• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Worshipping and cherishing Madbum

nateistheshi

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think it's very easy to say that Madbum is at least the 3rd best pitcher on the Giants now (I called him as being better than Dirty last year :humble:.) How long, if ever, is it until he surpasses Cain? Cain's an absolute horse, but there's an argument to be made that the transition has already begun.

Cain is averaging 6.60 innings/start, Madbum is averaging 6.05. Keep in mind that this includes the 1/3 inning fluke, take that away and the numbers become much closer; 6.31 for Bumgarner.

Cain has repressed hits and homeruns (both probably involve luck and skill) at a more effective rate. Cain: .38 HR/9 and 7.53 H/9; Madbum: 0.43 HR/9 and 9.24 H/9. That's where the areas Cain is better in end.

Madbum has a better K% at 22.2% vs. 19.7% and he has a better BBK% at 5.5% vs. 6.5%.

On top of that, Madbum has been one of, if not the most unlucky pitcher in baseball. He has a .333 BABIP (easily outside the realm of skill.) and a 69.1 LOB%. This could be due to Madbum not pitching nearly as well from the stretch as he does from the windup, however, at each level where he's thrown at least 14 starts, 76.2 is his lowest LOB%.

As far as Cain vs. Madbum goes, I think Cain is still a bit better, but that won't last for very long.

At some point in time I'll make a post to show historical comps for Madbum due to his age and dominance, but I feel too lazy for now and that's jumping the gun by a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:

mistgl

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think it's very easy to say that Madbum is at least the 3rd best pitcher on the Giants now (I called him as being better than Dirty last year :humble:.) How long, if ever, is it until he surpasses Cain? Cain's an absolute horse, but there's an argument to be made that the transition has already begun.

Cain is averaging 6.60 innings/start, Madbum is averaging 6.05. Keep in mind that this includes the 1/3 inning fluke, take that away and the numbers become much closer; 6.31 for Bumgarner.

Cain has repressed hits and homeruns (both probably involve luck and skill) at a more effective rate. Cain: .38 HR/9 and 7.53 H/9; Madbum: 0.43 HR/9 and 9.24 H/9. That's where the areas Cain is better in end.

Madbum has a better K% at 22.2% vs. 19.7% and he has a better BBK% at 5.5% vs. 6.5%.

On top of that, Madbum has been one of, if not the most unlucky pitcher in baseball. He has a .333 BABIP (easily outside the realm of skill.) and a 69.1 LOB%. This could be due to Madbum not pitching nearly as well from the stretch as he does from the windup, however, at each level where he's thrown at least 14 starts, 76.2 is his lowest LOB%.

As far as Cain vs. Madbum goes, I think Cain is still a bit better, but that won't last for very long.

At some point in time I'll make a post to show historical comps for Madbum due to his age and dominance, but I feel too lazy for now and that's jumping the gun by a bit.

Cain is in this weird void between ace and #2. As of right now he is better.

But to answer you question, yes, I think Madum will be better than Cain. He has all the tools and skills to become the next Cliff Lee. Kid is a damn strike zone surgeon when he's on. Once Bum hones his nibbling down to an art, it's buh bye.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cain is in this weird void between ace and #2. As of right now he is better.

But to answer you question, yes, I think Madum will be better than Cain. He has all the tools and skills to become the next Cliff Lee. Kid is a damn strike zone surgeon when he's on. Once Bum hones his nibbling down to an art, it's buh bye.

Yes, Cliff Lee is an almost perfect comparison and it was evident in his matchup against him last week. MadBum is figuring things out quick. Last spring when he started off slow but he managed to turn that around by May and dominate by June. He's already fought through the post season, let's not forget he threw 8 shutout 1-hit innings against the most dangerous offense in the game on the biggest stage of his life on the road. He's figured out to pitch already and his stuff is actually getting BETTER.

So to answer your question, yes I think he will surpass Cain, and pretty soon too. And that's nothing against Cain whatsoever, it will just mean we will have 3 aces, a number 1, 1a and 1b

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Am I the only one who thinks he will, when all is said and done, be remembered as the best of the three?

Granted, Timmeh's back-to-back CYs are going to hard to overcome...

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Am I the only one who thinks he will, when all is said and done, be remembered as the best of the three?

I used to think he had a chance, but boy Tim's first 4 years are hard to match by any pitcher. I think MadBum may have a better career, but the Freak started off running. The difference is Tim is already the golden boy for this franchise and a face for baseball. Tim's a superstar, MadBum's a damn good pitcher.

mistgl

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

I think Madbum will stay dominant longer.

Tims dominance relies on so many things going right, and as we've seen this June and last August, when just one goes wrong, it gets bad.