• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015-16 NBA Western Conference OFFICIAL THREAD

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Almost time for the Kings to shock the world and make the playoffs! Or blowup completely and start fighting in practice, can't wait.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Form a multi-part article on the Lakers rebuilding on ESPN- this is 2 of 3 I believe....link to one is in the article

NBA: Los Angeles Lakers From The Outside -- embracing a new reality

excerpt:

The difference between how the Lakers view their rebuilding efforts and how others around the league view them is drastic.

ESPN asked two dozen NBA insiders -- ranging from executives and scouts to analytics officials and agents and coaches -- a few open-ended questions about the Lakers, most of which centered on what the team could and should be doing to contend again soon.

Many emphasized that the Lakers, with their advantages in market, revenue and lineage, are one of a select few teams that could acquire a top-flight star as fast as anyone.

"They're one big deal from being in good position again," one executive said. "That's what it takes. And that's what they've been able to do in their history and I wouldn't count them out from being able to pull it off again."

But many were just as quick to point out several much bigger issues limiting the organization from the fast turnaround it feels increasing internal and external pressure to pull off.

Such problems include management, ownership and coaching, which are addressed in this story, as well as a lack of assets, a shift in the free-agency landscape and the presence of Bryant, all of which are addressed in the three other stories in this series.

"When you mean 'turn it around,' do you mean a championship? Because that's done. That's not happening unless they make a miraculous trade and get four new people. Who do they have on the Lakers? I'm not sure. I'm not joking. Do they even have anyone to trade that somebody would want?"

Shaquille O'Neal
Many insiders outlined paths that, at best, would take a few more years, if not considerably longer. Indeed, the portrait many painted was one of the Lakers lying to themselves about their current predicament.

"The Lakers are still the Lakers no matter what," one executive said, "but the Knicks have been saying that forever, too."

Said one agent: "Championship organizations start from the very top. I think the Lakers are hopeless, to be honest. I think they're the West Coast Knicks."

Even former Lakers star Shaquille O'Neal, who won three titles with the team, is skeptical.

"They need to do the same thing Sacramento did -- get new players," said O'Neal, now a minority Kings owner.

Pressed to be more specific on the Lakers, O'Neal said, "When you mean 'turn it around,' do you mean a championship? Because that's done. That's not happening unless they make a miraculous trade and get four new people. Who do they have on the Lakers? I'm not sure. I'm not joking. Do they even have anyone to trade that somebody would want?"

After 116 losses the past two seasons, including a franchise-worst 61 in 2014-15, there was no shortage of skepticism about the future in L.A.

"I think the Lakers tricked themselves into thinking that what they did before was smart and they gave themselves credit for it and, to be honest, it's probably not fair to give themselves credit for a lot of that success," one agent said. "That's probably the No. 1 thing working against them right now -- they feel like they created the success once so whatever they're doing, they'll just do it again."

Said another agent, "They're in major trouble -- and the Lakers name isn't going to save them."

Another Baxter Holmes hit piece full of quotes from anonymous NBA sources. It's the end of the world for the Lakers. I can't wait for parts 3 and 4!

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Almost time for the Kings to shock the world and make the playoffs! Or blowup completely and start fighting in practice, can't wait.

They are going to be a very interesting team to follow… I think there's about a 75 percent chance they implode & a 25 percent chance of them working and making their crazy plan look genius.

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are going to be a very interesting team to follow… I think there's about a 75 percent chance they implode & a 25 percent chance of them working and making their crazy plan look genius.
I'm thinking more 60/40 in favor of the implosion, but there might be some bias. They have the depth, talent, and coaching to make the playoffs, it'll come down to if they can get along and if Rondo can play like Boston Rondo and not Dallas Rondo.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm thinking more 60/40 in favor of the implosion, but there might be some bias. They have the depth, talent, and coaching to make the playoffs, it'll come down to if they can get along and if Rondo can play like Boston Rondo and not Dallas Rondo.

Let's meet halfway and say 65/35 in favor of implosion. lol

I really do like the pickups of Bellinelli & Koufos to help with depth, and Rondo is a HUGE question mark. If he works out they hit a home run, if not it could ruin the season. Rudy Gay also needs to take a slightly smaller role imo, the team would be better if he wasn't doing his little iso BS every other play.

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's meet halfway and say 65/35 in favor of implosion. lol

I really do like the pickups of Bellinelli & Koufos to help with depth, and Rondo is a HUGE question mark. If he works out they hit a home run, if not it could ruin the season. Rudy Gay also needs to take a slightly smaller role imo, the team would be better if he wasn't doing his little iso BS every other play.
65/35 sounds good. Those 2 should really help our shooting and defense which were problems last year. I'm happy the Rondo move was just 1 year, gotta wait and see if he can turn his career around before a long term sign. I think he'll be better than what we saw in Dallas, but that's not saying much. Rudy's been really good since the Kings traded for him, I'd say he's a top 5 SF. He sometimes goes into hero ball, but he's one of the guys on this team I'm not worried about.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If any of you have league pass, they been showing preseason games nightly

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well he's already arguing with the coach after 5 preseason games.

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't seem like he was joking if this is in response to saying that he and Karl have been arguing.

Maybe Rondo just has horrible jokes?
He's probably done it before in his career, putting crap out there for the media to scoop up and start all the "Rondo is cancer" talk again or something about Karl not being able to handle his team. I could be wrong, but I don't see any reason he'd actually say that if there was a problem.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Prob a preseason over-reaction, but the Warriors have looked terrible on defense. I'm really hoping Steve Kerr gets back soon to right the ship.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Prob a preseason over-reaction, but the Warriors have looked terrible on defense. I'm really hoping Steve Kerr gets back soon to right the ship.

And the Warriors fall from grace has begun

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess the fighting/arguing hasn't started....yet.

ManuForever

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
GO SPURS GO! Haven't gotten a win in the preseason yet but that doesn't matter as we all know. Seems like LaMarcus is going to fit right in. Can't wait for the season to begin.