• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Worst Draft in the League?

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If any of you know me, I usually stay pretty positive. However, out of sheer curiousity I am wondering who, in your opinion, was the worst 1 or 2 drafts in the league?

I'll give you my 2:

1) Chiefs - 1st round Dee Ford? You already have 2 situational pass rushers who are good. Why? You got at best a: 2nd string, situational, pass rusher - with a first round pick. Even at that he was a huge reach. Horrible pick, imo. Next pick was Gaines, DB from Rice. Okay..... are you gonna cut the pro bowl Brandon Flowers? Again, you are drafting a backup - at best. Next, DeAnthony Thoma. Nice player, but... Don't you have Jamal Charles? The absolute most productive RB in the NFL (if stats mean anything he is)? All 3 of your first picks were for backup positions. Flat out awful!

2) Patriots - Weirdly bad draft, imo. A first round pick who may/may not start. A 2nd round pick so that he can possibly be your 3rd string Qb??? A 3rd string Rb in the 4th??? I have no idea what they were doing. They did draft 3 offensive linemen, but if that was emphasis why not do it earlier and get better players?

Thoughts guys?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
2) Patriots - Weirdly bad draft, imo. A first round pick who may/may not start. A 2nd round pick so that he can possibly be your 3rd string Qb??? A 3rd string Rb in the 4th??? I have no idea what they were doing. They did draft 3 offensive linemen, but if that was emphasis why not do it earlier and get better players?

Thoughts guys?

I've been talking up Dominique Easley all season and saying he's going to not only be a terror if he goes to a 4-3 team, but he's also going to be a leader and an excellent influence on the team with one of the best football attitudes / personalities you'll ever find. I think he's a significantly better prospect than Aaron Donald. The only reason he might be a bad pick is the ACL, but players come back from ACL tears all the time these days.

Put Easley next to Wilfork when they're both healthy and that's going to be a pain in the ass for offenses. How do you not love a guy who does this?

ockhZA.gif

As far as the rest of their draft goes, I don't know. They seemed to be drafting largely for need, and a team ready to compete for a SB can get away with doing that.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bills.

Hands down

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If any of you know me, I usually stay pretty positive. However, out of sheer curiousity I am wondering who, in your opinion, was the worst 1 or 2 drafts in the league?

I'll give you my 2:

1) Chiefs - 1st round Dee Ford? You already have 2 situational pass rushers who are good. Why? You got at best a: 2nd string, situational, pass rusher - with a first round pick. Even at that he was a huge reach. Horrible pick, imo. Next pick was Gaines, DB from Rice. Okay..... are you gonna cut the pro bowl Brandon Flowers? Again, you are drafting a backup - at best. Next, DeAnthony Thoma. Nice player, but... Don't you have Jamal Charles? The absolute most productive RB in the NFL (if stats mean anything he is)? All 3 of your first picks were for backup positions. Flat out awful!

Thoughts guys?

Since you put the word why in there...

Well, while I don't exactly agree with everything the Chiefs have done, they do seem to have some kind of coherent plan about constructing the roster. So I will attempt to explain their reasoning which will hopefully make some sense.

Look at the cap number for Hali in 2015, the Alex Smith contract situation, Flower's age and decline (weather it is the knee or not is irrelevant right now) and McCluster leaving in Free agency, and this draft starts to makes a lot more sense from the BPA perspective-- but need is vaguely mixed in too. For example, Ford replacing in 2015 is cap friendly and allows KC, in theory, to resign Houston. More importantly, this allows them to move on from Hali.

Ford is going to see the field in sub packages (some of which will almost certainly include all 3 OLB's) so he is definitely going to see playing time, and Hali and Houston simply can't be there every snap, it isn't realistic. See the 2nd half of last year (Or the first meeting with KC and SD post injuries) and see what our OLB depth was like last year. As for Ford being a reach, the reasoning is simple to explain that, KC supposedly had him rated as the top passrusher available at that spot, Philly traded down, and the calculus was (and evidence supports the idea of Philly picks Ford just a few picks behind KC if KC did not) that if they had the guy they wanted, and if trading back doesn't allow you to get your guy, then why trade down? Once they got their guy, not so surprisingly in this calculus, Marcus Smith is drafted not long afterwards.

Similar deal to Gaines except there is some talk he could play FS (although I doubt it, personally). More likely though he serves as a replacement for another big cap number, Flowers (who probably hasn't performed up to his pay-grade at least in the last year) in maybe 2015 or beyond. Again, this is a cap friendly pick that allows the Chiefs to transition to a much younger roster. In the meantime for 2014 though, it provides a lot of depth, or if Marcus Cooper sucks, he could maybe take 3rd on the depth chart.

The end game in all of this seems to be the maneuver themselves for a possible resigning of Justin Houston and/or possibly extending Alex Smith to a "Franchise Money" contract.

De'Anthony Thomas fills two slots immediately: The void of McCluster-- who is not running the ball very often, if at all, but will be a speedy receiver that can be a nuisance to cover, and punt returner which we had none of prior. In fact, if you had checked some sites listing depth charts for punt returner just a week or so ago, you would have gotten nothing. If this was a true RB pick, I would indeed be furious as Jamaal Charles and the interesting Knile Davis more recently are already producing. The only question is if he is slotted 3rd in the RB depth chart or 4th with De'Anthony Thomas. If anything, it is a faster version of McCluster.

The general theme being in the first several picks that they are either picking up what is BPA, and to a lesser extent, needs for next year-- never said they had to be one or the other, did I? Already saw this movie play out with Brandon Albert and Eric Fisher; guess who our starting LT is now? Not the guy who left in FA.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am wondering who, in your opinion, was the worst 1 or 2 drafts in the league?

I'll give you my 2:

1) Chiefs Flat out awful!

2) Patriots - Weirdly bad draft, imo.

Thoughts guys?

Addressing KC 1st.

KC...no 2nd rd pick (A. Smith trade)

#1...Dee Ford. I actually like this player and felt ATL might try to trade back into the 1st round to get him. For KC he's a depth player who should get in the DL rotation...not easy to find starters in the 20s. I would've taken Benjamin here, but I can't slam them on this one.

#3...Gaines...you can't have enough CBs today...Given they took a DL guy in the 1st...I would've taken Moncrief here, but again, can't kill the pick.

#4...Thomas, ok McCluster left, but imo this where the train started going sideways...They have Davis & Gray, McKnight...not sure what they thinking here...given they are a bit shaky on paying Berry, I would've taken Tre Boston here.

#5...Murray...I'm a Bray guy, didn't see the need, but Murray might be a better WC OFC fit...very accurate passer <25 yds. Glutton on QBs maybe they trade one.

#6/#6...both developmental players.

I don't like the draft, but the most glaring thing to me is they didn't take a WR. IMO, not the worst.

I'm going to echo the BUF draft as being the worst...not so much Watkins is nice player, clearly the most NFL ready, but when you compare him to Julio, AJ Green, etc...he's notch below them to me...imo not worthy of giving up a 1st in '15...that shot them to the top of the list even though I like Kouandjio, Richardson...even Henderson in the 7th...if he can screw it on right, he has starter potential...but I think they gave up a top 10 pick next year.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as KC is concerned, their draft is a bust if they dont re-sign Alex Smith since they spent a 2nd on him.

NE's draft is kinda weak if they don't get something in a trade for Mallett. Why on earth have they been wasting Tom Brady? Garappolo pick could have been Jarvis Landry or Donte Moncrief. Mallett could have been Austin Pettis or Vincent Brown (or Jurrell Casey if they went defense)

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as KC is concerned, their draft is a bust if they dont re-sign Alex Smith since they spent a 2nd on him.

NE's draft is kinda weak if they don't get something in a trade for Mallett. Why on earth have they been wasting Tom Brady? Garappolo pick could have been Jarvis Landry or Donte Moncrief. Mallett could have been Austin Pettis or Vincent Brown (or Jurrell Casey if they went defense)

NE...BB marches to his own drum beat and always has since he became the guru. As long as they keep Brady and a solid OL, they will be playoff caliber, because he has pieces on DEF. I'm not sure about winning anymore SBs with the cast they have trotted out there.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bills.

Hands down

This and it is not even remotely close in my opinion.

You guys really need to watch your teams

WR Sammy Watkins, who may well be regarded as the top player in this draft a few years down the road, is exactly what Buffalo needed. Their passing game scared no one last year.

New RT Cyrus Kouandjio is a first-round talent.

G Cyril Richardson is solid.

Both will keep Manuel safer in the pocket.

I'm not sure what you wanted Buffalo to recruit. After taking manuel in the first round last year, another QB wasn't in the cards. Their D is what kept them in the game.

The Buffalo backfield is damn good, their D is damn good, they needed to improve the O Line and get a great receiver.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys really need to watch your teams

WR Sammy Watkins, who may well be regarded as the top player in this draft a few years down the road, is exactly what Buffalo needed. Their passing game scared no one last year.

New RT Cyrus Kouandjio is a first-round talent.

G Cyril Richardson is solid.

Both will keep Manuel safer in the pocket.

I'm not sure what you wanted Buffalo to recruit. After taking manuel in the first round last year, another QB wasn't in the cards. Their D is what kept them in the game.

The Buffalo backfield is damn good, their D is damn good, they needed to improve the O Line and get a great receiver.
Bills lost: their best receiver, a 4th round pick, next year's first round pick, this year's first round pick

Bills gained: Sammy Watkins, a 4th round pick

Bills have zero insurance if EJ Manual or Sammy Watkins doesn't work out. If Bradford or Tavon Austin doesn't work out, the Rams can just draft a replacement next year.

Last edited by a moderator:

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bills lost: their best receiver, a 4th round pick, next year's first round pick, this year's first round pick

Bills gained: Sammy Watkins, a 4th round pick

Bills have zero insurance if EJ Manual or Sammy Watkins doesn't work out.

Well yes....if you consider Watkins a bust/4th round pick...you would be right. Your logic is flawed because he is the best offensive player in this years draft. And will be the best of the receivers in next years draft so taking a Watkins was the best solution.

Buffalo gave up next years one for him...I get that being a negitive...but they still got the best offensive player in this years draft....johnny pinball be damned.

You are correct with EJ though. I was skeptical last year and still am. But there was nothing to be done about the QB position and the draft this year. All the QBs were a question mark. They made that choice last year and that should have no bearing when evaluating this draft. I'm hoping the added OLine will help EJ out.

btw....I think the rams did damn well in the draft. Getting Robinson and Donald...those are two studs. And I like Tre Mason too.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well yes....if you consider Watkins a bust/4th round pick...you would be right. Your logic is flawed because he is the best offensive player in this years draft. And will be the best receiver in next years draft
With the way players get arrested and hurt these days, there is no such things as a safe bet. Watkins is also really raw...a huge percentage of his routes were screen passes last year. Even more than Tavon Austin coming in.

Is he really that much better of a prospect than Ebron who could have been gotten without trading away the farm?

milker2324

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since you put the word why in there...

Well, while I don't exactly agree with everything the Chiefs have done, they do seem to have some kind of coherent plan about constructing the roster. So I will attempt to explain their reasoning which will hopefully make some sense.

Look at the cap number for Hali in 2015, the Alex Smith contract situation, Flower's age and decline (weather it is the knee or not is irrelevant right now) and McCluster leaving in Free agency, and this draft starts to makes a lot more sense from the BPA perspective-- but need is vaguely mixed in too. For example, Ford replacing in 2015 is cap friendly and allows KC, in theory, to resign Houston. More importantly, this allows them to move on from Hali.

Ford is going to see the field in sub packages (some of which will almost certainly include all 3 OLB's) so he is definitely going to see playing time, and Hali and Houston simply can't be there every snap, it isn't realistic. See the 2nd half of last year (Or the first meeting with KC and SD post injuries) and see what our OLB depth was like last year. As for Ford being a reach, the reasoning is simple to explain that, KC supposedly had him rated as the top passrusher available at that spot, Philly traded down, and the calculus was (and evidence supports the idea of Philly picks Ford just a few picks behind KC if KC did not) that if they had the guy they wanted, and if trading back doesn't allow you to get your guy, then why trade down? Once they got their guy, not so surprisingly in this calculus, Marcus Smith is drafted not long afterwards.

Similar deal to Gaines except there is some talk he could play FS (although I doubt it, personally). More likely though he serves as a replacement for another big cap number, Flowers (who probably hasn't performed up to his pay-grade at least in the last year) in maybe 2015 or beyond. Again, this is a cap friendly pick that allows the Chiefs to transition to a much younger roster. In the meantime for 2014 though, it provides a lot of depth, or if Marcus Cooper sucks, he could maybe take 3rd on the depth chart.

The end game in all of this seems to be the maneuver themselves for a possible resigning of Justin Houston and/or possibly extending Alex Smith to a "Franchise Money" contract.

De'Anthony Thomas fills two slots immediately: The void of McCluster-- who is not running the ball very often, if at all, but will be a speedy receiver that can be a nuisance to cover, and punt returner which we had none of prior. In fact, if you had checked some sites listing depth charts for punt returner just a week or so ago, you would have gotten nothing. If this was a true RB pick, I would indeed be furious as Jamaal Charles and the interesting Knile Davis more recently are already producing. The only question is if he is slotted 3rd in the RB depth chart or 4th with De'Anthony Thomas. If anything, it is a faster version of McCluster.

The general theme being in the first several picks that they are either picking up what is BPA, and to a lesser extent, needs for next year-- never said they had to be one or the other, did I? Already saw this movie play out with Brandon Albert and Eric Fisher; guess who our starting LT is now? Not the guy who left in FA.

Im not saying you are wrong because i am not part of the org., but i believe and all the articles i have read believe, that philly was taking smith the whole time and not ford. I have not read anything (yet), that states ford was their guy. They preached versatility for a while now and that is exactly what that was. Smith was the most complete and versatile OLB left, and likely only second to mack. He had experience as an OLB in the 3-4 AND the 4-3, and also as a DE. LOU moved him all around last year and gave him different responsibilities. He may not have been the best POTENTIAL pass rusher left (although he was in production, 2nd in sacks last year), but he had experience rushing, run stopping, and dropping into coverage. They said they wanted to be able to disguise as much as they can, they want the offense to not know whether smith or barwin are rushing or dropping back, instead of having one always rushing or dropping back.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the way players get arrested and hurt these days, there is no such things as a safe bet. Watkins is also really raw...a huge percentage of his routes were screen passes last year. Even more than Tavon Austin coming in.

Is he really that much better of a prospect than Ebron who could have been gotten without trading away the farm?

He's a tight end. The bills needed speed to stretch the D.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also....this is the only time of the year that a bills fan can be optimistic. :-)

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a Bills fan, I don't think they had the "worst draft." We will know for sure within the next three seasons. But I would classify them as having the most risky draft. Trading up 5 spaces and giving up their 2014 1st round pick and 2015 1st and 4th round pick was a huge, gigantic gamble.

My fellow Bills fans blasted me for saying this, but I believe it's 100% accurate. To me, Watkins can't be a good player for the Bills, or even a pretty good player for the Bills. He has to be GREAT/Hall of Fame caliber, and consistently putting up big time numbers virtually every season. Trading up for Watkins, essentially means that he's worth two blue chip players put together.

If Watkins is a great player ala Larry Fitzgerald/CJ/Andre Johnson/Randy Moss/Terrell Owens/Andre Reed like player, he would be well worth the ticket price. EJ Manuel needs a big time and consistent target. Adding Watkins, along with Woods, Goodwin, Williams, Chandler, Spiller, Jackson, and Brown, could make the Bills a very powerful force on offense.

For those who disagree with my commentary, need to understand the following things:

(1) The 2014 NFL Draft was very deep in wide receivers. Most media boards had between 5 and 6 graded in the 1st round and up to 17 graded in the first three rounds. If Watkins doesn't live up to his high hype and somebody like Beckham or Evans puts up superior numbers, it's going to be make the Bills look really really bad, and yet another "Bills move."

(2) Other than the Redskins-Rams trade, no team has ever given up that much for moving up less than 10 spaces for a player. Most of the time, teams give up their 1st and 2nd round pick, and possibly a mid-to-late round pick. They rarely give up two first round picks and a mid-round pick. This is why, even Doug Whaley admits, the pick was a big gamble.

(3) Unlike the Falcons, the Bills are not ONE player away from making the playoffs. They still need to prove they can stop the run and pass, have consistent play at the quarterback position, and win more than 7 games in a season. Giving up on a 1st round pick, means they could miss out on a great prospect in 2015 or potentially miss out on an Aaron Rodgers-like QB again.

(4) He's under 6'2. All of the wide receiver prospects I mentioned in paragraph three were at least 6'2. Watkins is 6'1. Chris Carter was 6'3.

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also....this is the only time of the year that a bills fan can be optimistic. :-)

I hope it works out for us, but knowing the Bills history and how much they overpaid for him, I have to put a question mark next to the pick. Sorry, there's no way around it.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dion Sanders was 6'1" and could lock down anyone and was able to play both sides of the ball like a freak.

I have no issue with a 6-1 Sammy. This guy is going to be great. My only hope is EJ can get him the ball when it's supposed to be there.