• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

100-mile Giles Is a Winner!

northeastphillyguy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are pitchers in the hall of fame that started out poorly in their first 2-3 years in MLB.

SU Nittany Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,096.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lollll. people going from not wanting to trade giles, to jocking velasquez, to jocking giles.

of course someone is aimlessly ranting about management too :crazy:

giles has a negative WAR with the astros in his 2 seasons there. 3-8, 9 blown saves, erratic. he's sporting a 9.00 postseason era/1.80 whip. he has the blazing fastball, but lacks quality elsewhere. that will always be exposed in the postseason.
There are a couple things here that aren't true. Giles was mediocre last year but had a very good 1.9 WAR this season. And to say all he has is a fastball means you've never watched him since he has a nasty slider.

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are a couple things here that aren't true. Giles was mediocre last year but had a very good 1.9 WAR this season. And to say all he has is a fastball means you've never watched him since he has a nasty slider.

:agree: The ESPN stats on Giles do indicate that Giles WAR was -.2 in 2016 and 0.0 In 2017 so technically _phillies_ may correct if those stats are real. Leaderboards results show + WAR for both years. The important thing is that Giles appeared in 63 games in 2017 and had a 2.30 ERA, mostly 1 inning appearances. That shows his high value, imo. Giles is still only 26 + 1 month and a will obviously improve with each appearance.

SU Nittany Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,096.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:agree: The ESPN stats on Giles do indicate that Giles WAR was -.2 in 2016 and 0.0 In 2017 so technically _phillies_ may correct if those stats are real. Leaderboards results show + WAR for both years. The important thing is that Giles appeared in 63 games in 2017 and had a 2.30 ERA, mostly 1 inning appearances. That shows his high value, imo. Giles is still only 26 + 1 month and a will obviously improve with each appearance.
I've always gone by baseball reference. Not sure I'd buy a system that gave him a 0 this season.

_phiLLies_

shut up baby, i know it
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
doesn't really matter, as giles success or failure isn't tied to the phils in any way. as soon as klentak took over i was hoping giles would be immediately dealt. it was time for a rebuilding process that would take several years, making the need for a legit closer worthless. regardless of the eventual trade return value, it was 100% the right move to deal him for a solid haul at the time.

stop with the "some hall of famers have struggled in their first few years" type nonsense though. it's what makes fans look stupid. it's not about struggling. it's about the tools you possess, your makeup, etc. that's like trying to pick out a hall of fame hitter who struggled early to match him up with tommy joseph. it's just.. no, stop. i'm tired of hearing that absurd bullshit in every sport from every fan base.

there's absolutely nothing at any angle you look at with velasquez that would trigger the thought of some random hall of famer from decades ago. he's going to be 26 years old this season. he hasn't been able to pitch a full season yet. he can't even make it past the 5th inning most nights. his overall numbers suck. he can't stay healthy. his makeup screams possible average to above average closer.

northeastphillyguy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
doesn't really matter, as giles success or failure isn't tied to the phils in any way. as soon as klentak took over i was hoping giles would be immediately dealt. it was time for a rebuilding process that would take several years, making the need for a legit closer worthless. regardless of the eventual trade return value, it was 100% the right move to deal him for a solid haul at the time.

stop with the "some hall of famers have struggled in their first few years" type nonsense though. it's what makes fans look stupid. it's not about struggling. it's about the tools you possess, your makeup, etc. that's like trying to pick out a hall of fame hitter who struggled early to match him up with tommy joseph. it's just.. no, stop. i'm tired of hearing that absurd bullshit in every sport from every fan base.

there's absolutely nothing at any angle you look at with velasquez that would trigger the thought of some random hall of famer from decades ago. he's going to be 26 years old this season. he hasn't been able to pitch a full season yet. he can't even make it past the 5th inning most nights. his overall numbers suck. he can't stay healthy. his makeup screams possible average to above average closer.
It seems that you are above all other posters. All other fan bases are talking bullshit. Ever feel alone in your
superiority? Sandy Koufax would have been converted to a reliever if you had your way. It took him 5 years
to reach his full potential. You have a closed mind concept that is annoying. Debating is great, but ignoring
all the facts is stupid.

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The stats I cited are relevant in showing how many pitcher progress from their earlier years. You weren't the first person to believe that a Giles trade would be best for the organization. Stop with your bullshit. You enjoy patting yourself on the back for your self proclaimed brilliant prognostications.

Most players are not born hall of farmers but a large number manage to provide their teams years of success on the field through hard work. What do you think of that shit, and why would it not apply to Vinnie? I'm dying for an answer. Have you called Klentak with your conclusions? Fans believe that a player like Velasquez has a great shot at being a successful starting pitcher. It's not like he's accomplished nothing at this point.

_phiLLies_

shut up baby, i know it
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
as a fan i'm only interested in winning and the future. pretending a player is better than what they are or hoping blindly for it is a complete waste of time.

i wanted velasquez traded at the 2016 deadline when his name was a little hot due to his age, contract and 3.32 pre all-star era. the phils held on.. and he posted a 5.33 era in the second half. i wanted velasquez in the closer role to start 2017. he posted a 5.13 era/1.50 whip and only pitched 72 innings as a starter.

now it's the upcoming 2018 season and he has no real value, no true role. STOP USING RANDOM HALL OF FAME PLAYERS AS SOME CRAZY, OUT OF THIS WORLD COMPARISON.

velasquez is a 25 (soon to be 26) year old who hasn't pitched a full season yet, is injury prone, has control issues, struggles to produce quick innings, has mediocre secondary shit and has shown very little overall in his career. the only thing that seperates him from YOUNGER pitchers like eflin, thompson, pivetta, etc. is that he can touch 100, which gives him a more productive chance out of the pen.

stop fucking acting like he's some superstar waiting to blossom. it's almost as bad as the "ruined darin ruf" shit or not wanting to trade brown for bautista because brown was having a hot 6 week stretch.

"fans believe." lmao, i guess.. the ones who love his tats.

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
as a fan i'm only interested in winning and the future. pretending a player is better than what they are or hoping blindly for it is a complete waste of time.

i wanted velasquez traded at the 2016 deadline when his name was a little hot due to his age, contract and 3.32 pre all-star era. the phils held on.. and he posted a 5.33 era in the second half. i wanted velasquez in the closer role to start 2017. he posted a 5.13 era/1.50 whip and only pitched 72 innings as a starter.

now it's the upcoming 2018 season and he has no real value, no true role. STOP USING RANDOM HALL OF FAME PLAYERS AS SOME CRAZY, OUT OF THIS WORLD COMPARISON.

velasquez is a 25 (soon to be 26) year old who hasn't pitched a full season yet, is injury prone, has control issues, struggles to produce quick innings, has mediocre secondary shit and has shown very little overall in his career. the only thing that seperates him from YOUNGER pitchers like eflin, thompson, pivetta, etc. is that he can touch 100, which gives him a more productive chance out of the pen.

stop fucking acting like he's some superstar waiting to blossom. it's almost as bad as the "ruined darin ruf" shit or not wanting to trade brown for bautista because brown was having a hot 6 week stretch.

Same old rant. You know better than anyone else. You were first (bs). You still have not stated why Vinnie will not improve. He's 25 and that's it??? He's done? Using HOF'ers as examples is just trying to show how certain players can develop after seeming to be washed up early with struggles. The fact that your mind is closed to player development tells me you are delusional or maybe you had a run-in with Velasquez and he rebuffed you when you asked for his autograph. :pound: Vinnie! Vinnie!

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, I was only having some fun at Northeast's expense. Sorry dudes. I don't bother with the individual you refer to in the last series of posts.

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Go Vinnie!
Vinnie2.jpg

_phiLLies_

shut up baby, i know it
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
giles blows the 5-3 lead. shocking. :bored2:

i shouldn't be speaking about this though, as i clearly have no knowledge of the game or its players. dennis eckersley blew a game or something back in the 80s.. and that has everything to do with giles today.. so, yeah :rolleyes2:

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
giles blows the 5-3 lead. shocking. :bored2:

i shouldn't be speaking about this though, as i clearly have no knowledge of the game or its players. dennis eckersley blew a game or something back in the 80s.. and that has everything to do with giles today.. so, yeah :rolleyes2:

Giles fittingly looked extremely shell shocked in the dugout. Still, his 34 saves did help the Astros reach the WS. He'll get the ball again. You can count on it.

northeastphillyguy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giles fittingly looked extremely shell shocked in the dugout. Still, his 34 saves did help the Astros reach the WS. He'll get the ball again. You can count on it.
Heard Phil Lies ordered a Giles jersey!

_phiLLies_

shut up baby, i know it
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i don't understand why fans feel you "hate" a player when you present their flaws. he's not a top tier closer and we traded him at his peak, which is something i always love.

i liked him while he was here and i am rooting for the astros in the playoffs. it's like, if you want to say guys like him and velasquez are super good and people just have to be patient.. then fine. but stop trying to debate and argue it though while they fail at their job. it's idiotic. can't say that enough.