• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Yankees closer suspended 30 games

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aroldis Chapman banned 30 games under MLB domestic violence policy
4:02 pm

New York Yankees closer Aroldis Chapman has been suspended 30 games by commissioner Rob Manfred under Major League Baseball's new domestic violence policy for his involvement in an alleged incident last October.

He will not appeal.

"Today, I accepted a 30 game suspension from Major League Baseball resulting from my actions on October 30, 2015," Chapman said in a statement. "I want to be clear, I did not in any way harm my girlfriend that evening. However, I should have exercised better judgment with respect to certain actions, and for that I am sorry. The decision to accept a suspension, as opposed to appealing one, was made after careful consideration. I made this decision in an effort to minimize the distractions that an appeal would cause the Yankees, my new teammates and most importantly, my family. I have learned from this matter, and I look forward to being part of the Yankees' quest for a 28th World Series title. Out of respect for my teammates and my family, I will have no further comment."

The Cuban-born lefty, acquired by the Yankees in January from the Cincinnati Reds in exchange for four minor leaguers, was under investigation for an incident at his home on Oct. 30, when he is alleged to have choked his girlfriend after an argument that began after she "found something on his phone that she did not like," according to a police report obtained by ESPN.

Chapman told police that he poked the woman on the shoulder and she fell to the ground. According to the police report, after family members broke up the altercation, Chapman said he went into his car, punched the passenger side window and suffered a laceration on his finger. He also acknowledged firing eight shots from a handgun in his garage during the incident.

Citing a lack of sufficient evidence, conflicting stories and failure of witnesses to cooperate, the Davie (Fla.) Police Department did not charge Chapman and said the investigation was closed pending any new evidence. However, the Broward State Attorney's office said that decision was based on a preliminary, informal phone conversation and it requested reports so it could review the matter further.

The state's attorney announced on Jan. 21 that no charges would be filed against Chapman. Chapman has twice left Yankees camp this week with permission to attend to "personal matters."

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Makes sense for Chapman. Only missing appearing in maybe 12-15 games, and he still has a chance to be eligible to be a free agent next offseason.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell, what situation would the Yankees rather have (ignoring morality):
A. Give up a huge package and get Chapman for the whole season
B. Give up a moderate package for Chapman and have him be suspended for 30 days

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ouch:suds:

Aroldis Chapman - R - Yankees
MLB has suspended Aroldis Chapman for 30 games under their domestic violence policy, according to Billy Witz of the New York Times.

He won't appeal the ruling. Chapman had the police called to his house in Davie, Florida back in October after allegedly choking his girlfriend and firing off eight gunshots in his garage. No charges were filed, but MLB commissioner Rob Manfred still had the ability to levy a punishment. Chapman will lose approximately $1.7 million in salary and will be eligible to return May 9 against the Royals.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imagine the outrage if he was on the Red Sox.

But what is up with athletes these days..? roid rage, being idiots, etc? What gives? Seems like every day we have another player being suspended in some league for something like this

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Today, I accepted a 30 game suspension from Major League Baseball resulting from my actions on October 30, 2015. I want to be clear, I did not in any way harm my girlfriend that evening. However, I should have exercised better judgment with respect to my actions, and for that I am sorry. The decision to accept a suspension, as opposed to appealing one, was made after careful consideration. I made this decision in an effort to minimize the distractions that an appeal would cause the Yankees, my new teammates and most importantly, my family. I have learned from this matter, and I look forward to being part of the Yankees’ quest for a 28th World Series title. Out of respect for my teammates and my family, I will have no further comment."

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baseball commissioner Rob Manfred also released a statement explaining why he opted to give Chapman a 30-game suspension.

“I asked my staff to conduct a comprehensive investigation of the incident involving Aroldis Chapman on October 30, 2015. Much of the information regarding the incident has been made public through documents released by law enforcement. Mr. Chapman submitted to an in-person interview with counsel present. After reviewing the staff report, I found Mr. Chapman’s acknowledged conduct on that day to be inappropriate under the negotiated Policy, particularly his use of a firearm and the impact of that behavior on his partner. I am gratified that Mr. Chapman has taken responsibility for his conduct, that he has agreed not to appeal the 30-game suspension, and that he has agreed to comply with the confidential directives of the Joint Policy Board established under the parties’ Policy to ensure that a similar incident does not occur in the future.”

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When the trade was made they were talking as much as 90 days. So I guess 30 isn't that bad.

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
fuck the Yankees

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When the trade was made they were talking as much as 90 days. So I guess 30 isn't that bad.

Not like it will really matter, he will only miss like what 14% of the games since he is a closer... and they don't pitch all the time. So this worked out pretty well (if anything) for the Yankees

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not like it will really matter, he will only miss like what 14% of the games since he is a closer... and they don't pitch all the time. So this worked out pretty well (if anything) for the Yankees
plus they saved 1.7 mil:suds:

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another Yankee that can't follow the rules. Steroids, DV, pine tar, you name it. The rich tradition continues.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Chapman made a mistake.

I highly doubt random firearm use is in the DV policy.

Looks like the MLBPA caught the stupid gene all the other sports unions have.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imagine the outrage if he was on the Red Sox.

But what is up with athletes these days..? roid rage, being idiots, etc? What gives? Seems like every day we have another player being suspended in some league for something like this

Are you insinuating that the Red Sox are more hated then the Yankees?

We don't hate the Red Sox. We hate Red Sox FANS. :suds: