• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

100th Anniversary Team - 5 years early

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the Best CB Ever thread someone speculated that Neon Deion would make the 100th anniversary team. So, should he make the grade? Post your team and debate. You can project 5 more years at current levels for current players if you like.

The 75th anniversary team had the following number of slots:
QB - 4
FB - 3
HB - 4
WR - 4
TE - 2
T - 3
G - 3
C - 2
DE - 3
DT - 3
LB - 7
CB - 4
S - 3

P - 1
PK - 1
PR - 1
KR - 1

Mine:
QB - Joe Montana, Johnny Unitas, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady - Bugh and Braham were good, but the Big 2 of this era are better.
FB - Mr. Jim Brown, Marion Motley, Bronco Nagurski - this position is no longer valuable so the 75th guys remain
RB - Walter Payton, Barry Sanders, OJ Simpson, Adrian Peterson. Sweetness and Barry are easy. Replacing Sayers with Peterson is tough but in 5 years he'll deserve it. Leaving Dickerson off the list tough too.
WR - Mr. Jerry Rice, Don Hutson, Calvin Johnson, Randy Moss. 4th WR the toughest call, but Moss had some magical seasons.
TE - Mike Ditka, Tony Gonzalez. This one at least is easy unless Jimmy Graham averages 100-1300-12 over the next 5 years.
T - Forrest Gregg, Anthony Munoz, Art Shell. don't know what they were thinking leaving Shell off the original team.
G - Jim Parker, John Hannah, Larry Allen - easy addition of Allen here to the 75th team.
C - Mike Webster, Jim Otto - again, don't know what they were thinking leaving Otto off the first team.

DE - Reggie White, Bruce Smith, Deacon Jones - easy one here
DT - Merlin Olson, Joe Green, Ndamokung Suh - Lilly was good, Suh is better.
LB - Mr. Lawrence Taylor, Mr. Dick Butkus, Ray Nitschke, Ray Lewis, Jack Lambert, Jack Ham, Chuck Bednarik - don't know how you kept Bednarik off the 75th team.
CB - Deion Sanders, Mel Blount, Darryl Green, Dick Lane - toughest position to make that 4th number.
S - Ronnie Lott, Ed Reed, Troy Polamalu

P - Ray Guy
PK - Morten Andersen
KR - Gayle Sayers. Sorry, Devin Hester
PR - Deion Sanders

Midnightangel

Troll slayer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the Best CB Ever thread someone speculated that Neon Deion would make the 100th anniversary team. So, should he make the grade? Post your team and debate. You can project 5 more years at current levels for current players if you like.

The 75th anniversary team had the following number of slots:
QB - 4
FB - 3
HB - 4
WR - 4
TE - 2
T - 3
G - 3
C - 2
DE - 3
DT - 3
LB - 7
CB - 4
S - 3

P - 1
PK - 1
PR - 1
KR - 1

Mine:
QB - Joe Montana, Johnny Unitas, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady - Bugh and Braham were good, but the Big 2 of this era are better.
FB - Mr. Jim Brown, Marion Motley, Bronco Nagurski - this position is no longer valuable so the 75th guys remain
RB - Walter Payton, Barry Sanders, OJ Simpson, Adrian Peterson. Sweetness and Barry are easy. Replacing Sayers with Peterson is tough but in 5 years he'll deserve it. Leaving Dickerson off the list tough too.
WR - Mr. Jerry Rice, Don Hutson, Calvin Johnson, Randy Moss. 4th WR the toughest call, but Moss had some magical seasons.
TE - Mike Ditka, Tony Gonzalez. This one at least is easy unless Jimmy Graham averages 100-1300-12 over the next 5 years.
T - Forrest Gregg, Anthony Munoz, Art Shell. don't know what they were thinking leaving Shell off the original team.
G - Jim Parker, John Hannah, Larry Allen - easy addition of Allen here to the 75th team.
C - Mike Webster, Jim Otto - again, don't know what they were thinking leaving Otto off the first team.

DE - Reggie White, Bruce Smith, Deacon Jones - easy one here
DT - Merlin Olson, Joe Green, Ndamokung Suh - Lilly was good, Suh is better.
LB - Mr. Lawrence Taylor, Mr. Dick Butkus, Ray Nitschke, Ray Lewis, Jack Lambert, Jack Ham, Chuck Bednarik - don't know how you kept Bednarik off the 75th team.
CB - Deion Sanders, Mel Blount, Darryl Green, Dick Lane - toughest position to make that 4th number.
S - Ronnie Lott, Ed Reed, Troy Polamalu

P - Ray Guy
PK - Morten Andersen
KR - Gayle Sayers. Sorry, Devin Hester
PR - Deion Sanders

I can not put Tom Brady in as one of the best QB's ever, he's simply not tough enough. The guys back then played by a different set of rules, a set of rules Tom wouldn't make by today. I'd rather see Favre and leave Slingin' Sammy on it.

I'm against putting Moss on this list - he's to much of a diva. He doesn't belong. He took plays off, by his own admission. Replace with Chris Carter or Michael Irvin.

I'd also keep Suh off the list at DT. He draws to many flags and hurts his team. Replace with Lilly.

Also no way I put Deion on the CB's list - the man couldn't tackle to save his life. CB's do have to make plays beyond covering their own man. Replace with Rod Woodson. He was a shut down corner and could hit like a LB.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no way Suh belongs on that list.
Also & I know I will be in the minority on this, but I think Randy White was better than Lilly.

indypatfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not questioning any pick, only your statement on Bradys tough enough, I can't think of any QB who has played a higher % of his teams off. plays in the last 15 yrs. The only time I can remember (except 2008) him coming out of a game after a hard hit was a 20001 play off game with Pitt. Tough is staying in the game hit after hit, game after game, year after year.

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not questioning any pick, only your statement on Bradys tough enough, I can't think of any QB who has played a higher % of his teams off. plays in the last 15 yrs. The only time I can remember (except 2008) him coming out of a game after a hard hit was a 20001 play off game with Pitt. Tough is staying in the game hit after hit, game after game, year after year.

Aint it. its like me saying I cant put the Steel Curtain as one of the best D;s ever because they were soft. Whaaaaat?

Midnightangel

Troll slayer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Tough men don't drop to the ground in a fetal position rather than take a hit.

Big Ben = tough.

Brett Farve = tough.

I can use a lot of adjectives to describe Tom Brady and 'tough' isn't one of them.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Big Ben = tough.

Brett Farve = tough.

I can use a lot of adjectives to describe Tom Brady and 'tough' isn't one of them.

Bob Saget = tougher.

melmaan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my All-Time 53 man Roster

4 QB's - Unitas, Montana, Marino, and whoever gets the next SB trophy Peyton or Brady
4 QB's required because the All-Time D is a Killer
5 RB's - Jim Brown, Barry Sanders, Earl Campell, BO Jackson and Lenny Moore
3 TEs - GRONK, Graham and Kellen Winslow SR.
6 WR's - Rice, Moss, Paul Warfield, Lance Alworth, Calvin Johnson and either Art Monk or Harold Carmichael
3 OT's - Larry Allen, Anthony Munoz, Willie Roaf
2 Ctr. - Mike Webster, Dr. Bill Lenkitas
3 OG's - HOG Hannah, Walter Jones, Jim Parker

1 - NT - Ted Washington
3 - DT's - Deacon Jones, Mean Joe, Buck Buchannan,
4 - DE - Reggie White, Bruce Smith, Carl Eller, Leroy Selmon
4 OLB - Lawrence Taylor, Derrick Thomas, Willie Lanier, Andre Tippett
3 ILB's - BUTKUS, Singleton, Jack Lambert
5 CB's - Deion, Mel Blount, Mike Haynes, Darrell Green, Darrelle Revis
4 Safeties - Ed Reed, Ronnie Lott, Paule Krause and Rodney Harrison

1 - Punter = Ray Guy ... of course
1 - Kicker =
Returns = Devin Hester

think that's 53 ... w/ a cple that may catch your eye

Midnightangel

Troll slayer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my All-Time 53 man Roster

4 QB's - Unitas, Montana, Marino, and whoever gets the next SB trophy Peyton or Brady
4 QB's required because the All-Time D is a Killer
5 RB's - Jim Brown, Barry Sanders, Earl Campell, BO Jackson and Lenny Moore
3 TEs - GRONK, Graham and Kellen Winslow SR.
6 WR's - Rice, Moss, Paul Warfield, Lance Alworth, Calvin Johnson and either Art Monk or Harold Carmichael
3 OT's - Larry Allen, Anthony Munoz, Willie Roaf
2 Ctr. - Mike Webster, Dr. Bill Lenkitas
3 OG's - HOG Hannah, Walter Jones, Jim Parker

1 - NT - Ted Washington
3 - DT's - Deacon Jones, Mean Joe, Buck Buchannan,
4 - DE - Reggie White, Bruce Smith, Carl Eller, Leroy Selmon
4 OLB - Lawrence Taylor, Derrick Thomas, Willie Lanier, Andre Tippett
3 ILB's - BUTKUS, Singleton, Jack Lambert
5 CB's - Deion, Mel Blount, Mike Haynes, Darrell Green, Darrelle Revis
4 Safeties - Ed Reed, Ronnie Lott, Paule Krause and Rodney Harrison

1 - Punter = Ray Guy ... of course
1 - Kicker =
Returns = Devin Hester

think that's 53 ... w/ a cple that may catch your eye

It is any coincidence I'm seeing a few Pats on this list?

*All Pats players are highlighted in bold*

So you're saying you'd take Gronk at TE over Tony Gonzalez?

Really?

You lost all credibility right there.

Any CB's list that doesn't include the name Rod Woodson is irrelevant.

And you're taking Rodney Harrison over Troy Polamalu?!!?

You could have just saved us some time and just typed up a Pats all time team.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Can I play? I won't do all 53. I have some current players:

QB: Joe
WRs: Jerry Rice, Calvin Johnson
TE: Gonzo
RB: Faulk (scheme diverse)
FB: Doesn't matter. Can't even think of one.
OT: Roaf, W. Jones
C: Otto
OG: Allen, Matthews

DEs: Reggie & Bruce smith
DTs: JJ Watt & Cortez Kennedy
OLBs: LT & Derrick Brooks
MLB: Ray Lewis
CBs: Deion & Champ Bailey
SS: Ronnie Lott
FS: Sean Taylor

Sean Taylor's probably the one pick that raises eyebrows, but he has to be in the top 3 people of all time by whom I would not want to be hit.

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Big Ben = tough.

Brett Farve = tough.

How many qb sneaks does Ben have/. Who has more first downs than Brady? He isnt afraid of grabbing the 1 or 2 yards and getting piled on, dont remember Peyton doing that , Ben being injured and having conconscions on the field and on his mootorcycle isnt tough, its being dumb

Midnightangel

Troll slayer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many qb sneaks does Ben have/. Who has more first downs than Brady? He isnt afraid of grabbing the 1 or 2 yards and getting piled on, dont remember Peyton doing that , Ben being injured and having conconscions on the field and on his mootorcycle isnt tough, its being dumb

Not talking QB sneaks. I'm talking about when a defender gets close to him, he drops to the ground in a ball like a school girl.

While this prolongs his career, it's the exact opposite of 'tough'.