• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Yankee Stadium

nynasty

nynasty
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,181.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These are my exact thoughts.....The old place rocked, the crowd could be heard every big moment and now the seats are scaled back further from the field next to the shopping mall they put in.....

I thought this past post-season was the closest it's ever felt to the old place, but it's still not the same.

I was at the 1st wildcard playoff against the M's in '95. When Mattingly hit the HR, I really thought there was a chance the building was going to collapse. The stadium was actually moving and swaying under our feet.

PEOPLESCHICKEN

Dysfunctional Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read somewhere that Mantle had a hidden spot somewhere in Yankee where he could give it to a baseball Annie and still watch the game.
There is also another great story claiming that one of the Mick's many leg injuries came from an incident where he and Billy Martin were playing chicken with golf carts on a course and Mantle fell out, only to have Billy run him clean over.

Then there is the one about Jackie Jensen retiring from the Red Sox before the 1960 season because Ted Williams always heated up his smelly fish in the team microwave and made Jackie vomit. Jensen came back in '61, but retired again due to extreme embarrassment from not being able to spell Yazsztrzezszmzszki properly.
Ok, I call bullshit on the Ted Williams story. Some historical inaccuracies. Heating fish in a microwave in 1960? C'mon Ted didn't eat fish

nynasty

nynasty
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,181.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read somewhere that Mantle had a hidden spot somewhere in Yankee where he could give it to a baseball Annie and still watch the game.
There is also another great story claiming that one of the Mick's many leg injuries came from an incident where he and Billy Martin were playing chicken with golf carts on a course and Mantle fell out, only to have Billy run him clean over.

Then there is the one about Jackie Jensen retiring from the Red Sox before the 1960 season because Ted Williams always heated up his smelly fish in the team microwave and made Jackie vomit. Jensen came back in '61, but retired again due to extreme embarrassment from not being able to spell Yazsztrzezszmzszki properly.

Mickey Mantle's Outstanding Event At Yankee Stadium

:pound:

Indrid Cold

Member In Black
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, I call bullshit on the Ted Williams story. Some historical inaccuracies. Heating fish in a microwave in 1960? C'mon Ted didn't eat fish
OK, you got me...Ted only used fish for "personal pleasure". He only got married to women who smelled similar to an Atlantic salmon.
He did invent the microwave oven, though...he stole the radar out of the F9F Panther he crashed in Korea and used it to give cancer to Boston sportswriters. One day he noticed that his corned beef sandwich was also nice and warm and he then made billions with Sears.
Strange but true!

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, you got me...Ted only used fish for "personal pleasure". He only got married to women who smelled similar to an Atlantic salmon.
He did invent the microwave oven, though...he stole the radar out of the F9F Panther he crashed in Korea and used it to give cancer to Boston sportswriters. One day he noticed that his corned beef sandwich was also nice and warm and he then made billions with Sears.
Strange but true!

But weren't those sportswriters already cancerous?

PEOPLESCHICKEN

Dysfunctional Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Strange but true!
Ok see that I can believe

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Strange but true!
Then there was the tsantsaist witchdoctor from a lost Peruvian rain forest tribe that wanted to shrink Ted's head in a microwave.

Indrid Cold

Member In Black
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought this past post-season was the closest it's ever felt to the old place, but it's still not the same.
I was at the 1st wildcard playoff against the M's in '95. When Mattingly hit the HR, I really thought there was a chance the building was going to collapse. The stadium was actually moving and swaying under our feet.
Donnie Baseball!
I liked watching him hit, he had a style all his own.
It's strange to me how he went from being absolutely lionized by sportswriters (whom I thought generally overrated him a bit) to being almost forgotten as a player due to his bad back. I would imagine a great many fans these days only think of him as a manager. Was it all Bob Shirley's fault? Rumors were the two were wrestling in the clubhouse...
There was a hilarious story about Mattingly not realizing Babe Ruth had been an actual player...he said he thought he was just a cartoon character! Babe's story can be hard to believe...