• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015-2016 Off Season Thread

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ken Rosenthal Retweeted
KGrZ8WRj_bigger.jpe Jon Morosi ‏@jonmorosi 7h7 hours ago

Mike Napoli has good rapport with #Mariners manager Scott Servais from their time in Texas; could be option for Seattle if they move Trumbo.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reports that the Braves have been shopping first baseman Freddie Freeman.

Several league sources called Freeman "the talk of the Arizona Fall League" as general manager John Coppolella has been talking to several clubs. Prevailing wisdom is that the Braves would like to shed salary this winter, and Freeman is still owed $116.5 million over the next six

--------------------------

Now we are talking. He would be a great fit in our lineup at a need position. Paxton, Peterson, Taylor, and Montgomery for Freeman and Maybin (salary dump).

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reports that the Braves have been shopping first baseman Freddie Freeman.

Several league sources called Freeman "the talk of the Arizona Fall League" as general manager John Coppolella has been talking to several clubs. Prevailing wisdom is that the Braves would like to shed salary this winter, and Freeman is still owed $116.5 million over the next six

--------------------------
Now we are talking. He would be a great fit in our lineup at a need position. Paxton, Peterson, Taylor, and Montgomery for Freeman and Maybin (salary dump).

Interesting idea. That is a huge salary dump for the Braves.

I don't think you would have to put Peterson in that mix and I'm not ready for the Mariners to give up on him yet. I think the Braves could sell the trade to their fans easier if it was Freeman for Paxton and Trumbo. They would only have to pay Trumbo for one year and then he would be an FA.

I think the big question is, would Dipoto be willing to add another player with a salary north of $14 million a year? Freeman would become our fifth guy paid that much and the payroll distribution would become even more unbalanced than it already is.

But, if we have to give someone else $14+ million a year, I'd rather it be Freeman than Iwakuma.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting idea. That is a huge salary dump for the Braves.

I don't think you would have to put Peterson in that mix and I'm not ready for the Mariners to give up on him yet. I think the Braves could sell the trade to their fans easier if it was Freeman for Paxton and Trumbo. They would only have to pay Trumbo for one year and then he would be an FA.

I think the big question is, would Dipoto be willing to add another player with a salary north of $14 million a year? Freeman would become our fifth guy paid that much and the payroll distribution would become even more unbalanced than it already is.

But, if we have to give someone else $14+ million a year, I'd rather it be Freeman than Iwakuma.

I think they want more controllable players though they did take on Aybar and his one year deal so maybe you have a point.

As far as Peterson goes, I would give him up in a deal for Freeman in a heart beat. I am down on him after a bad last year plus if you have Freeman at 1B and Seager at 3B long term then there is no spot for him and I don't want to see another non-outfielder in the outfield...ever.

Freeman > Kuma

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Issue 1: I know Cano started slow this season, but Ellsbury has missed at least 20 games to injury 4 of the last 6 years - including 2 where he missed half the season. I would think that Cano would be the better bat and the healthier player over then next 6 years.

Issue 2: We already have a hole at SS that may or may not be filled in by Ketel Marte, but do we have anyone who plays second base behind Cano? I guess O'Malley could be plugged in there. In the end, this may be just a plug one hole by creating another.

Issue 3: As stated earlier - Ellsbury has a concerning injury history. Maybe not as bead as Guti has, but it should be a concern. An outfield of Franklin Gutierrez, Jacoby Ellsbury, Seth Smith opening day could become Shawn O'Malley, James Jones, Stefen Romero by mid season.

Positive 1: Ellsbury would give Seattle a GG quality CF who would fill in as the lead off hitter and has speed. I expect the M's to be on the move more with the new philosophy, so Ellsbury could also see his SBs go back up. Hitting in a more gap friendly park may help his BA go back up as well.

Positive 2: Ellsbury is younger than Cano (a year) and will be 3 years younger in the final year of the deal.

Positive 3: Though it isn't much - it would save $2.83 million per year until 2020, then up to $19 million in 2021 ($5 million buy out option) & $24 million in 2022-23. So in all, it'll be up to $81 million saved over the life of the remaining contracts. So if Ellsbury stays healthy and relatively productive, that's a huge net. BTW - No deal if the suggested idea sticks and the M's have to pay Cano's full salary for the final 2 years of the contract.

Positive 4: There have been rumors that Cano has been lamenting leaving New York and that he isn't happy playing in Seattle. So, if Ellsbury can be happy here, then it's a net gain in locker room mood.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Issue 1: I know Cano started slow this season, but Ellsbury has missed at least 20 games to injury 4 of the last 6 years - including 2 where he missed half the season. I would think that Cano would be the better bat and the healthier player over then next 6 years.

Issue 2: We already have a hole at SS that may or may not be filled in by Ketel Marte, but do we have anyone who plays second base behind Cano? I guess O'Malley could be plugged in there. In the end, this may be just a plug one hole by creating another.

Issue 3: As stated earlier - Ellsbury has a concerning injury history. Maybe not as bead as Guti has, but it should be a concern. An outfield of Franklin Gutierrez, Jacoby Ellsbury, Seth Smith opening day could become Shawn O'Malley, James Jones, Stefen Romero by mid season.

Positive 1: Ellsbury would give Seattle a GG quality CF who would fill in as the lead off hitter and has speed. I expect the M's to be on the move more with the new philosophy, so Ellsbury could also see his SBs go back up. Hitting in a more gap friendly park may help his BA go back up as well.

Positive 2: Ellsbury is younger than Cano (a year) and will be 3 years younger in the final year of the deal.

Positive 3: Though it isn't much - it would save $2.83 million per year until 2020, then up to $19 million in 2021 ($5 million buy out option) & $24 million in 2022-23. So in all, it'll be up to $81 million saved over the life of the remaining contracts. So if Ellsbury stays healthy and relatively productive, that's a huge net. BTW - No deal if the suggested idea sticks and the M's have to pay Cano's full salary for the final 2 years of the contract.

Positive 4: There have been rumors that Cano has been lamenting leaving New York and that he isn't happy playing in Seattle. So, if Ellsbury can be happy here, then it's a net gain in locker room mood.

Ya I see this as a win more for Yanks than us because while Cano fills a need for them and they have replacement for Ellsbury, we don't have a replacement for Cano with Miller gone. They would have to throw in their young 2B or would have to pay all of Cano's contract to make it worth even thinking about.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya I see this as a win more for Yanks than us because while Cano fills a need for them and they have replacement for Ellsbury, we don't have a replacement for Cano with Miller gone. They would have to throw in their young 2B or would have to pay all of Cano's contract to make it worth even thinking about.

I've never been a fan of paying some other team to take your player. Even @ 39 & 40, is it worth paying the Yankees $48 million just so we don't have to have Cano on our team? It's bad enough to pay a 40 year old $24 million, it's just that much worse to pay that 40 year old $24 million to play for someone else.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've never been a fan of paying some other team to take your player. Even @ 39 & 40, is it worth paying the Yankees $48 million just so we don't have to have Cano on our team? It's bad enough to pay a 40 year old $24 million, it's just that much worse to pay that 40 year old $24 million to play for someone else.

Agreed. I would only do that if we win the trade big with players. Say they throw in Andrew Miller in the deal and then I would pay some money.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seattle dealt Fernando Rodney and Austin Jackson to the Cubs in late August for either a player to be named or cash. I'm told that both cases wound up being cash deals, which usually is a fairly nominal amount, as the Mariners didn't have much bargaining leverage at that point. The Mariners did receive the Cubs' No. 98 international Draft slot as well for Jackson, which gives them an extra $211,100 to use as bonus money to land international players next year.

The "player to be named" in the recent five-player swap with the Rangers is a different deal. Seattle acquired Leonys Martin and Anthony Bass for Tom Wilhelmsen, James Jones and an unnamed player. In this case the two clubs agreed to an additional player who couldn't be included yet for some sort of roster-related reason. Rangers GM Jon Daniels told reporters that player will be a "significant" part of the trade, so I suspect a prospect of some note will wind up going to Texas to complete the package after all the Rule 5 Draft and contract tender dates are cleared up in early December.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seattle dealt Fernando Rodney and Austin Jackson to the Cubs in late August for either a player to be named or cash. I'm told that both cases wound up being cash deals, which usually is a fairly nominal amount, as the Mariners didn't have much bargaining leverage at that point. The Mariners did receive the Cubs' No. 98 international Draft slot as well for Jackson, which gives them an extra $211,100 to use as bonus money to land international players next year.

The "player to be named" in the recent five-player swap with the Rangers is a different deal. Seattle acquired Leonys Martin and Anthony Bass for Tom Wilhelmsen, James Jones and an unnamed player. In this case the two clubs agreed to an additional player who couldn't be included yet for some sort of roster-related reason. Rangers GM Jon Daniels told reporters that player will be a "significant" part of the trade, so I suspect a prospect of some note will wind up going to Texas to complete the package after all the Rule 5 Draft and contract tender dates are cleared up in early December.
I am really curious who the player could be. Saying "significant" could in reality be a significant player for the Rangers and an insignificant player for the Mariners, that's what I am hoping for at least. It is just hard to believe this player being overly valued by the Mariners.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am really curious who the player could be. Saying "significant" could in reality be a significant player for the Rangers and an insignificant player for the Mariners, that's what I am hoping for at least. It is just hard to believe this player being overly valued by the Mariners.

Ya that part has me a bit bothered. Blash?

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This guy would be a nice pickup for our pen:

Royals designated RHP Michael Mariot for assignment.

The 27-year-old hurler spent the majority of the 2015 season at Triple-A Omaha, compiling a 2.32 ERA, 1.10 WHIP and 72/16 K/BB ratio in 62 innings. It's a true testament to the overall talent and depth in the Royals bullpen that they can't find room for Mariot on the 40-man roster. He shouldn't have any difficulty finding a new job this winter.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any word on whether Mark Lowe will be back? Love that guy when he is healthy.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any word on whether Mark Lowe will be back? Love that guy when he is healthy.

been really quiet on all free agency. love to have him back as well.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SEA.png
Seattle Mariners News
Robinson Cano doesn't mind it in Seattle and actually appreciates how he has been treated by the Mariners, but he would be willing to willing to waive his no-trade clause to return to the Yankees. That should be obvious as we've long known that Cano was willing to sign back with the Yankees for something under the $240-million deal it took to get him to go nearly 3,000 miles west (the Yankees only offered $175 million, however). In any case, multiple sources say there is nothing to the Cano-for-Jacob Ellsbury rumor. Whatever anyone thinks of Cano's 2015 season, it's hard to see Seattle going for that one at this stage ... Seattle is believed to be willing to go to around $24 million or so over two years for Hisashi Iwakuma, who rejected their $15.8-million qualifying offer ... Chris Ianetta did well to get $4.25 million guaranteed after hitting .188 last year with the Angels. New GM Jerry Dipoto is gathering a lot of ex-Angels, and a few seem to be ones that didn't necessarily always see eye-to-eye with Angels manager Mike Scioscia, a combatant of Dipoto's as well. Ianetta would certainly fit into that category, according to Angels connected sources, as would new Mariners manager Scott Servais ... The Mariners have been talking to the Marlins about CF Marcell Ozuna. More on that here.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i don't care about the cano drama.

i'm glad that the rumor about iwakuma is for 2 years instead of 3. that's something at least.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to Jon Heyman of CBS Sports, the Mariners are willing to offer Hisashi Iwakuma "around $24 million" for a two-year deal.

That's a fair offer for a pitcher entering his age-35 season, though Iwakuma might push for a three-year deal. Iwakuma turned down his qualifying offer, so the Mariners will get a compensatory pick if he signs elsewhere.