• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015-2016 Off Season Thread

ehwq

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SB Nation grade:

Mariners trade Carson Smith and Roenis Elias to Red Sox for Wade Miley and Jonathan Aro
Elias and Miley have been equally as effective over the last two seasons. Elias's ERA+ is 93; Miley's is 91. Elias has struck out 7.7 batters per nine innings; Miley has struck out 7.5. The differences between the two are a) innings pitched, with Miley holding a huge advantage, and b) salary and team control, with Elias holding a huge advantage. As such, a straight-up, one-for-one swap would have made sense.

The Mariners, though, also gave up a dominant power reliever in an era where dominant power relievers are treated like they're the secret of baseball. Aro might make up the difference one day, but Smith was the kind of arm that teams desperately covet right now, and he was cashed in for Roenis Elias, Now With More Innings. Strange.

Red Sox grade: A
Mariners grade: C-

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SB Nation grade:

Mariners trade Carson Smith and Roenis Elias to Red Sox for Wade Miley and Jonathan Aro
Elias and Miley have been equally as effective over the last two seasons. Elias's ERA+ is 93; Miley's is 91. Elias has struck out 7.7 batters per nine innings; Miley has struck out 7.5. The differences between the two are a) innings pitched, with Miley holding a huge advantage, and b) salary and team control, with Elias holding a huge advantage. As such, a straight-up, one-for-one swap would have made sense.

The Mariners, though, also gave up a dominant power reliever in an era where dominant power relievers are treated like they're the secret of baseball. Aro might make up the difference one day, but Smith was the kind of arm that teams desperately covet right now, and he was cashed in for Roenis Elias, Now With More Innings. Strange.

I'd give the Sox an A+ and the Mariners a C-

ehwq

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SB Nation grade:

You'd think Carson Smith would have similar trade value as Ken Giles and look what the Phillies got for him.

This trade is Bavasi esque.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You'd think Carson Smith would have similar trade value as Ken Giles and look what the Phillies got for him.

This trade is Bavasi esque.

That was my thought as well. I will never understand the move especially with the prices of relievers these days. Smith's value should have been sky high yet we threw him in.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ben Garza Retweeted
Ty ‏@tyxgonz 2h2 hours ago

Ty Retweeted NPB on reddit

Yahoo! Japan says Mariners have interest in Maeda.

--------------------

Now that would potentially change the off season outlook.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ben Garza Retweeted
Ty ‏@tyxgonz 2h2 hours ago

Ty Retweeted NPB on reddit

Yahoo! Japan says Mariners have interest in Maeda.

--------------------

Now that would potentially change the off season outlook.
Absolutely it would! Rotation depth much better instantly. Obviously there is no telling how well he will do in MLB but he does have experience at a high level of professional baseball, which is a big step. Personally I think he will do just fine in the majors.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely it would! Rotation depth much better instantly. Obviously there is no telling how well he will do in MLB but he does have experience at a high level of professional baseball, which is a big step. Personally I think he will do just fine in the majors.

Did you know?: 1997 was the last season when we didn't have a Japanese born player on our roster? 18 seasons with at least 1 Japanese born player and 16 years with at least 1 Japanese born player in a starting role.

Aoki will make it 19 straight, but hoping they add one more player.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would be a great addition. Unfortunately I'll have to see it to believe it. From what it sounds like Dipoto isn't too confident about Paxton so adding another arm is necessary.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you know?: 1997 was the last season when we didn't have a Japanese born player on our roster? 18 seasons with at least 1 Japanese born player and 16 years with at least 1 Japanese born player in a starting role.

Aoki will make it 19 straight, but hoping they add one more player.

I guess I never even thought about it but that is crazy

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would be a great addition. Unfortunately I'll have to see it to believe it. From what it sounds like Dipoto isn't too confident about Paxton so adding another arm is necessary.
Well I am glad he is not confident in Paxton, he shouldn't be. He cannot be relied on to be healthy

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With all that's been done to date, where do the Mariners stand with their payroll for 2016?

This is a popular question, so here's what I know. They have 13 veterans under contract now for a combined $115 million for 2016, plus a potential of $11 million more in roster incentives for Steve Cishek, Iannetta, Aoki and Franklin Gutierrez. Four arbitration-eligible players -- Leonys Martin, Charlie Furbush, Anthony Bass and Evan Scribner -- are expected to earn a combined $7.2 million, per MLBTradeRumors.com's projections. Another 23 minimum-wage players on the 40-man roster will combine for about $12 million. Or if you just include the 25-man-roster guys, that would be about another $4 million.

Last year's 25-man roster made about $125 million, and the Mariners already are over $126 million in base salary for that group. So while the belief is that the club is willing to bump its payroll up a bit from last year, it doesn't appear to have a lot of room left for major additions. And that goes along with general manager Jerry Dipoto's statement that his roster is pretty close to being set now after a busy early offseason.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With all that's been done to date, where do the Mariners stand with their payroll for 2016?

This is a popular question, so here's what I know. They have 13 veterans under contract now for a combined $115 million for 2016, plus a potential of $11 million more in roster incentives for Steve Cishek, Iannetta, Aoki and Franklin Gutierrez. Four arbitration-eligible players -- Leonys Martin, Charlie Furbush, Anthony Bass and Evan Scribner -- are expected to earn a combined $7.2 million, per MLBTradeRumors.com's projections. Another 23 minimum-wage players on the 40-man roster will combine for about $12 million. Or if you just include the 25-man-roster guys, that would be about another $4 million.

Last year's 25-man roster made about $125 million, and the Mariners already are over $126 million in base salary for that group. So while the belief is that the club is willing to bump its payroll up a bit from last year, it doesn't appear to have a lot of room left for major additions. And that goes along with general manager Jerry Dipoto's statement that his roster is pretty close to being set now after a busy early offseason.

I think the team is pretty much in place right now and I'd be surprised to see many more changes.

Average payroll generally increases across MLB at a rate of around 5% a year (using data from 2006-2015, so that number is low once you take the recession into consideration)

That being said, at the very minimum the Mariners should increase payroll by $6.25m to keep up with the inflation in salaries. Also, since it seems Dipoto is making moves to win now, that warrants even more investment in payroll.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the team is pretty much in place right now and I'd be surprised to see many more changes.

Average payroll generally increases across MLB at a rate of around 5% a year (using data from 2006-2015, so that number is low once you take the recession into consideration)

That being said, at the very minimum the Mariners should increase payroll by $6.25m to keep up with the inflation in salaries. Also, since it seems Dipoto is making moves to win now, that warrants even more investment in payroll.

It seems to me that Dipoto didn't go all in, but isn't in sell mode yet either. Make the team better slightly (not good, but better) and see what this team does the first 2 months of the season, then decide whether to make a run or sell from there. Since it's still the Mariners, still run by Howard Linclon, I personally expect this team to go up in flames, but we'll see.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank God he traded off Tyler Olson... He gave me ulcers last year...We may end up getting some cash for him... :clap:

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something I forgot about, we were only above .500 once all last year and that was after Game 1. SMH!

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something I forgot about, we were only above .500 once all last year and that was after Game 1. SMH!

They scratched and clawed their way to get back to .500 in late May after that disappointing start. Then it all went to shit on that home stand. Paxton hurt his little finger, the grounds crew wasn't prepared for rain in Seattle, Rodney had multiple implosions and Jack Z made his desperate trade. Good times.