• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

1st Round Grade for 49ers

1st Rd Grade for 49ers?

• A

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • B

Votes: 24 41.4%
  • C

Votes: 14 24.1%
  • D

Votes: 8 13.8%
  • F

Votes: 9 15.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe that's the plan then; otherwise why sign Bethea?

That's a good question. I think he will do well as a slot corner and possibly get stronger on his upper body and eventually takes over for Bethea. I know he's signed for four years, but they can let him go after two years. Lee lost a lot of money after his mediocre season. He should have declared after the 2012 season.

Excel

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its pretty certain he is going to be in the competition for Nickel Corner, both Balke and Harbough said as much in their pressers. Nickel corner and safety.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think their plans is to play him as a slot corner. Even if they picked Lee, he wouldn't start over Boldin and Crabtree. Other teams also passed on Lee. Why did they?

A big, fast receiver was a necessity for this team. He goes up and catches bad balls like Boldin does. We all know how inaccurate kaepernick is. He could use another big guy who is fast and has great hands.

Louie26

Beavers Suck
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,238.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
49ers were the biggest fail in the first round of all 32 teams. You cannot pass on a monster like Marquise lee and take a first round bust like Jimmie Ward.

No offense Toby, but this is stupid!!! Not a bust until he does/doesn't step onto the field.

A monster like Lee? -- Fast, but drops balls a lot AND has a history of injury??

This wasn't a WOW pick for us, didn't think Reid was last year either. That seemed to work out.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is the plan. Harbaugh said so.

Kid has a lot of versatility and that is huge in the nfl.

Not sure how you can tell that with the low level of competition he played against in college. The fact that he was still in school as a senior says something about his talent level.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its pretty certain he is going to be in the competition for Nickel Corner, both Balke and Harbough said as much in their pressers. Nickel corner and safety.

For the first round pick? C'mon now. You gotta do better than that in the first round.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No offense Toby, but this is stupid!!! Not a bust until he does/doesn't step onto the field.

A monster like Lee? -- Fast, but drops balls a lot AND has a history of injury??

This wasn't a WOW pick for us, didn't think Reid was last year either. That seemed to work out.

None taken. I just hate this pick and need to rant.

Louie26

Beavers Suck
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,238.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact that he was still in school as a senior, tells you something right there. How the fuck could they have passed on Marquise Lee?

How about the DT from Florida that NE picked? Could be HUGE in the NFL. He was also a senior, means nothing!

Louie26

Beavers Suck
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,238.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
None taken. I just hate this pick and need to rant.

Fair enough! Also, understood!

I was scratching my head a little also, especially since Roby was there. BUT, personally, I don't watch enough film on most of these guys, so I don't have a ton of knowledge on them.

I guess, we have to do our damnedest to trust Baalke and Co. Getting tough, I know!

Excel

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure how you can tell that with the low level of competition he played against in college. The fact that he was still in school as a senior says something about his talent level.

The quality of competition arguement is getting a bit passé.
Not only did NIU play some pretty good teams while he was there, and he has good tape against teams like FLorida State.

With the popularity of football, and the improvements in physical fitness. It is not like he is playing guys that are running a 4.8, and completely suck.
I think there is still a small bit of value to that arguement, but not a real solid reason to discount a guy completely anymore.

AU_Fever

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about the DT from Florida that NE picked? Could be HUGE in the NFL. He was also a senior, means nothing!

Wasn't Bridgewater also a senior? Some guys like the college experience to improve their game. Bridgewater had a terrible pro day, but I think he will do well with the Vikings. It also doesn't hurt that you have the best RB in the game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact that he was still in school as a senior, tells you something right there. How the fuck could they have passed on Marquise Lee?

Do a little more research on him and you'll see that he was under-scouted after being an elite high school player. If he can stick to guys like Dri Archer in the slot- he's got some very solid cover skills.

Like I said before on Lee- I like him, but his whopping 12% drop rate is alarming and USC hasn't exactly been a WR factory for the NFL.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The last time Harbaugh n Baalke had to excessively explain the reasoning of their draft pick was in 2012 with AJ Jenkins... then a domino effect....

telling you, read my sig! lol

AU_Fever

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The last time Harbaugh n Baalke had to excessively explain the reasoning of their draft pick was in 2012 with AJ Jenkins... then a domino effect....

telling you, read my sig! lol

Hope you are wrong Calamity. We don't need a repeat of 2012. :lol:

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do a little more research on him and you'll see that he was under-scouted after being an elite high school player. If he can stick to guys like Dri Archer in the slot- he's got some very solid cover skills.

Like I said before on Lee- I like him, but his whopping 12% drop rate is alarming and USC hasn't exactly been a WR factory for the NFL.

8 Reps on bench. He is not a strong kid. That will hurt him. Also he is coming off an injury. Shaky pick by the 49ers.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My ND guys should of stayed 1 more year.... Tuitt and Nix. Both great pick up in the 2nd rd who ever lands them.

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
8 Reps on bench. He is not a strong kid. That will hurt him. Also he is coming off an injury. Shaky pick by the 49ers.

I wouldn't call it shaky. I'd call it unexpected, but when you do research on him- it looks better. Being compared to a poor man's Kenny Vaccaro and being called the best DB in Senior Bowl practices are impressive items in my mind. People that get paid to study film like the pick, so I'm going to side with them on this one.

I wasn't thrilled with the pick at the time, but I like it more the more I look into it.....

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hope you are wrong Calamity. We don't need a repeat of 2012. :lol:

lol

I'm saying, for all the immediate answering to backlash/questions about the Ward selection, I mean it really brings back the Jenkins fiasco where its more talk than actual product....

hope it changes but not a good start

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't call it shaky. I'd call it unexpected, but when you do research on him- it looks better. Being compared to a poor man's Kenny Vaccaro and being called the best DB in Senior Bowl practices are impressive items in my mind. People that get paid to study film like the pick, so I'm going to side with them on this one.

I wasn't thrilled with the pick at the time, but I like it more the more I look into it.....

He didn't look great against FSU. I put up a video in another Thread I think.

Kendal

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Over half of the first round draft picks were seniors, just sayin...