• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ya know what drives me nuts?

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been watching hockey and love the sport except for one thing.

When a player gets railed by a good check the other players congregate around him to start a fight. This happens esp if it's a star player. My question is why?

Hockey fans love to talk about how tough the sport is but seem to condone when a good hit is applied that it's OK when others start to fight over it.

In the NFL when a QB gets blasted on a sack it is treated like part of the play and the game moves on.

Is the NHL pussyfied or what.? You can not claim to be a tough ass sport if a players gets blasted by a clean check and the other players feel compelled to start a fight over this.

Is this a tough game or what? I could never figure this out.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This drives me nuts.

Jumpy_Nut_Car.jpg

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
mr_peanut_4.jpg

I think it slows down the game as well. I have heard commentators complain about this being the way it is now too. I have to say I have only been watching for 14 years now and it seems to me that its been the same the whole time.

It would be nice to see clean hits get responded to with clean hits instead of a melee but I dont see it changing.

I even think a lot of fans like the way it is currently when one of their players is laid out by a clean hit.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It didn't used to be that way at all...A guy delivers a big clean hit, you took his number and tried to hit him later in the game. I'm not exactly sure when this changed, but like a lot of things, I blame Bettman...

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It didn't used to be that way at all...A guy delivers a big clean hit, you took his number and tried to hit him later in the game. I'm not exactly sure when this changed, but like a lot of things, I blame Bettman...

Dont blame Bettman its been going on well before his time. I just don't understand the logic behind it. If a player gets laid out by a great check so be it, when Connolly got blasted by Shaefer {sp} in Ottawa a couple years ago I said he got what he deserved coming through to middle with his head down. So what, it's part of the so called tough game and in my opinion it pussyfies the game when there is a big deal about it.

Is this hockey or don't touch my sister?

JMO.

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's almost like when dumbass Umberger got laid out on a good clean check by Campbell. He being Umberger spent more time trying to get revenge while the Sabres were laughing and winning the series.

Hey RJ, Try scoring some goals instead of try to pay back Campbell for a good check and your team may have won the series IDIOT!!

beantownmaniac

I thought growing old would take longer
Hoopla Cash
$ 304.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been watching hockey and love the sport except for one thing.

When a player gets railed by a good check the other players congregate around him to start a fight. This happens esp if it's a star player. My question is why?

Hockey fans love to talk about how tough the sport is but seem to condone when a good hit is applied that it's OK when others start to fight over it.

In the NFL when a QB gets blasted on a sack it is treated like part of the play and the game moves on.

Is the NHL pussyfied or what.? You can not claim to be a tough ass sport if a players gets blasted by a clean check and the other players feel compelled to start a fight over this.

Is this a tough game or what? I could never figure this out.

I think it might be the other team saying don't slam our star player. I you don't get the message, they'll start nailing your star player. I can't think of any other reason :confused:

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it might be the other team saying don't slam our star player. I you don't get the message, they'll start nailing your star player. I can't think of any other reason :confused:

Umberger is a star player? I disagree and to me it makes what should be a hard hitting tough sport look like crap.

Dash is right, I'm fired up tonight! :D

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
out of metamucil

No, feed up with watching the game my mom introduced me to turn into a fucking pussy fest. It's hockey! people get hit and hit hard if they don't like it try Disney on ice or something.

naslundfan19

Boredom Savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pirate walks into a bar with a steering wheel in his pants. Bartender asks "Why is there a steering wheel in your pants?" Pirate answers "Argh, it drives me nuts!"

Sorry, Boss. saw the thread title and thought of that joke.:) Carry on.

Bizzle McDizzle

all of your teams suck
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pirate walks into a bar with a steering wheel in his pants. Bartender asks "Why is there a steering wheel in your pants?" Pirate answers "Argh, it drives me nuts!"

Sorry, Boss. saw the thread title and thought of that joke.:) Carry on.

No idea why it had to be a pirate in that joke...

but still funny. :D

beantownmaniac

I thought growing old would take longer
Hoopla Cash
$ 304.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Umberger is a star player? I disagree and to me it makes what should be a hard hitting tough sport look like crap.

Dash is right, I'm fired up tonight! :D

I think hard hitters should take care of business themselves when they take a good hit

BlueandWhiteForever

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Totally agree. Personally I think people like Don Cherry and his "On ice code" bullshit has gotten into some of the younger players' heads. If someone takes even a mild bodycheck, it always has to end in a war on the ice. It's even worse if it happens to be a star player that gets it. If someone like Crosby happens to be in the trolly tracks and gets nailed, the hitter is guaranteed to get tackled by a juvenile three player death squad.

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Totally agree. Personally I think people like Don Cherry and his "On ice code" bullshit has gotten into some of the younger players' heads. If someone takes even a mild bodycheck, it always has to end in a war on the ice. It's even worse if it happens to be a star player that gets it. If someone like Crosby happens to be in the trolly tracks and gets nailed, the hitter is guaranteed to get tackled by a juvenile three player death squad.

Thank You Blue. Rep for you my friend. Damn! A Sabres fan and Leafs fan agree on something !!:D

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's almost like when dumbass Umberger got laid out on a good clean check by Campbell. He being Umberger spent more time trying to get revenge while the Sabres were laughing and winning the series.

Hey RJ, Try scoring some goals instead of try to pay back Campbell for a good check and your team may have won the series IDIOT!!

Yup. Same thing when Kronwall leveled Havlat in '09. Almost the same exact hit, except Havlat and Kronwall weren't going full bore like Soup and Umberger were... also Havlat looked at Kronwall coming and put his head back down before he got smoked. Sure enough, the next day in the papers Campbell was calling it a cheap dirty hit and whining to the media. Fucking hypocritical if you ask me.

If you think Kronwall's hit was so bad, then go lay Kronwall out. I'm sure there are plenty of Kronner's victims that would give you a pat on the back for it.