• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

10,000 Posts for a Flyers Cup in 2019

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hate when that happens. Since you took the time to write all of that out i will make a comment on the contract figures. One figure stuck out to me and it was the 7 million JVR is getting. A healthy Simmonds is a better all around player than JVR and quite possibly a better offensive player than JVR. So my question is why did you go to all this trouble to make a case that Simmonds will be preventing us from keeping Frost, Ratcliffe, O'Brien, and Farabee and not make a case that JVR would be preventing us from keeping them.

Mostly timing honestly. JvR's contract was up sooner. The opportunity to have his contract start was a year sooner. And they signed JvR to a 5 year deal. So the equivalent, in terms of risk to keeping the prospects, Simmonds contract would be a 4 year deal.

I'm also not ready to say Simmonds is better than JvR overall. I think Simmonds is more responsible defensively, but JvR IMO is the better offensive player. Especially at 5 on 5. Simmonds' best 5 on 5 goal output was 19 goals, 3 seasons ago. JvR had 25 last year and 23 the year before, compared to Simmonds' 13 and 12. If you go to advanced stats the gap widens even further, JvR has been a play driving machine at 5 on 5 the past 3 seasons, even relative to his teammates. Simmonds is barely even from a play driving perspective. I'd probably give the PP edge to Simmonds, he's phenomenal there. But through no fault of his own, that's not as important. If there's anything the Flyers PP has proven over the past 4-5 years, it's that Giroux, Voracek, and Ghost will probably make anyone productive on the PP. Particularly Giroux. Hartnell, Schenn, Couturier, Simmonds, Patrick, it doesn't seem to matter. Simmonds obviously has the grit and leadership edge, but I'm also more concerned about Simmonds' decline than JvR's because of the way they play. Plus Simmonds will be 31 when his next contract starts, JvR will only be 29 when his starts.

It's certainly a worthwhile argument though, and one I would think Hextall and Co. had. Signing JvR makes the Simmonds contract much more delicate.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mostly timing honestly. JvR's contract was up sooner. The opportunity to have his contract start was a year sooner. And they signed JvR to a 5 year deal. So the equivalent, in terms of risk to keeping the prospects, Simmonds contract would be a 4 year deal.

I'm also not ready to say Simmonds is better than JvR overall. I think Simmonds is more responsible defensively, but JvR IMO is the better offensive player. Especially at 5 on 5. Simmonds' best 5 on 5 goal output was 19 goals, 3 seasons ago. JvR had 25 last year and 23 the year before, compared to Simmonds' 13 and 12. If you go to advanced stats the gap widens even further, JvR has been a play driving machine at 5 on 5 the past 3 seasons, even relative to his teammates. Simmonds is barely even from a play driving perspective. I'd probably give the PP edge to Simmonds, he's phenomenal there. But through no fault of his own, that's not as important. If there's anything the Flyers PP has proven over the past 4-5 years, it's that Giroux, Voracek, and Ghost will probably make anyone productive on the PP. Particularly Giroux. Hartnell, Schenn, Couturier, Simmonds, Patrick, it doesn't seem to matter. Simmonds obviously has the grit and leadership edge, but I'm also more concerned about Simmonds' decline than JvR's because of the way they play. Plus Simmonds will be 31 when his next contract starts, JvR will only be 29 when his starts.

It's certainly a worthwhile argument though, and one I would think Hextall and Co. had. Signing JvR makes the Simmonds contract much more delicate.
IMO a healthy Wayne Simmonds is by far the superior all around player compared JVR. I think a healthy Simmers leadership alone to this team is very valuable to go along with his on ice play. I do however like the offensive stats you came up with but a healthy Simmonds plays on the top PP while JVR will be 2nd unit giving Simmonds more of an opportunity to score and get points which is offense no matter who you play with you still have to get the points.:suds:

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO a healthy Wayne Simmonds is by far the superior all around player compared JVR. I think a healthy Simmers leadership alone to this team is very valuable to go along with his on ice play. I do however like the offensive stats you came up with but a healthy Simmonds plays on the top PP while JVR will be 2nd unit giving Simmonds more of an opportunity to score and get points which is offense no matter who you play with you still have to get the points.:suds:

I agree, those points are points. EV strength point counts the same as a PP point at the end of the day. I'm just saying I think the Flyers have guys they could plug in to Simmonds' spot on the PP that can replicate his success there. Patrick showed a glimmer of that last season. Though honestly, looking at the numbers, the Flyers 5on5 goal production was pretty solid last year too.

And the leadership thing can't be questioned. That's why I want Simmonds on the team the whole season this year and don't want to sell him at the TDL if a contract doesn't look like it's going to happen. I think the 3-4 months of Simmonds' leadership at the end of this season and in the playofs is more valuable than what they'd get for him.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, those points are points. EV strength point counts the same as a PP point at the end of the day. I'm just saying I think the Flyers have guys they could plug in to Simmonds' spot on the PP that can replicate his success there. Patrick showed a glimmer of that last season. Though honestly, looking at the numbers, the Flyers 5on5 goal production was pretty solid last year too.

And the leadership thing can't be questioned. That's why I want Simmonds on the team the whole season this year and don't want to sell him at the TDL if a contract doesn't look like it's going to happen. I think the 3-4 months of Simmonds' leadership at the end of this season and in the playofs is more valuable than what they'd get for him.
Its already August i cant wait until the season gets going and we can worry about wins and losses instead of contracts.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its already August i cant wait until the season gets going and we can worry about wins and losses instead of contracts.

Amen to that! :suds:

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im always ready to talk about that.Hopefully any and all their moves turnout to be the wrongs ones especially Jack Johnson.
Never been impressed with Johnson, hope he continues that trend. I always thought he was lazy.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Farabee over Hart? This guy Steve Kournianos must've had too much ouzo.:cocktail:

"The only thing that bumped the Flyers from the top spot was Rasmus Dahlin going to Buffalo. Flyers essentially can assemble two prospect all-star teams and their B-team beats the rest of the league's A-Teams" - Kournianos

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"The only thing that bumped the Flyers from the top spot was Rasmus Dahlin going to Buffalo. Flyers essentially can assemble two prospect all-star teams and their B-team beats the rest of the league's A-Teams" - Kournianos
Well I say we start this season for a cup run and add some of these futures stars asap and rule the universe.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I say we start this season for a cup run and add some of these futures stars asap and rule the universe.
I will agree. Having the best minor league team isn't winning us any major cups so until then we are just waiting for all this potential to pay off.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will agree. Having the best minor league team isn't winning us any major cups so until then we are just waiting for all this potential to pay off.
Well I'm hoping in the next 2 yrs most of these studs will be filling out our roster from line-A to line-D and we will be on our second cup run.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't there a 2nd Russian dude that should be on our list. I thought we had another guy that was better than Rubstov.

Vorobyev. Not sure I’d put either in my top 10, but definitely 11-20.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3