• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

with the 4th overall pick in the 2011 entry draft....

devs30rko

Senior citizen 0.o
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the New Jersey Devils are pround to select,

from Niagra of the OHL, defenseman Dougie Hamilton.

if this happens will you be disappointed?

while he doesn't have the flashy name of Larsson, Murphy, or a forward like a Couturier or Huberdeau consider some things...

1. he's big for a kid his age, 6'3 195 lbs. and he's only going to get bigger
2. he was 4th in D scoring in OHL this year, only behind Ellis, Murphy, Mcfadden, of which Ellis was a first round pick 2 years ago, both him and Murphy are maybe thigh high, and Mcfadden, while not yet drafted is two years older than him
3. tries to style his game off of Jay Bouwmeester, and is largely considered the most fit player in the OHL

MCDevils

NJ Devils: Sweden West
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
but may need a year to develop his defensive game.

Don't like that description, but I'm not overly concerned with the player jumping into the lineup immediately.

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
On Duncan Siemens:

Responsible Stay at Home defender, but not afraid to to join the rush. Excellent slap shot makes him a threat on the powerplay, similar to Jay Bouwmeester in this stage of his career.

That sounds like exactly what we need. I wonder if he's capable of QB'ing the PP though. Something that Hamilton might be better at, especially since our coaches like using Kovy as the trigger man.

Last edited by a moderator:

MadCaptain

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'd be disappointed if he was picked with Couturier still available.
I'd be in tears if he was picked with Larsson available.

I would probably be disappointed just because his name is Dougie also.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
lol yeah not thrilled about the name dougie i wonder if lou would make him change it to douglas or doug like my ex fav devil doug brown!

i woul dbe upset if they drafted him. i believe you can trade down and still get him like 6th? 7th?

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As an Islanders fan I'd be THRILLED.:D: On the Islanders fan site some people have been acting as if Hamilton was already a member of the Isles. I want a FORWARD unless his name is Adam Larsson.

devs30rko

Senior citizen 0.o
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
siemens is waaaaay to far down the list for us to take as long as were picking at 4. not that he's a bad player, but i'd cry if we took him w guys like hamilton, larsson, couturier on the board.

my hope is still for larsson, and if he's gone couturier. but if both of those two are gone i think hamilton gets my 3rd nod.

devs30rko

Senior citizen 0.o
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and i'll actually go as far as saying i will NOT be suprised if we take him at 4, a lot of experts do think he very well could be a top 5 pick.

but it seems he can provide good puck movement and has a good all around game. if we go d, its gotta be larsson or him, maybe a long shot for murphy

devs30rko

Senior citizen 0.o
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As an Islanders fan I'd be THRILLED.:D: On the Islanders fan site some people have been acting as if Hamilton was already a member of the Isles. I want a FORWARD unless his name is Adam Larsson.

curious so i gotta ask why? other than de haan what are you're other big d prospects, i figured you guys were pretty promising up front already

jw

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be disappointed if larsson isn't there I want center all the way.don't want them getting Hung up drafting based solely on position.best available talent on the board for me.

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'd rather get as much quantity at d as possible, then were bound to get at least one top player.

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I would be disappointed if larsson isn't there I want center all the way.don't want them getting Hung up drafting based solely on position.best available talent on the board for me.

Honestly, I think this logic applies later in the draft more than it would at #4. Obviously #4 still isn't a sure thing (no pick is), BUT let's say we were talking about the 64th pick, then you can just go for pure potential no matter what position because the likelihood of a bust is so much greater.

Theoretically, a #4 overall forward or defenseman should have about the same likelihood of succeeding.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Go with the best player available. If they are good enough down the road they will make the team regardless of position. I would be pretty upset if we passed up on one of the big 4.

Last edited by a moderator:

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
curious so i gotta ask why? other than de haan what are you're other big d prospects, i figured you guys were pretty promising up front already

jw

The only defenseman I would take in the top five is Larsson. I just don't think the other D mentioned are worthy of a top 5 pick. Those two are Murphy & Hamilton.

The Islanders have a #1 center in Tavares. They don't have a #2 center. Sorry, but Frans Neilson is a #3. He's also going to be an UFA at the end of next season.

Bailey was rushed. The skill is their, but I'm not sure if he's going to realize his potential.

Casey Cizakas is going to be a very good NHL player. However he's probably going to be a #3 center at best. He already does a lot of the things Neilson does very well.

Brock Nelson is a long term prospect. He'll be at North Dakota for at least 2 more years.

The Centers available at the top of this draft intrigue me.

I figure at 5 the Islanders will have a choice between Strome & one of Huberdeau or Couturier if Larsson goes in the top 4. My guess is he goes to Florida at 3.

If all 4 teams take forwards. That would leave Larsson & one of Strome/Couturier/Huberdeau to the Islanders. If that happens I expect Larsson to be wearing an Islanders jersey.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
If Hopkins and courtier are gone take larrson if ye is gone take the next best center or trade fown and takea center

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with cup I would have a hard time passing up on Couturier or Hopkins if larsson isnt available Huberdeau or Stroke would be my next choice.To me anyone else would be a trade down situation.

devs30rko

Senior citizen 0.o
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See I would pass in strome for Hamilton no doubt, Hamilton was a beast for the in the playoffs while strome was a virtual no show.

devs30rko

Senior citizen 0.o
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll put it this way if we took Hamilton, and he is NOT MY FIRST, SECOND, AND ONLY A TOSS UP FOR MY THIRD. CHOICE, I do think you're getting a puck mover whose a good leap better than Merrill, and don't forget how high Merrill was projected

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll put it this way if we took Hamilton, and he is NOT MY FIRST, SECOND, AND ONLY A TOSS UP FOR MY THIRD. CHOICE, I do think you're getting a puck mover whose a good leap better than Merrill, and don't forget how high Merrill was projected

RNH won't be available. Neither will Landeskog. Larsson is a toss up. Would you take Hamilton over Huberdeau?

I read on the Isles fan site The Hockey News has Hamilton ranked 8th. Winger Sven Baertchi of the Portland Winterhawks is ranked 5th. I don't subsribe to the magazine anymore. They had Skinner ranked 25th last year.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RNH won't be available. Neither will Landeskog. Larsson is a toss up. Would you take Hamilton over Huberdeau?

I read on the Isles fan site The Hockey News has Hamilton ranked 8th. Winger Sven Baertchi of the Portland Winterhawks is ranked 5th. I don't subsribe to the magazine anymore. They had Skinner ranked 25th last year.

Sorry I think they have Hamilton 10th.