• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Season Preview thread

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Time for me to get this started again

Last year's prediction thread was fun, I had some good picks and some where I was way off(Hello Missouri going 2-10 :doh: )

This year I'm changing it up a little bit, I'm going to team by team, by conference.

Both teams and conferences will be done in alphabetical order so I'll be starting with Boston College from the Acc.

Once I'm done with all the team predictions, I'll do conference championship predictions, conference rankings and bowl/playoff predictions.

Who knows if I'll be right or not, but this will be a fun thread to entertain us during the offseason!

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I said first Conference we're starting off with is the ACC

First team will be

Boston_College.gif

The Boston College Eagles

Preview: Last year Boston College finally returned to a bowl game, lifted by Heisman Candidate Andre Williams. They didn't end the season strong though, and will now have to replace Andre Williams. Boston College does get Tyler Murphy as a transfer from Florida. He made some plays for the Florida Gators last year despite not having a lot around him(including linemen who block each other) with Andre Williams gone it likely will be more of the same here.

Predictions: Boston College opens with a "road" game against UMass. UMass plays in the Patriots stadium in Foxboro so its actually closer to Boston College and Boston College will definitely have more fans there. Boston College will likely roll through that game as UMass still is struggling to find its footing in FBS. Games at home against Pitt and USC will be tougher and will result in losses for Boston College. Boston College recovers with a win over Maine. Boston College gets surprised by a strong Colorado State team and loses the next two after the bye week. Boston College wins at Wake Forest, but that turns out to be their last win of 2014 as they lose the final 4 games.

Predicted Record: 3-9(1-7)

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now the next 3 will be fun

paw_orange.png

Clemson Tigers

Preview: Clemson had a great year last year with the exception of two games, the blowout loss to national champion Florida State and yet another loss to rival South Carolina. They did have highlights though beating Georgia(before they got hit with injuries) in the opener and winning the Orange Bowl against Ohio State. It's going to be a challenging year for Clemson though this year, They lose Tajh Boyd, Roderick McDowell, and their top two receivers in Martavis Bryant and top 5 draft pick Sammy Watkins. They also lost some good offensive linemen. On the defensive end linebacker is a struggle spot, they return starters in the secondary, but the major strength is the defensive line which is loaded with talent.

Predictions: For a team that lost several starters at the skill positions on offense the schedule is a brutal start, 3 potential top 15 teams with a game against South Carolina State as the only easy one. They open against Georgia once again, this time on the road and Georgia will be stronger this year after the crazy amount of injuries they had last year, Clemson loses that one, beats South Carolina State, and then drops the next two against Florida State and a strong North Carolina team. The 1-3 start is rough, but the schedule gets easier and Clemson wins the next 7 games to rebuild their season. Unfortunately for Clemson they still fail to beat rival South Carolina and have to listen to Spurrier jokes for another offseason.

Predicted Record: 8-4(6-2)

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have a solid chance. Just going to have to replace all those big time plays.

We've got a solid QB in Cole Stoudt. He'll be fine. Roderick McDowell was a decent RB, but he's not a huge loss. We have a couple guys that can be studs if they learn the system and brush up on their pass blocking.
We will obviously be taking a hit at the WR spot. We've been blessed for years with some great ones. This season we will have some good WR's just not the same caliber as Hopkins and Watkins.
The Oline has been a struggle every year since Tammy Bowden took over this program way back when. Nothing new there. The difference this year is the D. We should be well above average. The weakness being at the corners. There are very capable guys there, just not a lot of experience. I like our odds at repeating the same type of season we've had the last couple of years.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blue-Devils.jpg

Duke Blue Devils

Preview: Last year was perhaps the best year in the history of Duke football, won 10 games, got the right to get blown out by Florida State in the ACC championship(which isn't bad it happened to everyone) and lost a wild Chick-Fil-A bowl to Johnny Manziel and Texas A&M. This year they return a lot of players from that team, at quarterback Anthony Boone will be the sole starter this year as running option Brandon Connette transferred. The defense is a tough spot though, with their top two corners gone and the defensive line loses 3 starters.

Predictions: By the old Duke standard this will still be a great season for Duke football. Duke opens the season 4-0 by winning their non-conference games. Though the toughest of those is Tulane(yes Kansas is there but they're Kansas). Duke manages to win on the road against Miami of Florida, as Miami's questionable QBs will prevent them from outscoring Duke in an offensive game. Duke has a bye week to prepare for Georgia Tech's offense but Duke might not have the players on the defensive line to generate any push, so this will result in Duke's first loss of the year. Duke beats Virginia, then loses on the road to Pitt. Duke loses to Syracuse but pulls off a good win over Virginia Tech, who still for at least another year won't be an ACC title contender. Duke has a short week to prepare for a rising North Carolina, it will be another offensive game that North Carolina wins. Duke ends the season with a win over Wake Forest.

Predicted Record: 8-4(4-4)

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We've got a solid QB in Cole Stoudt. He'll be fine. Roderick McDowell was a decent RB, but he's not a huge loss. We have a couple guys that can be studs if they learn the system and brush up on their pass blocking.
We will obviously be taking a hit at the WR spot. We've been blessed for years with some great ones. This season we will have some good WR's just not the same caliber as Hopkins and Watkins.
The Oline has been a struggle every year since Tammy Bowden took over this program way back when. Nothing new there. The difference this year is the D. We should be well above average. The weakness being at the corners. There are very capable guys there, just not a lot of experience. I like our odds at repeating the same type of season we've had the last couple of years.

It will be Venables 3rd year.
You will start feeling the effects.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will be Venables 3rd year.
You will start feeling the effects.

Honestly, so far, I like the guy. Our D has improved a little each year. I was frustrasted with the USC game when he didn't adjust to the obvious. We would have the cocks in third and long and Spurrier would spread the field and then run Shaw for the 1st down. It must have happened 10 flippin times, but other than that, I'm not complaining too much yet.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, so far, I like the guy. Our D has improved a little each year. I was frustrasted with the USC game when he didn't adjust to the obvious. We would have the cocks in third and long and Spurrier would spread the field and then run Shaw for the 1st down. It must have happened 10 flippin times, but other than that, I'm not complaining too much yet.

He comes on slow.
A couple of breakdowns here and there at first.
Then after a few more years, it gets a little worse every year.

It's like death by a thousand cuts.
Wait for it.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
jameis-winston-crab-legs-meme-3.jpeg

Florida State Seminoles

Preview: Lets get our laughs in while we can because Florida State will be amazing once again this year. After several season of having talented teams that didn't really live up to the hype, Florida State led by Jameis Winston rolled through just about everyone on their road to the national championship. Now this year they lose several players to the NFL, they still have a ton of talent though which includes Jameis Winston of course(provided he avoids any more crab leg incidents.) Florida State will be a lot more vulnerable than they were last year though.

Predictions: While Florida State is more vulnerable, is anyone on their schedule good enough to take advantage? Oklahoma State is an intriguing opener, but they lost quite a few players and likely won't be as good as last year. The Citadel doesn't even belong on the same field as Florida State. Noles get Clemson at home, Clemson is the best conference opponent Florida State plays though. There are some road games that could trip up Florida State if they were to show up unprepared for which are games at NC State, which is always the one that gets Florida State. There's also a road game at Syracuse in the Carrier Dome which is a tough place to play especially for the best team in their conference, Syracuse also returns a lot of starters this year. Louisville could be another challenge, but usually Bobby Petrino teams aren't great in his first year. Notre Dame is the toughest opponent on Louisville's schedule but the Noles get them at home. Miami of Florida and the Florida Gators are rivals but chances are Florida State rolls past them. I see an unbeaten season for the Noles, but we could any flaws they still have left exposed in the playoff.

Predicted Record: 12-0(8-0)

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice picture OP... nice picture :lol:

Thanks sir, figured it would get a good laugh from people.

It's tough to resist the crablegs jokes when it comes to Jameis Winston right now.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Next up

GeorgiaTechYellowJackets.png

Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets

Preview: Georgia Tech suffered through another mediocre season last season finishing with a 7-6 record, 4th in the division. Quarterback Vad Lee transferred but he wasn't a great fit in the triple option offense. Georgia Tech's new starter will be a better fit. The offense and defense took some losses, but there's seems to be some optimism. Paul Johnson is on a warm seat but his buyout is pretty big.

Predictions: Expect more of the same for Georgia Tech. They should open 3-0 but the game on the road against Tulane is a tricky one that could trip them up, Tulane is improving. Georgia Tech loses the next two against Virginia Tech and Miami Florida who have had Georgia Tech's number for a while now. Georgia Tech beats Duke, but then loses the next two games to North Carolina and Pitt. Georgia Tech beats Virginia and NC State who was a mess against the run last year. Georgia Tech loses the final two games to Clemson and Georgia.

6-6(3-5)

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Louisville_Cardinals.svg

Louisville Cardinals

Preview: Last season Louisville with Teddy Bridgewater lost only one game, a loss to Central Florida at home, unfortunately their schedule was so easy that loss kept them from a BCS bowl, they still did blow out Miami of Florida in their bowl game. Lots of changes for Louisville, Bridgewater is gone, some of the stars from their defense is gone, along with their coach Charlie Strong, and on top of it all are joining a new conference which is of course the ACC. Tougher competition and these changes mean Louisville won't have a great season.

Predictions: With Bobby Petrino as the head coach and loss of some great players on defense expect Louisville to have to outscore some opponents. The opener at home against Miami Florida is interesting, but I'm not confident Miami will find a good quarterback so I'll have Louisville taking that one, Louisville wins the next 4 pretty easily to start 5-0. They suffer their first loss on the road to Syracuse, and then lose to Clemson on the road as well. Louisville wins at home over NC State, but loses at home to Florida State. They go on the road to beat Boston College and then lose the next road game to Notre Dame, Louisville beats rival Kentucky in the finale.

Predicted Record: 8-4(5-3)