• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

#1 Item I want to see improvement on: O LINE

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I listed a litany of what I perceived to be wrong in the BYU game somewhere on the SportsHoopla.

In the BYU game thread there is more observations from others. For me, the BYU game is history, on to South Alabama.

The #1 thing I want improvement on is the Offensive Line. Several problems can be fixed by this. Someone HAS to be better than the way Chongo Kondolo played.

It looks like Riley and Cavanaugh and Langsdorf tried to convert the run offense into a pass offense, and they just realized that it just does not happen in the first game. Flashback to 2004.

I am sure the O Line was trying to do exactly as they were coached, but in a real game, a few things were exposed.

If Tommy Armstrong continues to run for his life, then nothing was corrected.

If the rush offense just turns out to be offensive, then nothing was corrected.

If the offensive line continues to have dumb penalties, which seems to be the norm instead of an aberration anymore, then nothing has been corrected.

If Tommy Armstrong continues to go through his progressions, even though there is 10 yards of open field in front of him and the nearest defender is 5 yards away, and gets called for Intentional Grounding, then nothing has been corrected.

Tommy Armstrong threw for over 300 yards, 3 TDs, and 1 INT. Great. Woo hoo. Nebraska still lost, and there is so much wrong on offense, defense, and special teams.

tometom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,219.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i agree. o-line improvement is what will win games this year. i think we have a capable D that can keep us in games, but without the O we aren't going to win. and the O starts with the line, both run and pass blocking. When Tommy had time, he hit receivers, when he was pressured he didnt. and we know longer have AA back there making our o-line look decent. Here was a picture that explains it all:

1734187.jpg

big hole there to the left, i believe this was Newby, who failed to see it and ran into the guy on the ground for a 1yd gain. AA would have bounced that to the left and shot through that whole.

here's another screen cap of our o-line just getting smoked (maybe a good back could have gotten away to the bottom, but instead this was a loss. :
1734184.jpg

and here is another one (both Lewis and Reeves both smoked and at the top, i see a loose BYU guy and 3 linemen all going past him to the 2nd level):
1734181.jpg

iruletheskool

iruleiskool
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
99% of that crap was on the RB's

not a single danged one of them have any vision

HuskerPower52

The Dirty sponge
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I sent we got our shit pushed in

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HATERS!!!!!

corn train

Have some of it
Hoopla Cash
$ 76,445.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rob Zatechka did a podcast with some real good and encouraging insight on the Oline and the game in general

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
99% of that crap was on the RB's

not a single danged one of them have any vision

If I was making the calls, Newby would be 3rd on the depth chart. Kid needs to man up. He has a crazy skill set and refuses to use it.

Wilbon has the best vision, he just hesitates a little too much.....which is expected from a Freshman. Insane upside with this kid.

Imani is a tank and I'm concerned that maybe there isn't even any thoughts going through his head at all. Like literally it's just the sound of white noise in his head when he has the ball.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bottom line is this.....

Ameer Abdullah made our Offensive Line look 1,000 times better than it was......and it wasn't even good. He was just awesome.

Ameer is going to excel in the NFL. You just watch.

HuskerInSecLand

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have to remember too, this line is young. I think I heard there was 15 starts on the line and 13 of them to Lewis and the other two are to two different players.

JJM is right too, rbs were watching holes open and close in the first half. I expect both to improve with play.

and more kool-aid ya haters

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No sir, haters will call everything bad.

Realists will call what's bad, bad.

Optimists will say things can be fixed.

I will say we're going to win the Big 10.

IF tOSU can play for the natty after losing to VT last year...we damn sure can after losing to the mormons.

corn train

Have some of it
Hoopla Cash
$ 76,445.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have to remember too, this line is young. I think I heard there was 15 starts on the line and 13 of them to Lewis and the other two are to two different players.

JJM is right too, rbs were watching holes open and close in the first half. I expect both to improve with play.

and more kool-aid ya haters

Lewis is two different players all by hisself depending what quarter it is

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going to try to rewatch the game tonight because I haven't gotten a chance to, but like has been mentioned a few times on here, Damon Benning said that the majority of the running game woes was on the backs not on the o line.

iruletheskool

iruleiskool
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going to try to rewatch the game tonight because I haven't gotten a chance to, but like has been mentioned a few times on here, Damon Benning said that the majority of the running game woes was on the backs not on the o line.

Why reference Damond Benning when I stated this very thing a few posts up?

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Why reference Damond Benning when I stated this very thing a few posts up?
I threw you a mention...figured you'd like the backup :dance:

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Social Event Weekend. Nebraska is undefeated on this weekend in the past, hopefully that continues.

I prepped my blueberry cheesecake with Golden Oreo Crust(individual serving cups) last night and marinated the chicken in Buttermilk. Today, I fry up the chicken and put it on a stick, and then I make Fried Goat Cheese Balls. I just iced down the drinks so they get to be cool(hopefully cold).

Normally, I have a pretty good hangover after this. But.

Tomorrow, my wife has volunteered me for a high school event to be the cook. Oh Joy.

On top of that, the college son came home(I had to go pick him up) and the high school son is taking the official ACT test today.

The only football I will know about is via the internet.