• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Wow....what to think of these Reds....

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the risk of sounding egotistical and racially biased, I'll make a statement about managers in general, and Dusty Baker in particular; a manager is all about perception, because most fans and some GM's don't know what to evaluate beyond the gate receipts and the W-L record. Dusty is a minority manager, in a sport where they are very rare.

The Reds win totals and attendance have went UP since Dusty has been here, that fact, and Dusty's minority status, aids him from criticism that would be normal for other managers. In his defense, his shortcomings should have been well known, and if they are perceived by the Reds front office ( who should have enough technical expertise to know the difference) to be hindering the Reds, they haven't done anything about it yet, for whatever reason. The previous ownership here had feedback- bad attendance, and moves were made, albeit insufficient ones until Castellini arrived. Attendance is still good, but Reds fans are among the most knowledgeable ones, so winning or not will affect things. Until that happens, in not looking for a change in the Reds manager.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Reds media continue to prop up the same lies ... and all of them are in "general" statistics and perceptions about the nature of the team.

Bruce and Votto hit a lot of home runs, though hardly all that many. Perception: The Reds have a power offense.
They score a lot of runs every so often against somebody. It averages out to a pretty high number over a series. Perception: The Reds score a lot of runs.
Aroldis Chapman throws a baseball 100 mph whenever he wants. Perception: The Reds have a knockout bullpen.
Brandon Phillips is (yeah, stereotyping here) ... fast (because all *those* people are.) Perception: Reds have a running game.

And they keep churning over the same lies again and again. I listen to the announcers from other teams who keep serving up this same old pablum about the Reds and I keep shaking my head. They don't see what I've seen.

Great defense? Not in left field. Not behind the plate. Sometimes, not in CF or RF.

And I am about to vomit at the continued accolades for Baker, the guy nobody in the booth dares criticize because he's won 1,600 games (lost 1,600) and is admired by everyone. I just really am tired of the contrived ass-kissing that goes on in the sports media. And naturally, since "everyone" blames Dusty, the scribes are quick to point it out, claiming that everybody thinks the Reds will lose because of their "coach."

Idiots who don't know what a "coach" is deserve to be told to fuck off.

But the fact is, the dugout "coaches" are not helping this team improve.

I watched the Birds dismantle the Fish and the AAAstros, winning all 6 and at no point showing any signs of weakness. The Reds go 2-4 against teams that are nearly as bad.

Ah ... 6-0 or 2-4.

Whatever, Dusty.
Whatever.

I spent a lot of my youth rooting for a team that didn't have a chance to win.
This team was built to win THIS YEAR. It ain't gonna happen.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thom Brennaman might be in vacation or something...but since being coaxed into agreeing with the ESPN announcers assessment that Dusty was "stupid" for his bone head bad managing last week (but I consider it routine for Dusty) I haven't seen Thom on FoxSportsOhio channel that normally carries Reds games here in SW OH. Coincidence, maybe. Maybe a little reaction by the vindictive Reds brass that take Reds media criticism of Dusty about like Fidel handled criticism in Cuba.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard a caller on the Amazon show tonight on WLW theorize that the reason Dusty never gets upset about bad calls is because he had a stroke last year and was told by his doc not to get stressed out.
I think Dusty should have retired. I can't believe he will last the season at this rate.

For the last 40 games, or 1/4 of the season, the Reds are UNDER .500.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tony Perez got fired 44 games into his first season as Reds manager.

He had a far worse roster than Dusty, and a couple of decades of loyalty to the Reds, as a stand up, make no excuses kind of player. He's the guy most in the know said kept the BRM egos in check, and the unspoken enforcer on the team.

After his firing as Reds manager, he has worked for the Marlins afterward as a coach, instructor, front office consultant, Spanish speaking radio personality, scout, and probably a few other occupations I've left out.

Just saying....

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would settle for the gentle 21st century version of replacing Dusty Baker.
Whatever that includes.

“That’s the only mistake I made. I should have brought him into my office to tell him. I was trained to do it over the phone...."

WTF ... "trained" to do it over the phone? What was the guy, a damned dog?

Last edited by a moderator:

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dusty reminds me of an airline pilot. How could we go wrong with Dusty as our Pilot?

The airline Pilot starts his day by walking around the plane doing a general inspection of the plane.
He relies on other people to assure the plane is in good working order, the plane looks good to him.

Dusty meanders around the field with the occasional "Keep your eye on the ball" or "you've got to be more aggressive" words of wisdom. Doesn't know how to fix any of the problems, he's got his support team for that.

Now it's off to the cockpit. The Pilot gets out the flight manual and goes down the checklist insuring everything is functioning okay. The checklist is monotonous; it's the same thing every time. He completes the list and notifies the tower he's ready for takeoff.

Dusty returns to the dugout and begins working on his line-up. He ponders for a bit and begins his checklist. Choo leading off followed by Cozart, Votto, and Phillips as he's singing in cadence "left right left", pauses for the right, "left right left". He's filling out his line-up like a good soldier... by the book. As he nears the end he stops singing and is heard saying "and the catcher bats eight". Passes the card to Hatcher and tells him to let the umpire know the Reds are ready to "Play Ball".

The plane takes off and reaches altitude. The Pilot puts the plane on auto-pilot, turns off the seat-belt fasten signs and announces to the passengers they are free to move about the cabin.

The game has started and Dusty is on auto-pilot as well. The starting pitcher has 100 pitches to throw regardless of the score and he doesn't have anything to do for the next 6-7 innings unless there's a catastrophe. There are no warning lights or buzzers going off. Everything must be okay, hand Dusty another "chewing stick".

The flight is reaching its destination and the Pilot is asleep at the switch. The Pilot is awakened by alarms blaring and warning lights flashing. The plane is out of fuel and is in a stall, the pilot doesn't know what to do. The plane is doomed.

As the game nears the end, Dusty doesn't know what went wrong. He had a plan, he's sure it's not his fault, unless it's a win. The Reds are doomed.

To quote Tom Hanks " There's no crying in baseball". There's no unwritten rule about sarcasm and finding humor in it either. Hand me another tissue.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will deviate from the standard and conclude that it's apparent that the Reds are going to end up wherever they happen to end up. There's no signal that there's anything going on except pre-destination or planned mediocrity. What bothers me is that the players are either content with this or are being told to avoid dealing with it.

I watched Gary beat the snot out of Fargo last night ... 5th inning ... infield single, error, walk and a 3-run triple to the corner -- all with 2 outs. Real-live small ball. All for 9 bucks.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So if we expect to catch the Birds and the other Birds, we need to start winning more games.
At this rate, at the end of November, the Reds will be 5 games out of first place.

Cincy the Red

It all starts with heart.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Turned on the TV last night and saw something "offensive." No, no, no....it wasn't a 300lb. lady wearing spandex in a Walmart commercial, but "offensive" meaning nearly everyone in the Reds lineup was getting the bat on the ball!!!! 10 hits, 4 runs too! Not incredibly impressive but against a good Braves team I will take it. Outside Messy & Arroyo, everyone had 1 hit or more. And can you believe it!!??....we scored early and gave Bronson a nice cushion of runs to begin the game. It seems we have had 9 or more hits and 4 or more runs the last 3 games consecutively...............

..........*Yawn*..........I must be dreaming. Honey, turn the TV off, I'm gonna go to bed.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reds are 3-5 in the last week. That doesn't inspire me, no matter how many hits they crank out.

BigBlueNation111

Let The Games Begin!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Turned on the TV last night and saw something "offensive." No, no, no....it wasn't a 300lb. lady wearing spandex in a Walmart commercial, but "offensive" meaning nearly everyone in the Reds lineup was getting the bat on the ball!!!! 10 hits, 4 runs too! Not incredibly impressive but against a good Braves team I will take it. Outside Messy & Arroyo, everyone had 1 hit or more. And can you believe it!!??....we scored early and gave Bronson a nice cushion of runs to begin the game. It seems we have had 9 or more hits and 4 or more runs the last 3 games consecutively...............

..........*Yawn*..........I must be dreaming. Honey, turn the TV off, I'm gonna go to bed.

:laugh3: