• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2013 Penguins

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, they really need to tighten up, they don't have to be Boston, but they have to get that GAA down to 2.65-2.75 by the end of the year. They aren't winning much in the playoffs being bottom 10 in goals against.

7 days after this post the Pens now have a 2.67 goals against on the season, after giving up 5 goals combined in the their past 5 games.

Need to see more of this, they are playing playoff hockey now, and they need to carry this style into April.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would love to see TK go + a pick for some now value

Agreed, flip TK for a more physical third line type winger.

I'm also wondering what is wrong with Jason Arnott that he is still on the sidelines? I know he failed a physical earlier this year, but I think his type of play would be perfect in Pittsburgh right now.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's some statistics on the Pens' current winning streak, etc..

-- Besides their 10th win in a row, the Penguins are also riding an eight-game home winning streak. It also finished off their first season sweep of Washington since 2006-07.

-- Pittsburgh is the first team in NHL history to compile a winning streak of 10 or more games in three consecutive seasons.

-- The Penguins pulled one win closer to the franchise mark for wins in a calendar year. The all-time mark of 12 wins was also set in ’06-07 when they went 12-3-2 in March of that season.

-- During the streak, the Penguins have outscored foes by a 39-23 margin. Seven of the 10 wins have been one-goal victories.

-- C Sidney Crosby and Washington LW Alex Ovechkin have now gone head-to-head 25 times, with the Penguins posting a 16-7-2 record. Crosby has outscored Ovechkin in those contests posting 43 points, while Ovechkin has the advantage in goals with 17. Crosby has 14 goals in those games.

-- With his two assists, Crosby now has logged 100 multi-assist games and 200 multi-point games.

-- Since the rivals entered the league in ’05-06, Ovechkin leads all NHL players in points with 703 (351 goals), while Crosby places third overall with 659 points (236 goals). Crosby leads all players over that time span in points per game, averaging 1.42.

-- The Penguins have posted a 5-0 home record against the Southeast Division this season. Over their last 25 home games, the Penguins have gone 22-2-1 including a current 16 game home unbeaten stretch (15-0-1) vs. the Southeast.

-- D Paul Martin’s second-period power-play goal was the Penguins’ league-leading 28th. They currently rank fourth in the league in power-play percentage (24.5).

-- Martin’s goal was his sixth of the season as he now has 16 points in his last 21 games. Martin is currently tied for fifth among defensemen in scoring with 19 points (13 assists). He also stepped into the shoes of Kris Letang, who missed the game with a lower body injury, as the team’s leader in ice time, logging 28:14.

-- Including his assist last night, RW Beau Bennett now has eight points (2G-6A) in his last 12 games.

-- RW Pascal Dupuis saw his three-game scoring streak come to an end. He had picked up four points (3G-1A) over that span.

-- Prior to last night, the Penguins were 0-3-1 all-time against Washington without C Evgeni Malkin. They had been shutout in the last two meetings without the league’s reigning MVP.

-- In his last 28 regular-season home starts, G Marc-Andre Fleury is 22-5-0 with one no-decision. He’s allowed just 16 goals in his last nine games versus Washington.

-- The Penguins extended their sellout streak to 269 consecutive games, with 18,653 in attendance.

JustAsking

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Cool info, little tidbits are always fun to know...

quick question... Ryan O'Byrne... anyone know much about him? His size, his minutes, his blocked shots, and hits are intriguing me... butiI don't watch the West much, so I'm not familiar with his game...

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I remember he is like Andy Sutton, who I believe was/is a horrendous player.

JustAsking

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Trying to find a Hal Gill type player... speaking of Hal Gill, he only played a handful of games this year... which brings me to my next point/question? Hal Gill is not a good regualr season player becausehe is slow of foot and relies on his wingspan, which, during the regular season, will probably result in a hold or interference. However, historicall, in the playoffs, the games are called differently and players like Gill have a very important role... BUT if this year playoffs are called like this years regular season, stressing no tolerance on interfernce, then those players like Gill become useless again.

What do you think, should the Pens target, if any, a larger body or foot speed from a defenseman... I think we agree, if anyone, they need to be sound defensively... but how to get there... big body or speed.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you think, should the Pens target, if any, a larger body or foot speed from a defenseman... I think we agree, if anyone, they need to be sound defensively... but how to get there... big body or speed.

Robyn Regehr

He isn't quite a Hal Gill sized guy, only 6'3", but he is definitely a stay at home type D-man. Currently on an expiring contract with Buffalo, and I would imagine the Sabres will be looking to deal him based on their current record and the fact he is a FA come 2013-14. He's a -1 in 23 games playing for a Sabres team that isn't very responsible defensively, this season. I'd give him a look.

To your question about what type of D-man... go for the big body. Like you pointed out, JA, the Playoffs change the way the officiating works. The clutch and grab, interference type game is given more rope in the post-season. Might as well embrace it with players who can take advantage of it.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Douglas Murray could be an option if San Jose falls out of the playoffs.

JustAsking

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Robyn Regehr

QUOTE]

I was thinking about him as well... but do you think Buffalo would want a roster player, what would be the asking proce... for this type of player, playing the 7th spot up the 4th spot, I would hate to give up a body, rather just a mid-rd pick... eventually I trickled down to Obyrne, thinking, if he was moveable, it would be only for a pick.. but I really have no idea...

JustAsking

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I wonder what the reaction would be if he did come back this time around...

Morrow is one to look at for sure, IMO (but I see him in Chicago... Montreal, in red, wierd huh?)... it will be an interesting deadline I think, a lot of UFAs from teams that usually aren't sellers, or finding their star players being those UFAs... on the offensive side of the puck, I haven't glanced over the defenseman yet.

Like I said... I see him in black and gold, not in red...

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thirteen in a row :yahoo:

Crappy luck about Fleury getting hurt. He is on one hell of a stretch right now. Sucks to see him get hurt like that.

Vokoun is definitely a more than capable backup, though. I heard this morning that in three relief appearances by Vokoun this season, he has yet to yield a goal after replacing Fleury in a game, going 33 for 33. Not too shabby.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
gionta.gif

This angle shows a different story than what Gionta offered up after the game.

“If you watch the replay, their guy falls on Fleury and it’s pretty much self-explanatory,” Gionta said.
:rollseyes:

Sure does look like Gionta had every intention of tripping Kennedy into the blue paint. While I can't say he had a definite purpose of injuring Fleury, his explanation afterwards makes me think he's full of it.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
gionta.gif

This angle shows a different story than what Gionta offered up after the game.

:rollseyes:

Sure does look like Gionta had every intention of tripping Kennedy into the blue paint. While I can't say he had a definite purpose of injuring Fleury, his explanation afterwards makes me think he's full of it.

Yea, it was questionable. I thought the Pens handled it reasonably well, an extra shot here and there to let him know they know.

JustAsking

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
OK... not giving up a roster player is HUGE.. when going for a cup run, don't mess with the existing locker room if things are going well. Morrow may be missed, I don't know a lot about the forwards. The #1, meh, only bad if we don't win the cup I suppose. Some things I see written on the wall... The Penns MGMT are going all in this year because they know next year they will not have either Letang or Malkin... and selling the 'future' will only be short lived when the pens trade either Letang or Malkin and replinish... ok, that's another discussion...

My only concern.. and it's HUGE...can Fleury handle the pressure of being the goalie on this team, with all the expectations... HE is the only quesion mark on this team right now. All other aspects (injuries) aside, the Pens should not be out matched in a 7 game series.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK... not giving up a roster player is HUGE.. when going for a cup run, don't mess with the existing locker room if things are going well. Morrow may be missed, I don't know a lot about the forwards. The #1, meh, only bad if we don't win the cup I suppose. Some things I see written on the wall... The Penns MGMT are going all in this year because they know next year they will not have either Letang or Malkin... and selling the 'future' will only be short lived when the pens trade either Letang or Malkin and replinish... ok, that's another discussion...

My only concern.. and it's HUGE...can Fleury handle the pressure of being the goalie on this team, with all the expectations... HE is the only quesion mark on this team right now. All other aspects (injuries) aside, the Pens should not be out matched in a 7 game series.

He already has two finals appearances and one cup, I don't see why he couldn't do it again.

JustAsking

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
That was a few years ago, when he didn't have his recent playoff struggles in his mind, nor the pressure or expectations where on those teams like this team...

Plus I never said he couldn't do it.. I just said he is my only concern.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm less worried about Fleury/Vokoun in the playoffs right now because the team is playing responsible defense in front of both of them seemingly every night.

Look at their blocked shot totals during this winning streak! They're insane! I haven't seen them sell out like this to block shots probably going all the way back to the Tampa Bay series when TK was our best forward.

Is there the potential that Fleury could fall apart in the playoffs again? Sure. However, if the way they are playing defense right now can carry all the way through these last dozen games and into May, I don't see the wheels falling off.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was a few years ago, when he didn't have his recent playoff struggles in his mind, nor the pressure or expectations where on those teams like this team...

Plus I never said he couldn't do it.. I just said he is my only concern.

Alright, fair enough. I'm more worried about the defense falling apart again more than anything.