• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015-16 NBA Western Conference OFFICIAL THREAD

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had no idea Zaza Pachulia was only 31. Seems like he's been around forever. I at first scoffed when I heard the Mavs traded for him to be their starting center. But after looking at his entire body of work, he's a nice consolation prize after missing out on D'Andre Jordan.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope just you. They'll be around 43+ wins. Still got a solid offensive team

I doubt they win 40 games. Matthews and Parsons both coming back from injuries, their team has zero athleticism, Dirk and D-Will are old, and Zaza is starting for them. Zero depth. They will struggle, I'll bookmark this thread.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Arizona_Sting I think your Suns are the biggest sleeper in the entire league right now. They've always had the talent, but for the first time in ages they also have the depth. It's part of the reason why I have them as my third team for the time being.

IF Markieff Morris buys in and plays to his potential this team will be very good. They are 2 deep at every position and have added some veteran leadership. I like the makeup of this team more than any other we've had the past three to four years… chemistry will be the biggest obstacle, and so far in training camp it looks great. So we'll see.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IF Markieff Morris buys in and plays to his potential this team will be very good. They are 2 deep at every position and have added some veteran leadership. I like the makeup of this team more than any other we've had the past three to four years… chemistry will be the biggest obstacle, and so far in training camp it looks great. So we'll see.
How many guys do the Suns have who are actual impact players? A guy that might get consideration for either an all star spot or at least top 10 in the league at their position? They might not have one guy like that outside of MAYBE Bledsoe....I dont see the Suns having a winning record in the West.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many guys do the Suns have who are actual impact players? A guy that might get consideration for either an all star spot or at least top 10 in the league at their position? They might not have one guy like that outside of MAYBE Bledsoe....I dont see the Suns having a winning record in the West.

they'll easily have a winning record. Knight is a top 10 SG and was an AS last year as well. Chandler is probably a top 10 center also

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bledsoe is easily a top 10 PG… top 25 player overall as well, closer to 25-ish, but he's still young and improving. He may be one of the best two way players in the league, his defense is underrated…. he locks people up. He can rebound, block shots, drop dimes, get steals and slash really well.

Markieff Morris (as much as I hate him) is a top 10 PF. Knight is a top 10 SG, Chandler/Len being on the court at all times is very solid from that position then add in solid role players like Tucker, Warren, Booker, Teletovic, Weems, Goodwin, etc. and they're pretty loaded with depth. I just worry about chemistry.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bledsoe is easily a top 10 PG… top 25 player overall as well, closer to 25-ish, but he's still young and improving. He may be one of the best two way players in the league, his defense is underrated…. he locks people up. He can rebound, block shots, drop dimes, get steals and slash really well.

Markieff Morris (as much as I hate him) is a top 10 PF. Knight is a top 10 SG, Chandler/Len being on the court at all times is very solid from that position then add in solid role players like Tucker, Warren, Booker, Teletovic, Weems, Goodwin, etc. and they're pretty loaded with depth. I just worry about chemistry.

No way is Morris a top 10 PF. I have all of these guys ahead of him

Ibaka, Bosh, Duncan, Z-Bo, Gasol, Dirk, Love, Blake, Milsap, Draymond, Aldridge, & obviously the Brow.

That is 12 PF who I think are clearly ahead of him

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way is Morris a top 10 PF. I have all of these guys ahead of him

Ibaka, Bosh, Duncan, Z-Bo, Gasol, Dirk, Love, Blake, Milsap, Draymond, Aldridge, & obviously the Brow.

That is 12 PF who I think are clearly ahead of him

Damn, never realized how deep PF is. I agree with everyone on your list minus Dirk, he just isn't the same.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
deepest position in the league except maybe pg

Yeah, PG is by far the deepest then PF after that. Once Duncan, Z-Bo, Gasol and Dirk all retire Keef might crack the top 10.
deepest position in the league except maybe pg

I think whenever I've got some free time I'm gonna post a thread and make a top 20 ranking for each position.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Knight top 10 SG?

I dunno....def not in order just from the top of my head pretty much

1. James Harden
2. Klay Thompson
3. J. Butler (or is he a SF? ESPN lists him at SG- and Dunleavy IS their starting SF so i guess he should be a SG though I could see SF as well)
4. Joe Johnson
5. DeMar DeRozan
6. Montae Ellis
7. Khris Middleton
8. Kyle Korver
9. Bradley Beale
10 Victor Oladipo
11. JJ Redick
12. Wes Mathews
13. Danny Green

Not saying all those guys are better than Knight....

and center wise? is Chandler around top 10?

1. MGasol
2. D. Howard
3. B. Lopez
4. J Valuncinas
5. Mozgov
6. Noah
7. Drummond
8. Horford
9. Whiteside
10. Kanter
11. Jeferson
12. Vucevic
13. Deandre Jordan
14. Cousins
15. Duncan
16. Gobert....

i dunno if Chandler is a top 10 center...kinda doubtful.....
MGasol, DCousins, DJordan, TDuncan, DHoward, AHorford, ADrummond, JNoah, RGobert, BLopez....

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Knight top 10 SG?

I dunno....def not in order just from the top of my head pretty much

1. James Harden
2. Klay Thompson
3. J. Butler (or is he a SF? ESPN lists him at SG- and Dunleavy IS their starting SF so i guess he should be a SG though I could see SF as well)
4. Joe Johnson
5. DeMar DeRozan
6. Montae Ellis
7. Khris Middleton
8. Kyle Korver
9. Bradley Beale
10 Victor Oladipo
11. JJ Redick
12. Wes Mathews
13. Danny Green

Not saying all those guys are better than Knight....

and center wise? is Chandler around top 10?

1. MGasol
2. D. Howard
3. B. Lopez
4. J Valuncinas
5. Mozgov
6. Noah
7. Drummond
8. Horford
9. Whiteside
10. Kanter
11. Jeferson
12. Vucevic
13. Deandre Jordan
14. Cousins
15. Duncan
16. Gobert....

i dunno if Chandler is a top 10 center...kinda doubtful.....
MGasol, DCousins, DJordan, TDuncan, DHoward, AHorford, ADrummond, JNoah, RGobert, BLopez....

Joe Johnson, Kyle Korver, JJ Redick & Danny Green? Cmon man, those guys are all just solid role players and nothing more. Knight is still only 23 and improving each year, he was an all-star last year for a reason. I think you're greatly undervaluing him.

First off, in my post I never said Chandler was top 10, I said him and Len are a great combo.

Second, Mozgov & Kanter are not better than Chandler… if we're talking for next year at least. My point was Len/Chandler being on the court all 48 mins is a great combo and better than what most teams will have as a DUO. Because that's how you have to look at it if we're talking TEAM. Individually Chandler probably isn't top 10, but he's still a great rebounder and defender which is what we lacked last year. His leadership has already shown throughout training camp and helped improved our chemistry which is also extremely important.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joe Johnson, Kyle Korver, JJ Redick & Danny Green? Cmon man, those guys are all just solid role players and nothing more. Knight is still only 23 and improving each year, he was an all-star last year for a reason. I think you're greatly undervaluing him.

First off, in my post I never said Chandler was top 10, I said him and Len are a great combo.

Second, Mozgov & Kanter are not better than Chandler… if we're talking for next year at least. My point was Len/Chandler being on the court all 48 mins is a great combo and better than what most teams will have as a DUO. Because that's how you have to look at it if we're talking TEAM. Individually Chandler probably isn't top 10, but he's still a great rebounder and defender which is what we lacked last year. His leadership has already shown throughout training camp and helped improved our chemistry which is also extremely important.
I dunno man.

Mozgov was pretty darn good last year and he is in his prime. Chandler is getting a little long in the tooth as they say. I really do like the Chandler signing for the Suns though. The West is just so freaking loaded though. I really like Len too to be honest...and last year was definitely partially derailed by Dragic whining his way out.....but i dunno....Even discounting the top 6 teams in the West who are all playoff locks- (SAS, OKC, GSW, HOU, LAC, MEM)-

that next group of teams---- New Orleans, Minnesota, Utah, Phoenix, Dallas--- are 5 teams that will be competing for one of those last 2 playoff spots--- heck- who knows if SAC will be one of those teams as well....out of those 5 teams where would i rank the Suns? ehh...doubtfully in the top 2...

but it should be an interesting season. The Suns over-acheived 2 seasons ago and then had a correction last year...its a very hard team to predict. It seems that the Dragic stuff really effected them last year- and with how Morris keeps whining it mightve been a good idea to get rid of him before dragging it into the regular season.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Warriors nation!
that title reminds me of a utility player running into a Clayton Kershaw 96MPH cut fastball and blasting it for a home run....sometimes you close your eyes, grip the bat, swing as hard as you can and you run into one...

cherish your title and the health your team had......This year is about the big boys in the NBA- Cavs, Spurs, OKC, CLips... etc ;)

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Form a multi-part article on the Lakers rebuilding on ESPN- this is 2 of 3 I believe....link to one is in the article

NBA: Los Angeles Lakers From The Outside -- embracing a new reality

excerpt:

The difference between how the Lakers view their rebuilding efforts and how others around the league view them is drastic.

ESPN asked two dozen NBA insiders -- ranging from executives and scouts to analytics officials and agents and coaches -- a few open-ended questions about the Lakers, most of which centered on what the team could and should be doing to contend again soon.

Many emphasized that the Lakers, with their advantages in market, revenue and lineage, are one of a select few teams that could acquire a top-flight star as fast as anyone.

"They're one big deal from being in good position again," one executive said. "That's what it takes. And that's what they've been able to do in their history and I wouldn't count them out from being able to pull it off again."

But many were just as quick to point out several much bigger issues limiting the organization from the fast turnaround it feels increasing internal and external pressure to pull off.

Such problems include management, ownership and coaching, which are addressed in this story, as well as a lack of assets, a shift in the free-agency landscape and the presence of Bryant, all of which are addressed in the three other stories in this series.

"When you mean 'turn it around,' do you mean a championship? Because that's done. That's not happening unless they make a miraculous trade and get four new people. Who do they have on the Lakers? I'm not sure. I'm not joking. Do they even have anyone to trade that somebody would want?"

Shaquille O'Neal
Many insiders outlined paths that, at best, would take a few more years, if not considerably longer. Indeed, the portrait many painted was one of the Lakers lying to themselves about their current predicament.

"The Lakers are still the Lakers no matter what," one executive said, "but the Knicks have been saying that forever, too."

Said one agent: "Championship organizations start from the very top. I think the Lakers are hopeless, to be honest. I think they're the West Coast Knicks."

Even former Lakers star Shaquille O'Neal, who won three titles with the team, is skeptical.

"They need to do the same thing Sacramento did -- get new players," said O'Neal, now a minority Kings owner.

Pressed to be more specific on the Lakers, O'Neal said, "When you mean 'turn it around,' do you mean a championship? Because that's done. That's not happening unless they make a miraculous trade and get four new people. Who do they have on the Lakers? I'm not sure. I'm not joking. Do they even have anyone to trade that somebody would want?"

After 116 losses the past two seasons, including a franchise-worst 61 in 2014-15, there was no shortage of skepticism about the future in L.A.

"I think the Lakers tricked themselves into thinking that what they did before was smart and they gave themselves credit for it and, to be honest, it's probably not fair to give themselves credit for a lot of that success," one agent said. "That's probably the No. 1 thing working against them right now -- they feel like they created the success once so whatever they're doing, they'll just do it again."

Said another agent, "They're in major trouble -- and the Lakers name isn't going to save them."

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Klay Thompson sticking it to the Doc and the Clippers...

In a recent interview, Rivers told Grantland's Zach Lowe: "You need luck in the West. Look at Golden State. They didn't have to play us or the Spurs."

When asked Friday about Rivers' comments, Thompson said, "That sounds pretty bitter to me."

Then he noted Golden State's 3-1 series record against Los Angeles last season, saying, "If we got lucky, look at our record against them last year. I'm pretty sure we smacked them."

"Didn't they lose to the Rockets?" Thompson asked. "So that just makes me laugh. That's funny. Weren't they up 3-1, too? Tell them I said that, too."

Thompson's final word on the topic was, "I wanted to play the Clippers last year, but they couldn't handle their business."

Klay Thompson of Golden State Warriors says Los Angeles Clippers 'couldn't handle their business' last year

but they couldn't handle their business :pound:

I love Doc, but I think it was meant to be more of a shot at the Rockets than it was the Warriors. Because I think he knows they let Houston off the hook.