• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: 1st Round: Boston Celtics vs Philadelphia Sixers

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think the 76ers would offer the job to Villanova's Jay Wright?

Oooh. That's a tough call. I could see them going that route. Interesting option for sure.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you keep two players, but want to get rid of everyone else, is that not blowing up the team?

if you are keeping the core of your team- which Simmons and Embiid are without a doubt- i would never consider that "blowing it up and STARTING FROM SCRATCH"

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Sixers are in a really tough spot re: what to do with Embiid and Simmons.

Ultimately, they have to decide if the problem is Brown or if it's Embiid and Simmons.

If they fire Brown, get a another coach, keep Embiid and Simmons and it turns out Brown was the problem...they're good.

But, if they fire Brown, bring in another coach and it turns out Embiid and Simmons are the problem...they won't be able to get anywhere the trade value that they would now.

To me, Simmons is the problem. Embiid is just a whiny punk and you see the lack of effort at times. I mean Brown might be a problem to but just from a player standpoint...Simmons needs to go.

I'm not sure how you get rid of that Horford contract.
Harris is a good player but he is not worth $35M/year as a 3rd option. Not sure you are getting rid of that either.

Once that Simmons contract kicks in you have to pick and choose or try to dump Horford and give up a 1st or something...

20-21
Harris $35M
Embiid $29M
Simmons $29M
Horford $27.5M

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oooh. That's a tough call. I could see them going that route. Interesting option for sure.

It would be a great PR move. But how often do CBB coaches have success in the NBA? Outside of Stevens and Donovan I can't remember the last CBB coach that made a successful jump to the NBA.

But since it's the 76ers I want them to make a terrible coaching hire. They should go with Lavar Ball.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 76ers should throw big money at Ty Lue and have him bring Gentry on to run the offense. If those two can't get the guys to play well together, nothing will. 76ers need to exhaust all options before trading those guys, IMO.

Yeah. They should have gotten rid of Brown after last season, if not sooner. I'm inclined to agree with exhausting all options, those are 2 very talented players.

But, based on what we've seen, it's a risky move. More risky than you'd expect given their talent.

The worst part, imo, is that if turns out Simmons and Embiid are the problem, they can't even tank because they're still good enough to keep getting 5th or 6th seeds in the East.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if you are keeping the core of your team- which Simmons and Embiid are without a doubt- i would never consider that "blowing it up and STARTING FROM SCRATCH"

Even though literally a sentence later I said it didn't refer to that. Ok.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me, Simmons is the problem. Embiid is just a whiny punk and you see the lack of effort at times. I mean Brown might be a problem to but just from a player standpoint...Simmons needs to go.

I'm not sure how you get rid of that Horford contract.
Harris is a good player but he is not worth $35M/year as a 3rd option. Not sure you are getting rid of that either.

Once that Simmons contract kicks in you have to pick and choose or try to dump Horford and give up a 1st or something...

20-21
Harris $35M
Embiid $29M
Simmons $29M
Horford $27.5M
they need a point guard who is a leader and can run the show

i wonder if OKC would swap Paul for Horford and save some money--- with how good Paul has been they might have to throw in more even though Paul's contract is way worse

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even though literally a sentence later I said it didn't refer to that. Ok.
World Wide Words: Start from scratch.

Start from scratch
Q From Ken Rodman: Could you please help me with the origin of the phrase: start from scratch?

A To start from scratch is to begin from the beginning, to set out on some action or process without any prior preparation, knowledge or advantage.

Scratch has been known since the middle of the eighteenth century as a sporting term for a line scratched on the ground that acted as a boundary line or starting point. The first example in the Oxford English Dictionary actually relates to cricket and indicated the crease, the line drawn in front of the stumps where the batsman stands. But the term is much better known from boxing, or rather from bare-knuckle fighting, in reference to the line drawn across the ring to which the boxers are brought to begin their bout. This gave rise to expressions like to be up to scratch, to meet the required standard in something.

Your phrase appeared a century later, by which time scratch had also came to mean the starting line for a race. Competitors who began from this line had the least favourable handicap and so were given no advantage. To start from scratch meant you had been allowed no odds in your favour. It has been generalised from that.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LMAO, I love this board.

Wiggy: Blow up the team and start from scratch? What are you smoking
Me: You didn't read the full post. I said keeping Embiid and Simmons.
Wiggy: But that's not how I would interpret it.
Me: Ok, but I elaborated more past the first sentence.
Wiggy: To me, how I interpret that is...
Me: I literally provided context so you don't need to interpret.
Wiggy: Well let me know how I interpret context...

This could go on for a while guys.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Sixers are in a really tough spot re: what to do with Embiid and Simmons.

Ultimately, they have to decide if the problem is Brown or if it's Embiid and Simmons.

If they fire Brown, get a another coach, keep Embiid and Simmons and it turns out Brown was the problem...they're good.

But, if they fire Brown, bring in another coach and it turns out Embiid and Simmons are the problem...they won't be able to get anywhere near the trade value that they would now.

Agree with this 110% and that’s the issue in them giving Brown mulligans. You can’t assess the fit with a bad coach. We should already know if Embiid Simmons works. For me, I look at the untradeable pieces in Harris and Horford. I also look at Embiid’s fragility plus the fact that he is all NBA. I think he brings back the most in a trade and I think Horford easily steps into being the 5 for 30-33 minutes a night on a Ben Simmons led team. Embiid should bring back a Beal or other quality shooter that can pair with Simmons. Simmons also makes Tobias Harris and other pieces on the team better. Gun to my head, I pick Simmons to build around and deal Embiid. The days of the dominant big are over. If this was the 90s Embiid would be the building block. Give me Simmons all day long. (My humble opinion).

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what it comes down to is they should have never fired Hinkie and hired Colangelo.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LMAO, I love this board.

Wiggy: Blow up the team and start from scratch? What are you smoking
Me: You didn't read the full post. I said keeping Embiid and Simmons.
Wiggy: But that's not how I would interpret it.
Me: Ok, but I elaborated more past the first sentence.
Wiggy: To me, how I interpret that is...
Me: I literally provided context so you don't need to interpret.
Wiggy: Well let me know how I interpret context...

This could go on for a while guys.
if you can interrupt "blow up the team and start from scratch" as - keep the 2 most important players and build around them---- then i would question your grasp on the English language.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i dont think the problem is embiid or simmons at all

i think the problem is that this is a league dominated by wing players and they paid Harris and Horford when they already have a center and Pf who are young extremely talented players.

now that they have themselves in this pickle it wont be easy to get out of- all though i think horford is just fully guaranteed 2 more years unless i am mistaken.....

richardson, thybulle, z. smith are good wings--

what they really need is a point guard. Wonder if there is an expensive guy that a team isnt thrilled with that they could swap for horford.

i think that would make a big difference

Yeah, you could be right. They are kind of oddly built.

My issues with both Embiid and Simmons is that I just don't really see much improvement from them.

Every year we hear that Simmons is working on his 3 and every year, he refuses to shoot it. Embiid can be a dominant force when he wants to. But he only seems to want to about half the time.

The Sixers have been waiting for either one or both of these guys to step up and be a leader and neither appears to be doing that either.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if you can interrupt "blow up the team and start from scratch" as - keep the 2 most important players and build around them---- then i would question your grasp on the English language.

Interrupt? LMAO.

Just go have a seat and relax. Draft lottery will be on shortly.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, you could be right. They are kind of oddly built.

My issues with both Embiid and Simmons is that I just don't really see much improvement from them.

Every year we hear that Simmons is working on his 3 and every year, he refuses to shoot it. Embiid can be a dominant force when he wants to. But he only seems to want to about half the time.

The Sixers have been waiting for either one or both of these guys to step up and be a leader and neither appears to be doing that either.
yah the simmons as a back court player expirement has to end---- if one day he develops a jump shot great- but at this point he is a PF.

they basically have 3 power forwards that they are paying like 75 million dollars to. lol

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
20-21
Harris $35M
Embiid $29M
Simmons $29M
Horford $27.5M

200.gif

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they need a point guard who is a leader and can run the show

i wonder if OKC would swap Paul for Horford and save some money--- with how good Paul has been they might have to throw in more even though Paul's contract is way worse

I highly doubt it. CP3 is still a capable player and Horford is basically useless. Still both are bad contracts.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what it comes down to is they should have never fired Hinkie and hired Colangelo.

Not our call. The NBA hated the process and forced Silver to step in and hire Colangelo Sr. Hinkie said Fuck this noise, I’m not working this way and resigned.

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wright isn't leaving Villanova. Getting rid of everyone but Simmons and Embiid couldn't be considered blowing things up, since there's nothing outside of them to begin with.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going to be really interesting to see how Embiid and the Sixers respond tonight.

Going to reveal a lot about their character.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Embiid is trash. So fucking bad with the ball. Dude might have less coordination than Eli Manning.