• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Yankee Stadium

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL

He actually hit the HR with one of Mickey Rivers' bats.

I think it was Mickey Rivers' bat

Years later, during an interview, Mickey quipped that Dent hit that homer with a corked bat. When asked by the reporter how he knew that he said; "because it was my bat"

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the few advantages the Mets have over the Yankees is their stadium. Citi >>> Yankee

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The whole thing was a fucking travesty.

They tore down a mecca of baseball, a great Pyramid of sports history and for what? A cheap soulless replica born out of greed?

A deep dark part of me wishes for the demise of baseball.

I thought they should have played at Shea for a year or two and renovated the old stadium and then tore down Shea. Probably not enough parking for both teams to play there but they could have tweaked the schedule to have both home as few times as possible

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The whole thing was a fucking travesty.

They tore down a mecca of baseball, a great Pyramid of sports history and for what? A cheap soulless replica born out of greed?

A deep dark part of me wishes for the demise of baseball.

Whoa, whoa there, Lord Byron...get a grip mang

Pure Steel

Hoopla Cash
$ 402.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the few advantages the Mets have over the Yankees is their stadium. Citi >>> Yankee
Agree and the Mets only need about a dozen people working each game......

Pure Steel

Hoopla Cash
$ 402.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It'll never be the same. In the old place there was 5000 more seats, the bleachers were closer to the field and the upper deck hung over the field so there's only a fraction of the noise in the new place.
These are my exact thoughts.....The old place rocked, the crowd could be heard every big moment and now the seats are scaled back further from the field next to the shopping mall they put in.....

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These are my exact thoughts.....The old place rocked, the crowd could be heard every big moment and now the seats are scaled back further from the field next to the shopping mall they put in.....

I had a season ticket plan in the late 90's to 2007. Went to plenty of World Series games including all 3 against Arizona. I also went to game a game in each round of 2009. The difference is amazing. If the old stadium so structurally unsound fine, they should have copied it for the new one. And that sports bar out in right field is an atrocity and ruined monument park.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yup and that really cool bar used to be right across from the Bleacher entrance

PEOPLESCHICKEN

Dysfunctional Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol, the church they used is in my neighborhood in Brooklyn.

GPT002-2.jpg
That's awesome!

PEOPLESCHICKEN

Dysfunctional Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had a season ticket plan in the late 90's to 2007. Went to plenty of World Series games including all 3 against Arizona. I also went to game a game in each round of 2009. The difference is amazing. If the old stadium so structurally unsound fine, they should have copied it for the new one. And that sports bar out in right field is an atrocity and ruined monument park.

I bet Mickey Mantle likes it

Indrid Cold

Member In Black
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Years later, during an interview, Mickey quipped that Dent hit that homer with a corked bat. When asked by the reporter how he knew that he said; "because it was my bat"
I think it was a big thing in the '70s to put superballs in bats. Sometimes they would grind up the superballs and then compress them when putting the plug in the bat.
I know I read a story about Graig Nettles breaking his bat on a flyout and superballs bouncing around everywhere because the plug came out. The catcher grabbed a bunch of them and showed them to the umpire as proof that Nettles was cheating...the umpire just said he was out for using an illegal bat, but he was out anyway.
Of course, Nettles could have also been suspended or fined by the commissioner for cheating, but I don't know if I buy the story, anyway. Kind of like the stories about Steve Dalkowski facing Ted Williams in spring training when Dalko didn't even pitch in one until 1963 and Splinter had been retired for a few years (the action gets moved to a batting cage when that is brought up)...doesn't quite pass the smell test.

PEOPLESCHICKEN

Dysfunctional Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it was a big thing in the '70s to put superballs in bats. Sometimes they would grind up the superballs and then compress them when putting the plug in the bat.
I know I read a story about Graig Nettles breaking his bat on a flyout and superballs bouncing around everywhere because the plug came out. The catcher grabbed a bunch of them and showed them to the umpire as proof that Nettles was cheating...the umpire just said he was out for using an illegal bat, but he was out anyway.
Of course, Nettles could have also been suspended or fined by the commissioner for cheating, but I don't know if I buy the story, anyway. Kind of like the stories about Steve Dalkowski facing Ted Williams in spring training when Dalko didn't even pitch in one until 1963 and Splinter had been retired for a few years (the action gets moved to a batting cage when that is brought up)...doesn't quite pass the smell test.
Thats the quirky thing about baseball. The stories!

Some are just so unbelievable like that time Jason Gimsley climbed through the ceiling to replace Albert Bell's bat. Or that time Pedroia and Trot Nixon gave Rex a handy during a rain delay

Indrid Cold

Member In Black
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats the quirky thing about baseball. The stories!
Some are just so unbelievable like that time Jason Gimsley climbed through the ceiling to replace Albert Bell's bat. Or that time Pedroia and Trot Nixon gave Rex a handy during a rain delay
I read somewhere that Mantle had a hidden spot somewhere in Yankee where he could give it to a baseball Annie and still watch the game.
There is also another great story claiming that one of the Mick's many leg injuries came from an incident where he and Billy Martin were playing chicken with golf carts on a course and Mantle fell out, only to have Billy run him clean over.

Then there is the one about Jackie Jensen retiring from the Red Sox before the 1960 season because Ted Williams always heated up his smelly fish in the team microwave and made Jackie vomit. Jensen came back in '61, but retired again due to extreme embarrassment from not being able to spell Yazsztrzezszmzszki properly.