• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Yankees Next SS DiDi Gregorius

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In this trade The tigers got the better end on the deal!

I hate the Yankees but I also hate to see them not be the normal Yankees. I hope this off-season they can find something to help out their team!

You don't build for the long term through FAs. You build through the farm system, and to a lessor extent, trades (which is directly linked to the farm system, either by selling off prospects or buying them).

For the Spanks to be a powerhouse again, they need to keep this in mind. I don't follow them or the AL East enough to claim I know what the exact proper strategy for them would be, but making splashes is generally NOT the right path to take, unless you are on the cusp of contending.

jete02fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
damn..DRob heading to Chi-town...i wish him luck..looking forward to 7/31..

jete02fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
another offseason that again will reshape the ALE...

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Derek Jeter hadn't been "Derek Jeter" in terms of production for years, save for 2012 when his numbers were at least in line with his career averages. However, his defense negated a lot of that value added with the bat.

It'll be weird seeing a shortstop in NY that can play defense.

And... funny how they replace a gay player with another gay player. What kind of name is DiDi anyway??

fp_image_4040884_fp_set_4036919203228-500x380.jpg

(too soon?)

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Considering you don't even know the names of the players involved, I'm not sure I'm going to put much stock in your evaluation. How do you know Greene is the best player? Based on 78 innings in a lost season, where he only got a shot because he was the 9th option to start? When he wasn't even considered one of the Yankees' top prospects coming into 2014?

Gregorious was a top prospect in the Reds system a few years ago, had a perfectly fine season with the bat in 2013, is excellent defensively, and is only 24 (25 when the season starts). The Yanks dealt from an area of depth to fill an area of need. That's what you try to do in baseball.

I see this type of comment everywhere. It screams "I don't understand how baseball works". You like him as a set-up man but not the closer? Great. Set-up men are generally more valuable and important than closers. That said, Robertson did just fine in the meaningless closer role. He actually did as well as Mo did in 1997.

Why? He had an OPS+ of 94 in 2013, which is perfectly fine for a shortstop, especially one with his glove. And his OPS+ was better than Jeter's last year.

He actually understands the game, follows the entire league, and has probably forgotten more baseball than you'll ever know.

Anyone who thinks Gregorius is a "terrible hitter" based on half a season in 2014, while ignoring that he had a perfectly fine offensive season in 2013 is a total rube.

Welcome back Smarther...

GoreRush

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Cashman's advice to Didi Gregorious is "don't try to be Derek Jeter."

Didi Gregorious is lucky to even be issued a Yankees uniform. Didi failed at Arizona. they sent him down. he will be lucky to end the season at Trenton. Cashmoney didn't hire him to be the next Jeter. he isn't even the next alvaro epinoza.

I don't think the next jeter has been acquired yet.