• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Would you take any duo over prime MJ and LeBron?

CodeBreaker

Dismember
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Magic drew people and players to him. He could adjust and play all 5 positions. He built a locker room of fighters and he could get the most out of the peeps around him
LeBron can draw people to him too. He could play at least 4 positions. He shoots better than Magic. More athletic. I am just curious with the choice.

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LeBron can draw people to him too. He could play at least 4 positions. He shoots better than Magic. More athletic. I am just curious with the choice.

No I get your thinking. But I dont see too many players staying tight with LBJ. Magic owned the locker room and he literally turned that franchise around while he was still in diapers. It took LBJ many years and clubs to win his first, and only by stacking the deck. Magic got everyone on the same page early

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No I get your thinking. But I dont see too many players staying tight with LBJ. Magic owned the locker room and he literally turned that franchise around while he was still in diapers. It took LBJ many years and clubs to win his first, and only by stacking the deck. Magic got everyone on the same page early

Yeah, Magic knows/knew people and how to work with them/get them on his side. He went to a better team his rookie season than Lebron did. But it was also a team that was pretty splintered. Magic came in, established himself as a leader (without stepping on Kareem's toes) and got everyone on the same page. That's almost unheard of for a rookie.

Part of the reason it worked so well was because, especially early on, Magic always deferred to Kareem publicly. Always called him Cap or Big Fella and always said it was "Cap's team" even when everyone, including Kareem, knew that the torch had been passed.

When it comes to athletic skill, etc. Lebron is a stronger, faster, more athletic version of Magic. But when it comes to leadership/intangibles, Magic has it big over Lebron.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree.

The locker room thing and leadership skills are Magic's advantage. Those are pretty darn important. It comes down to what you value more.

If I am building a team with anybody I want though, I might as well just take them both. Good luck defense.

DorianRo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shaq at his peak 2000-2002 would be easier to play with than anyone in history (including MJ probably). So throw a peak 1986 Bird out there with a peak 2000/2001 Shaq. That a deadlier duo than MJ/Lebron IMO. Shaq at his peak was something else. A real freak of nature.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shaq at his peak 2000-2002 would be easier to play with than anyone in history (including MJ probably). So throw a peak 1986 Bird out there with a peak 2000/2001 Shaq. That a deadlier duo than MJ/Lebron IMO. Shaq at his peak was something else. A real freak of nature.

You underestimate new basketball. Shaq is not the easiest player to play with for three reasons:

1: he is a liability in pick and roll defense and would be exploited on that end today.

2: he is a post player with zero outside game. Post players, no matter how great clog driving get lanes. While dumping the ball to Shaq when the help comes is a fine option, a wide open key with shooters spaces all around makes for even easier opportunities for a slasher.

3: FTs. Hello hack a Shaq.

Shaq was great. But, the easiest guys to play with are unselfish perimeter players without any weaknesses. LeBron, Magic and Bird all come to mind right away. Although not of the same stature (yet) KD and Kawhi are right there also.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But MJ wasn't that easy to play with, so you are correct there.

DorianRo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You underestimate new basketball. Shaq is not the easiest player to play with for three reasons:

1: he is a liability in pick and roll defense and would be exploited on that end today.

2: he is a post player with zero outside game. Post players, no matter how great clog driving get lanes. While dumping the ball to Shaq when the help comes is a fine option, a wide open key with shooters spaces all around makes for even easier opportunities for a slasher.

3: FTs. Hello hack a Shaq.

Shaq was great. But, the easiest guys to play with are unselfish perimeter players without any weaknesses. LeBron, Magic and Bird all come to mind right away. Although not of the same stature (yet) KD and Kawhi are right there also.

I'll take Shaq all day in this league. Yes hes gonna be liability on Defense or pick and roll because of his size (isn't Lebron though? I think he is). But what it comes right down to it, you have two options with Shaq, Give up a foul (getting in foul trouble ) or give up an easy dunk. Theres no stopping him. And its EASIER to play with Dominant BIG's than without them.

Shaq would make a mockery out of today's NBA down low. HE would be easily putting up 37/20 Stats if he was in his prime/peak or more when he was motivated.

Jordan would dominate today, but Shaq would dominate probably more since Teams have such crumby interiors with very few great big men in the league.

Last edited:

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll take Shaq all day in this league. Yes hes gonna be liability on Defense or pick and roll because of his size (isn't Lebron though? I think he is). But what it comes right down to it, you have two options with Shaq, Give up a foul (getting in foul trouble ) or give up an easy dunk. Theres no stopping him. And its EASIER to play with Dominant BIG's than without them.

Shaq would make a mockery out of today's NBA down low. HE would be easily putting up 37/20 Stats if he was in his prime/peak or more when he was motivated.

Jordan would dominate today, but Shaq would dominate probably more since Teams have such crumby interiors with very few great big men in the league.

YOU said he was the easiest to play with. Players who can space the floor are easier to play with than dominant bigs. Bigs take up valuable real estate near the rim.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
YOU said he was the easiest to play with. Players who can space the floor are easier to play with than dominant bigs. Bigs take up valuable real estate near the rim.

At least he's not spewing obscenities and inane takes, and actually making a reasoned argument.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I like floor spacers with a dominant big. Best of both worlds so to speak, especially when that big is an excellent passer like Shaq was.

Want to double and triple team Shaq? He'll kick it out to the guys on the perimeter.

Want to extend your defense and stop the guys on the perimeter? Good luck stopping Shaq with 1 guy.

The Shaq/Kobe Lakers had a great mix, imo. They had the dominant big, they had a slasher with Kobe and they had guys who could space the floor.

The Heat had a similar mix when Shaq went there as well.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like floor spacers with a dominant big. Best of both worlds so to speak, especially when that big is an excellent passer like Shaq was.

Want to double and triple team Shaq? He'll kick it out to the guys on the perimeter.

Want to extend your defense and stop the guys on the perimeter? Good luck stopping Shaq with 1 guy.

The Shaq/Kobe Lakers had a great mix, imo. They had the dominant big, they had a slasher with Kobe and they had guys who could space the floor.

The Heat had a similar mix when Shaq went there as well.

I agree. He was a great teammate.

But if we are talking about easiest to play with of all time, I am taking a do everything unselfish wing or a point guard like Magic.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. He was a great teammate.

But if we are talking about easiest to play with of all time, I am taking a do everything unselfish wing or a point guard like Magic.

Can't disagree with with that. Always want a guy who makes everyone else better.

ChrisperJ10

Above Average Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pippen and Olajuwon... Something different.

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's say you can choose to have MJ and LeBron in their prime as a duo, or any other two players who played in the NBA, who are you going to pick? You cannot pick MJ + someone else other than LeBron, or LeBron plus someone other than MJ.

MJ-LeBron or other duo?

Sorry, but I'd still take Jordan/Pippen over Jordan/LeBron.

The biggest reason is that I like Pippen's D better than I like LeBron's. There's no debate that LeBron is a better individual talent than Pippen, but as far as team-first concept goes, I'd still take Pippen assuming I already had Jordan in place. LeBron, while a solid man-to-man defender, could get exploited at that end of the court against a run-and-gun team. Not a good defender in transition. Plus, I can't go wrong with the chemistry of Jordan/Pippen.

CodeBreaker

Dismember
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, but I'd still take Jordan/Pippen over Jordan/LeBron.

The biggest reason is that I like Pippen's D better than I like LeBron's. There's no debate that LeBron is a better individual talent than Pippen, but as far as team-first concept goes, I'd still take Pippen assuming I already had Jordan in place. LeBron, while a solid man-to-man defender, could get exploited at that end of the court against a run-and-gun team. Not a good defender in transition. Plus, I can't go wrong with the chemistry of Jordan/Pippen.
Not only individual talent, but as a team player, I believe LeBron is also better than Pippen. And prime LeBron's defense was DPOY candidate. And chemistry wise, LeBron's a natural facilitator, while Jordan is a scorer, I think it would work alot better than what Pippen can offer as the Robin.

desert heat

prominent member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,531.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
magic johnson and jabbar or chamberlain