• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2013 Prospect Discussion Thread

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
"They seem intent on only taking two this class and Pfaff and Osterloh were definitely 1 and 2"

I'm just really confused about the numbers. We lose 4 starting OL from last year, 2 more after this year plus Via who is almost a starter, and we don't seem to be bringing in enough to replace them. Maybe I'm wrong. There are 5 positions where they should be trying to create an adequate 2 deep. It just seems like we should be bringing more OL in every year

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"They seem intent on only taking two this class and Pfaff and Osterloh were definitely 1 and 2"

I'm just really confused about the numbers. We lose 4 starting OL from last year, 2 more after this year plus Via who is almost a starter, and we don't seem to be bringing in enough to replace them. Maybe I'm wrong. There are 5 positions where they should be trying to create an adequate 2 deep. It just seems like we should be bringing more OL in every year

I hear ya. We have 6 scholarship OL who will be So or rSo in the fall. Then Goins as a rFr and Conte/Tarashke/Willenbrock as Fr. With the size of that So class they may be figuring they can wait another year before another big OL haul, and they'll have more spots in 2014 to play with.

Rocky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
nice article about Kellam's Nick Edwards today on 757.

My first thought was Matyiko, the family of oversized wrestlers and football players from Kellam back in the day. They move lighthouses and other impossible structures these days.

Anyways, Nick could be a late bloomer. He grew another inch, and put on 25 lbs of muscle, and is now at 6-5, 255. He was injured last season, and missed out on opportunities.

Supposed to have good speed, quick feet, great hands, and the ability to become a TE, Tackle, or DE.

Kellam Lineman Picks Up First Offer | Recruit757

He only has a Madison offer, but thats enough to prevent him from walking on.

Andy Hilton does praise this kid though, in a way I really haven't seen him do with too many others.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Just fyi in case anybody's curious. Tech likes to keep 14-16 OLs on the roster every year. Here's how it works:

Current OLs on the roster: 13
-------------------------
Nick Becton
Michael Via
Vinston Painter
Andrew Miller
David Wang
Matt Arkema
Kory Gough
Brent Benedict
Nick Acree
Laurence Gibson
Mark Shuman
Caleb Farris
Jake Goins

OLs arriving this coming Fall: 3
----------------------------
Jack Willenbrock
Adam Taraschke
Augie Conte

Total OLs on the roster this coming Fall: 16

Obviously, you can't play more than 5 OLs at a time as starters. Tech usually has an additional 5 in the 2-deep (3-4 will actually play), with another 3-5 in development (redshirt or not yet ready).

3 OLs (Becton, Via, and Painter) will graduate following the 2012 season. Two OLs will arrive in the Fall of 2013 (Pfaff and Osterloh). More than likely, as it usually happens every year, one or more DLs will make the switch to the offensive line following the 2012 season.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Pretty sure Kory Gough isn't on the team anymore.

The last I heard Gough had some kind of medical issue...hadn't heard anything definitive about him being gone for good.

But, he's definitely not on the current HokieSports roster.