• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Rumor Thread

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4m Exec involved in Price conversations said this: "It all comes down to which teams decides to be aggressive--Dodgers, Cardinals or Mariners."

Wasn't one of your complaints about Z that he's not aggressive?

:(

I'm in huge favor of trying to acquire Price. hope z defies expectations.

Last edited by a moderator:

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is what other GM's say about him per reports. Not aggressive and almost impossible to get to close a deal. Yaaaaaaa!

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a huge byrd fan, but thats a pretty inexpensive price.

Byrd is okay. I was probbably the first person in here to bring up as a potential acquisition. But there are things to be concerned about with Byrd also.

He changed his swing. He was a contact hitter mostly. Now he sells out for power. His flyball rates have gone up and contract rates have declined. Classic case of a guy selling out for power to mask contact skills decline.

Look at his K rates, year by year. It keeps going up. He has more of a load in his swing to maximize power, but it leads to less consistent contact.

Also, Gabby Guerrero, acccording MLBTR, is one of the guys most asked about when Jack Z if fielding trade negotiations. So, I wouldn't call Guerrero 'inexpensive'. He may not a highly rated prospect and he may never be a great MLB player, but he is obviously a good trade chip.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Byrd is okay. I was probbably the first person in here to bring up as a potential acquisition. But there are things to be concerned about with Byrd also.

He changed his swing. He was a contact hitter mostly. Now he sells out for power. His flyball rates have gone up and contract rates have declined. Classic case of a guy selling out for power to mask contact skills decline.

Look at his K rates, year by year. It keeps going up. He has more of a load in his swing to maximize power, but it leads to less consistent contact.

Also, Gabby Guerrero, acccording MLBTR, is one of the guys most asked about when Jack Z if fielding trade negotiations. So, I wouldn't call Guerrero 'inexpensive'. He may not a highly rated prospect and he may never be a great MLB player, but he is obviously a good trade chip.

Inexpensive in terms that he's not Walker, Paxton or Peterson............. Gotta give up something to get something.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A's Top Target: Nick Franklin

According to Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle, the A's have made Nick Franklin a "top target."
Franklin has spent a large majority of the 2014 season at Triple-A Tacoma with Robinson Cano manning second base and Brad Miller at shortstop for Seattle. The talented 23-year-old could step in as the starting second baseman in Oakland, but Slusser notes that the in-contention M's might not want to strengthen a division rival. Frankln is hitting .300/.394/

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A's Top Target: Nick Franklin

According to Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle, the A's have made Nick Franklin a "top target."
Franklin has spent a large majority of the 2014 season at Triple-A Tacoma with Robinson Cano manning second base and Brad Miller at shortstop for Seattle. The talented 23-year-old could step in as the starting second baseman in Oakland, but Slusser notes that the in-contention M's might not want to strengthen a division rival. Frankln is hitting .300/.394/

Interesting.....i dont mind helping oakland if they can help us in return. I dont trust Z to do that though...

side note, remember a few years back reading an article comparing the "two hot shot second basemen in the west about to take the league over" Ackley for us and Jamelle Weeks for them....... oops.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Franklin going to the A's and becoming a decent major leaguer is something that would not shock me at all. Billy Beane makes his living on trading for buy low guys that coaching staff is able to turn into good major league players. Im not 100% sure but I think I saw a stat that only 2 or 3 guys on their 25 man roster were actually draft by the club.

Getting guys like Donaldson, Milone, Norris, Jaso for essentially nothing.

If we can somehow get maybe Tommy Milone since he isn't needed for them or a starter I would take it. But the chances of Z getting the better of Beane is almost nothing

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was my thought. Get one of their 8 legit starting pitchers (obviously not from their current starting group) and it might be worth it. If he becomes another A's success story, then so be it. It might cost us Zobrist though unless they want someone else for Z.

Like I keep posting, other GM's say Jack is nearly impossible to get to close a deal. This will be the real test because we have needs, are in a position to make playoffs, and from the sounds of it we have players other teams want. No excuses Jack, make it happen and make it the right moves this time.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im not 100% sure but I think I saw a stat that only 2 or 3 guys on their 25 man roster were actually draft by the club.

Getting guys like Donaldson, Milone, Norris, Jaso for essentially nothing.

That is what I have been saying for years when people point to A's as an example of winning through prospects. They don't keep their prospects. They deal them for real players or players closer to the majors and it works for them. For all the people that said they overpaid on the Cubs deal I say B.S. Beane will turn Shark into more studs and never miss a beat. I love how he runs his team.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we can somehow get maybe Tommy Milone since he isn't needed for them or a starter I would take it. But the chances of Z getting the better of Beane is almost nothing

This Per Rosenthal:

The odd man out in the Oakland Athletics’ rotation wants to be gone for good.
Left-hander Tommy Milone has asked the club to trade him, major-league sources tell FOX Sports.
The A’s sent Milone to Triple A on July 5 after acquiring right-handers Jeff Samardzija and Jason Hammel from the Chicago Cubs.
It is not unusual for players to request trades after getting demoted. Milone, though, is more established than most – in 468 2/3 major-league innings, he has a 3.84 ERA.
His demotion was his third in 12 months – and occurred after he had gone 6-0 with a 2.62 ERA in his previous 11 starts.
The Athletics have received trade inquiries on Milone, but the team is not eager to move him, knowing he might be needed due to injury or ineffectiveness, sources say.
Milone, 27, becomes eligible for arbitration this offseason and is under club control for three more years.
He is 6-3 with a 3.55 ERA in 16 starts for the A’s this season. His career ERA, when adjusted to his park and league, is league-average.
The Athletics acquired Milone, catcher Derek Norris and right-handers Brad Peacock and A.J. Cole from the Nationals for left-hander Gio Gonzalez and a minor leaguer on Dec. 23, 2011.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow I promise I didn't see that before I posted about milone. Just remembered he was pitching well before the Cubs trade and they had no room for him. With Parker and Griffin back next year I don't see where he fits unless he is rotting in AAA until 2016

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow I promise I didn't see that before I posted about milone. Just remembered he was pitching well before the Cubs trade and they had no room for him. With Parker and Griffin back next year I don't see where he fits unless he is rotting in AAA until 2016

I believe you. It was a good call on your part and I would do that trade.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'm sick of rumors

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love rumors. That is the only thing we have to read about because M's don't trade and in the rare times they do it is not a good thing to read about.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I should clarify. I'm sick of them regarding the M's.

As a baseball fan, it's fun seeing good GM's play chess with each other as they try to address their most pressing needs. In both leagues.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rays’ recent surge in the standings has them holding off on selling pieces, Mariners sources told Gammons. Seattle thought they were closing in on a deal for Ben Zobrist, but they’ve since been told that the Rays plan to wait until the final 48 hours prior to the deadline before determining a course of action.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whens the deadline

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guess the M's are looking at 27 year old Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo.

He was recently cleared for legal entry into the US, and is holding a workout/audition for scouts on July 26...expected to get signed pretty much immediately afterward.

Cuban outfield prospect Rusney Castillo gearing up to audition for MLB teams | MLB.com: News

Here's an article that gives his background and talks about his numbers in Cuba:
Defection Of Top Cuban Outfielder Rusney Castillo Could Shake Up Free Agent Market - BaseballAmerica.com

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya and per reports M's are the favorite to land him....just like the last one....and the one before that...and that guy over there....and.... I will get excited IF he signs. Little guy with plus, plus speed. I'll take him because I am a big believer you never have enough talent or potential talent.