• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2-hand touch football

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
These weak wimps should be taking concussions for our amusement. What happened to this game?

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can understand why some of the hits are illegal and deserve fines. I just think it's getting to be a bit ridiculous. I don't often agree with Warren Sapp, but he made a good point when he said he wants players to hit up high, because if they can't they are taking out your knees and that will end a lot of careers.

What really bothers me is the fact that the NFL takes all of this money from the players and puts it back into their own pocket. Why not distribute some of that money to charity or at least do something more useful than giving it to the 1%! Assholes.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I can understand why some of the hits are illegal and deserve fines. I just think it's getting to be a bit ridiculous. I don't often agree with Warren Sapp, but he made a good point when he said he wants players to hit up high, because if they can't they are taking out your knees and that will end a lot of careers.

What really bothers me is the fact that the NFL takes all of this money from the players and puts it back into their own pocket. Why not distribute some of that money to charity or at least do something more useful than giving it to the 1%! Assholes.

The fine money doesn't go back into their pockets and it does go to charity and to some of the players retirement programs.

Where does fine money go

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
These weak wimps should be taking concussions for our amusement. What happened to this game?

They aren't taking concussions for our amusement but for that big fat pay check get. Which is why like numone9er said they would rather be hit high and get a concussion than get hit and blow out a knee.

With that said I fully support reasonable ways to make the game safer and I'm all for rules that flag spearing and helmet to helmet hits. But I think the NFL has gone too far and we've seen times where to many legal hits get flagged and many times where the defender did everything right but still unintentionally hit the helmet and got a flag.

It's a physical and dangerous game that's not good for your body. And you know exactly what you're getting into when you sign up for it which is why I don't feel sorry for these guys out there. If you don't want to pay that price than simply don't play the game since nobody is forcing you too.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Back then did they even know what a concussion was?
At some point back in the day athletes thought concussions was the same as sleeping.
You just wake up from it and you are good to go.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
And you know exactly what you're getting into when you sign up for it which is why I don't feel sorry for these guys out there. If you don't want to pay that price than simply don't play the game since nobody is forcing you too.

Are you serious? They used to say these things about guys dying in unsafe mines too.

There's nothing wrong with a little progress. Nothing in the world can justify the situation where some of these guys' brains are rotted out by 50.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The millions of dollars are paid for their ability, on a supply and demand basis......not to be crash test dummies. Most of society did away with that argument about 100 years ago.

Look, anyone even partially aware of what's happening to these guys' brains wouldn't think of continuing the status quo. Its a tragedy.

Giantsmojo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They aren't taking concussions for our amusement but for that big fat pay check get. Which is why like numone9er said they would rather be hit high and get a concussion than get hit and blow out a knee.

With that said I fully support reasonable ways to make the game safer and I'm all for rules that flag spearing and helmet to helmet hits. But I think the NFL has gone too far and we've seen times where to many legal hits get flagged and many times where the defender did everything right but still unintentionally hit the helmet and got a flag.

It's a physical and dangerous game that's not good for your body. And you know exactly what you're getting into when you sign up for it which is why I don't feel sorry for these guys out there. If you don't want to pay that price than simply don't play the game since nobody is forcing you too.

I agree with the rule changes to make the game safer for the players, but if a flag for an illegal hit is thrown then it needs to be reviewed by the upstairs official like they do for a TD, except it should be just a confirm or over turn, no need for the officials on the field to review it.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
The millions of dollars are paid for their ability, on a supply and demand basis......not to be crash test dummies.

Actually the demand IS for them to be crash test dummies. That's the entire point of the game: collisions.

Most of society did away with that argument about 100 years ago.

Most of society did away with the arguement that football players volunteer to play a violent sport for millions of dollars 100 years ago? In 1912? How much did football players make back then?

Look, anyone even partially aware of what's happening to these guys' brains wouldn't think of continuing the status quo. Its a tragedy.

If they're concerned about what's going to happen to tehir brains, ACL, discs, other ligaments, etc. then nothing's stopping them from becoming plummers.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
A. Then why are baseball players and basketball players also paid millions? The money is for their ability as professional athletes, not as professional crash test dummies.

B. The argument that safety standards don't apply as long as the employee is paid enough (paid enough by YOUR standards, not theirs), but you knew this.

C. That is a ridiculous argument that could be used against ANY safety standards in any profession in the world. If the miners don't like working in deadly mines, they can go be gardeners. If the window washer insists on a safety harness while working from heights, he can go be a clown in the circus. These are not logical statements, its rationalizing nonsense.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm somewhere in the middle on this.

While I understand concussions is a serious issue, this is a really violent game, and most of the times the plays that are flagged are just players trying to make football plays.

Just a really tough call. Hopefully helmet technology keeps evolving.

Maybe we should give up a helmet like the one Achilles has.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
A. Then why are baseball players and basketball players also paid millions? The money is for their ability as professional athletes, not as professional crash test dummies.

Answer: demand. Simple economics. They play a completely different sport than football, so they're not at as big a risk for concussions; but they can still happen in contact sports. Just like a professional race car driver can possibly die in a crash as some have. Don't want to die crashing into something at 150MPH? Don't become a professional race car driver.

B. The argument that safety standards don't apply as long as the employee is paid enough... That is a ridiculous argument that could be used against ANY safety standards in any profession in the world.

A little confused here. Did you mean the arguement IS that... ??? I'm all for maximizing safety SDD. I never said otherwise. I just didn't agree to your objection to the arguement that nobody is forcing them to play a dangerous sport. Everyone has to take risk into consideration when they sign up for a job. If you want a safe job don't become a crab fisherman.

Whenever I converse with you I feel like I'm talking to 1950.

That's weird because I wasn't alive anywhere near the 50's. I'm sure the 50's had its good points & bad points, but I wasn't responsible for either one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
players are getting bigger, stronger and faster. the human body wasn't meant to perform like this. we were suppose to run away from tigers, not tackle them.