• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2013 Prospect Discussion Thread

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like how I was not the first one to make some sort of assessment on Chung yet this thread starts off with my post. I was not the inflammatory one this time. Neat double standard you got going here

Anyway judging by the highlights I don't think blocking is Chungs strong point. He's got a long way to go with size and strength

Oh sweet Jesus....hold on :L

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Well I think he moves fairly well for 260 but he doesn't block well for 260. Things can change I guess though

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Just a few quick thoughts ....

1. Video highlights are just that....highlights. They're put together to show a recruit's best plays over the course of a year or more.

2. What's helpful to know is the high school classifications for Florida: Florida High School Football State Series Assignments .

3. In Kyle Chung's case, he plays in Florida Class 5A, Region 1, made up of schools with a student population roughly in the range of 1100-1600. The top classification in Florida is Class 8A with student populations of 2300-4300. There's just not enough information in the video to know whether or not Ponte Vedra played any of the teams at the higher classifications so we could get an idea how he would perform against tougher opponents.

4. Kyle looks good against 5A competition, but the question the Tech staff has to ask themselves is how well will he perform against FBS level competition and at what position? The staff evidently felt good enough about Kyle's potential to make him an offer and that's good enough for me.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
260 as a Jr (rising senior) in HS. He will likely be 270-275 by the time he graduates. at 6'3"-6'4" it will be interesting if he has the frame to get to ~300 and be quick enough for OT or if they work to slim him down to stay at 270 as a big TE and keep some speed. Could be like a Boone style TE.

My opinion is they will get him to ~300 and he will be an OT. Keep in mind these guys have a year of HS left and that will make a big difference in their abilities as they attend camps, etc. Likely 3 years until a lot of these guys see the field at VT so its easy to say he can't block or play at the FBS level and thats because right now he can't, but 3 years is a long time to get there

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
260 as a Jr (rising senior) in HS. He will likely be 270-275 by the time he graduates. at 6'3"-6'4" it will be interesting if he has the frame to get to ~300 and be quick enough for OT or if they work to slim him down to stay at 270 as a big TE and keep some speed. Could be like a Boone style TE.

My opinion is they will get him to ~300 and he will be an OT. Keep in mind these guys have a year of HS left and that will make a big difference in their abilities as they attend camps, etc. Likely 3 years until a lot of these guys see the field at VT so its easy to say he can't block or play at the FBS level and thats because right now he can't, but 3 years is a long time to get there

I've not taken the time to look at his highlights yet, but at 6'3" he would probably project as more of a guard than a tackle. Unless he has unnaturally long arms of course.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

His dad arrived at Tech at 245 and look how he ended up...one of the best OLs to play for Tech.

robV703

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone else like Carlis Parker better than Bucky?

Rocky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Bucky beats out Carlis, he will have to be special. Carlis presents a real running threat, and can throw 50 yarders, although not on a line. Perhaps this year he will break out, both running and throwing.

It should be one hell of a QB battle. Either way, Carlis needs to be on the field somewhere.

IMO, he is that good.

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Parker short arms it which is exactly the opposite of Vicks long windup but he still has plenty of arm strength. I hope Parker won't be able to read defenses or have accuracy problems or something just so he'll move to another position and we'll have both on the field

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think they're both great but I'll take Bucky with Carlis as a WR .. mainly because I don't think it's good for our offense to shift back and forth their game plan. I think a big QB like LT suits the rest of our offensive players better. Tyrod was great but he was constantly running for his life for the first few years. Once LT settled in after the first few games, he was VERY impressive as a first year starter because the offense is NOW built around his strengths. I think the offensive coaches have a hard enough time getting really good at one scheme, not to mention implementing a new wrinkled every damned three years (pistol). They should try to stick with a certain type of QB.

I still think that we just need to throw the playbook away, take it on the chin for a season or two during the transition, and just go full spread with a big QB that can kill the zone-read. If we can successfully run a spread and put up 30 points a game with a Bud Foster defense ... lord.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
saw this question/answer on a (free) rivals chat:

Rivals.com Football Recruiting - Rivals100 live chat replay

Comment From Philip
What do you think of Bucky Hodge's chances at cracking the top 100 over the next year? and where could he improve to do so?
Mike Farrell: Phillip -- Bucky has a really nice highlight tape but game film is okay and I think there is a question about work ethic for sure based on sources in that area. He's not the next Logan Thomas that's for sure, but we'll see how his senior film is.

Has anyone else seen Bucky in person or his game film and know why they think that's only ok? Anyone else heard questions about his work ethic?

Rocky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they're both great but I'll take Bucky with Carlis as a WR .. mainly because I don't think it's good for our offense to shift back and forth their game plan.

Concur with that last part, although, Carlis could bring a new dimension to wildcat formations. Anything that gets the D to think too much, and get back on their heels, is always a good thing. If Carlis can break a run early in the game, every time he enters the backfield, the D will have pounding chests.

I think a big QB like LT suits the rest of our offensive players better.

Hard to disagree with, but it certainly is nuanced more than that (and I know you are well aware of that, I'm really not taking issue here, just expanding on your thought)

A GREAT team, as opposed to a very good team, will take advantage of the strengths of its players. Recruit the best athletes you can, and adopt the system, schemes, and style to fit their strengths. Trying to force a player into a system, is almost doomed to fail all the time, IMO. Of course, I am talking skill players here (QB, RB, WR), as opposed to linemen, but even there, different skills emerge, and can be exploited.

Tyrod was great but he was constantly running for his life for the first few years.

I think Tyrod was consciously trying to be a pass first, run last QB, (and was well aware of the knock on his passing game) and that gave him problems, especially at the beginning, but really, it seemed to plague him later too. Perhaps, JMO, he might have been a better contributor if allowed to freelance a bit more. Can't believe I even wrote that, but it fits with my philosophy as a coach.

Once LT settled in after the first few games, he was VERY impressive as a first year starter because the offense is NOW built around his strengths.

This thought I totally agree with, but it does seem a bit at odds with your statement to follow:

I think the offensive coaches have a hard enough time getting really good at one scheme, not to mention implementing a new wrinkled every damned three years (pistol). They should try to stick with a certain type of QB.

Every kid is going to be different. If you mean generically, then I could agree with that, ie, tall, well built, strong, smart, QBs, that can run.

Damn, those are going to be real hard to find.

I really don't think you can find a kid to fit the LT prototype again.

I still think that we just need to throw the playbook away, take it on the chin for a season or two during the transition, and just go full spread with a big QB that can kill the zone-read. If we can successfully run a spread and put up 30 points a game with a Bud Foster defense ... lord.

I like the thought of having a dominating offense, to compliment our dominating defense.

But, the O and D need to be complimentary. Can't score too quickly, because a D based on speed needs time to recover. Oregon, Boise, Texas Tech, can score very quickly, and their D pays for it over the course of the game.

Back to Carlis for a moment, the kid hasn't run in over a year, and his knee should be totally healed. I have to assume that he has a breakout year in HS this year.

His film as a 16 year old is impressive, especially on his quickness of "decision to run". He is off and running full speed almost at first step. He cuts at full speed, without losing much speed at all.

What caught my eye on his passing game, is his ability to accurately hit runners in full stride, and his quickness in getting the ball off when he sees a passing opportunity to be exploited.

Both run and pass decisions are made quickly.

The dilemma with Carlis, is the same as it was with Tyrod. If you make Carlis stand in the backfield, going through progressions, and ignoring a running opportunity when it presents, he wont be effective.

Nothing will ruin a players motivation quicker than thinking too much, not doing the things you love to do (getting the play off quickly, whether it be run or pass)

I love LT, but I love Carlis too. I would never want to be disappointed by comparing him to LT, and thinking he came up short.

On the contrary, they both have skill sets, different ones, that are equally impressive.

Build the offense around the QBs skill set (along with the rest of the skill players), and watch the points rise on the scoreboard.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The dilemma with Carlis, is the same as it was with Tyrod. If you make Carlis stand in the backfield, going through progressions, and ignoring a running opportunity when it presents, he wont be effective.

Nothing will ruin a players motivation quicker than thinking too much, not doing the things you love to do (getting the play off quickly, whether it be run or pass)

Think what it would have been like if Vick had stood in the backfield, going through progressions, and ignoring a running opportunity when it presents. Nevermind, you probably don't want those images in your head. Ugh.

But we played different offensive styles under Tyrod vs. Vick. And we have yet a different style today. If Parker turns into the man, how do you guys see our style changing? I don't think what works best for LT would work best for Parker.

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I just think that recruiting a certain type of QB has its merits and it makes it easier, over the course of several years, to fine tune a playbook to play to the strengths of a QB. A smaller, quicker, shifty QB that probably lacks great vision will be more effective with a certain playbook. Where-as, a taller, more powerful, but quick enough QB, with great vision will be more effective in other types of plays. Our offensive staff is less than dynamic as it is imo. Giving them the extra burden of having to revamp the offensive playcalling every 3 or so years is too much. I know this is an overstatement but the way that it affects the entire offense (especially the OL) can be significant. And then you take a year or two for the offense to get REALLY comfortable again. LT and Tyrod are both great QBs but very different.

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
FWiW .. I think that Parker looked pretty good but I think that Jennings looked better. Neither here nor there now but I think he's gonna make a HELL of a player. We were (I'm pretty sure) the first major school to offer him. His offer sheet now is very impressive (UNC, Ole Miss, Cincy, LSU, Oregon, Arkansas, Nebraska, Wisky, etc)