• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

With the 8th pick in the 2011 Nhl Draft, The Philadelphia Flyers select...

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
C Mark Scheifele of the Barrie Colts.

At least that's what the ESPN Insider Mock Draft thinks.

I tend to agree however that we should be gunning for a defenseman at that spot. Why on earth would we acquire Schenn at center only to draft yet another center with our best pick? I understand the importance of being strong down the middle, but we just unloaded two centers, so we can't be too concerned about any weakness at that position with just Giroux, Briere and Betts. We will clearly have to sign another center via free agency or trade and drafting a center won't likely change that. Unless, that is, we expect the soon to be 20 year old Schenn to be our third line center. I just don't know about that.

I won't pretend to have studied the draft thoroughly or anything, but it seems to me like we'd be better off picking up D Ryan Murphy of Kitchener or D Dougie Hamilton of Niagara.

At the end of the day, I guess I can't argue with simply taking the best available player when it's our turn up at 8th (and that may very well be a center). Our farm team is empty enough to handle any position regardless I suppose.

Thoughts? I am as excited as anyone for tonight.

Last edited by a moderator:

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I won't pretend to have studied the draft thoroughly or anything, but it seems to me like we'd be better off picking up D Ryan Murphy of Kitchener or D Dougie Hamilton of Niagara.

These are the 2 names they keep discussing on the radio. We would apparently be happy with either. I think it would be a good move to get a young stud defenseman at this point as Kimmo is not getting any younger and it is very rare for us to be drafting so high (other than Jvr).

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^Are either of those D men, if drafted, going to fight for a roster spot this year?

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^Are either of those D men, if drafted, going to fight for a roster spot this year?

Doubt it. Both are 18. Hamilton is 6-4, 193 and Murphy is 5-10, 176. I think at least a year or 2 more.

Look for Gustafsson, Marshall, Bourdon, Bartulis and Lehtivari to battle for the 6 and 7. We need to go cheap somewhere. Syvret is also a UFA but I would be real suprised if they bring him back.

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Flyers get Dougie Hamilton they win the draft and this Carter trade is lobsided big time in the Flyers favour

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Flyers get Dougie Hamilton they win the draft and this Carter trade is lobsided big time in the Flyers favour

LOL Well, we passed on him. We'll see I guess, but I probably would have taken Hamilton. The fucking Bruins were sure as hell thrilled to take him right after we didn't.

PhillyPhaithful48

Pickles will Prevail
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
C Mark Scheifele of the Barrie Colts.

At least that's what the ESPN Insider Mock Draft thinks.

I tend to agree however that we should be gunning for a defenseman at that spot. Why on earth would we acquire Schenn at center only to draft yet another center with our best pick? I understand the importance of being strong down the middle, but we just unloaded two centers, so we can't be too concerned about any weakness at that position with just Giroux, Briere and Betts. We will clearly have to sign another center via free agency or trade and drafting a center won't likely change that. Unless, that is, we expect the soon to be 20 year old Schenn to be our third line center. I just don't know about that.

At the end of the day, I guess I can't argue with simply taking the best available player when it's our turn up at 8th (and that may very well be a center). Our farm team is empty enough to handle any position regardless I suppose.

Thoughts? I am as excited as anyone for tonight.

Never EVER EVER EVER rely on ESPN for anything even remotely related to hockey. EVER

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There weren't any draft threads. That's all I was accomplishing with this post...lol