in my opinion.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I absolutely loved Hell or High Water. I doubt it will win best picture but I think it will have the most legs of any of these films down the road.

La La Land was a good but not great movie. No way Ryan Gosling should be given a best actor nod. He was fine but at times he was really wooden and can't really sing.

Planning to see Hidden Figures this week. Arrival and Moonlight are on the todo list.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I absolutely loved Hell or High Water. I doubt it will win best picture but I think it will have the most legs of any of these films down the road.

La La Land was a good but not great movie. No way Ryan Gosling should be given a best actor nod. He was fine but at times he was really wooden and can't really sing.

Planning to see Hidden Figures this week. Arrival and Moonlight are on the todo list.
For me, I really want to see Lion, Arrival, Hacksaw Ridge and Manchester. The only movie that absolutely does not interest me is La La Land.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For me, I really want to see Lion, Arrival, Hacksaw Ridge and Manchester. The only movie that absolutely does not interest me is La La Land.

La La Land was fine. If you hate musicals then you will hate this probably but otherwise it was a decent enough movie.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
La La Land was fine. If you hate musicals then you will hate this probably but otherwise it was a decent enough movie.
Yea...

I can't stand musicals.

I am OK with comedic musicals (Mel Brooks, Team America...) but the genre in general just makes no sense to me.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have seen Arrival and Hell on high Water...

Neither of them WON it for me... But both were very good movies...

I tried watching Hacksaw Ridge, but a good copy is not yet available on KODI...

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hacksaw Ridge brings Mel back into the game, but WAAAAY too syrupy and overwrought to win Best Picture. I liked it, was much better than I thought it would be. Best pic, nahhh.

Mondo Jay

Wine Mafia
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,690.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haven't seen any of the movies nominated. It seems the older I get, the less I care about going to and seeing movies. I probably go 2-3 times a year.

I did see Revenant last year though.

Center Ice

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,004.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sadly, the film that wins Best Picture is, most times, the one I regret having to sit through. :noidea:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sadly, the film that wins Best Picture is, most times, the one I regret having to sit through. :noidea:
There tends to be a lot of politics involved with awarding the Best Pic. And I am not only talking about D.C. Politics. I am referring to Hollywood politics as well. They tend to shun movies that are in popular genres (sci fi, comedy or romance, for example). Movies about the inside game of Hollywood tend to do real well (in La La Land's favor) as do alt-genres (again a plus for La La Land). "Brave" movies also do well (LLL, Moonlight, HF, maybe Lion)

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Best Picture
Arrival
Fences
Hacksaw Ridge
Hell or High Water
Hidden Figures
La La Land
Lion
Manchester By the Sea
Moonlight

Actor
Casey Affleck
Andrew Garfield
Ryan Gosling
Virgo Mortensen
Denzel Washington

Actress
Isabelle Huppert
Natalie Portman
Emma Stone
Meryl Streep
I've seen most of the best picture nominations. For best pic, I think Fences or LaLa gets it, but I could see Hell or High Water or possibly Hacksaw being the surprise choice. OTOH, I'll be shocked if Hidden Figures or Arrival win best picture.

For best actor, it's gonna be Affleck or Washington--I'll be very surprised if it's anyone else. Actress...I honestly have no idea.

Having an Oscar field with so many minority-heavy movies in it would mean a little more to me if there hadn't been so much whining from undeserving parties about the lack of minority nominations last year.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm placing my bets on Tyler Perry's NASA for best picture.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I havent seen it but have heard about it and how good she is supposed to be in it for six months or so. Oddly enough comedian Nick Kroll is supposed to be really good in it.

Melman

DA BEARS!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,046.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I've heard great things about Hell or High Water; it's in my Netflix queue, and I'm really looking forward to watching it. Arrival was awesome... one of my favorites from last year. I haven't seen all the actress-nominated films, but it's a shame Amy Adams wasn't included.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Having an Oscar field with so many minority-heavy movies in it would mean a little more to me if there hadn't been so much whining from undeserving parties about the lack of minority nominations last year.

Or the harumphing this year? :)

4thstreet

You should pay me for being here!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,850.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There tends to be a lot of politics involved with awarding the Best Pic. And I am not only talking about D.C. Politics. I am referring to Hollywood politics as well. They tend to shun movies that are in popular genres (sci fi, comedy or romance, for example). Movies about the inside game of Hollywood tend to do real well (in La La Land's favor) as do alt-genres (again a plus for La La Land). "Brave" movies also do well (LLL, Moonlight, HF, maybe Lion)

Based on that-Meryl Streep wins best actress,and gets another chance to rip into Trump