• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Wisconsin @ Nebraska

Brasky

Till We Can't Be Beat. WON'T. BE. BEAT.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to disagree thar. Fondue is fuckin awesome.

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh and beer cheese soup>>>>Wisconsin cheese soup.

BigAppleBadger

On Wisconsin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wisconsin also has better brats, pretzels and beer. Can't forget the beer... and I'm not talking about fucking Miller.

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well the only thing that really matters is Nebraska has the better football team.

1tumblr_lgp6q5NhE21qcjtu8o1_500.gif

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to disagree thar. Fondue is fuckin awesome.

Can't ya let me troll a bit? I don't do it often.

Lub me some good fondu or cheesy soup.

HuskerInSecLand

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every fancy shmancey ethnic restaurant in this country uses Wisconsin cheese. Fact. Wisconsin cheese wins damn near every award at the expo over in Europe every year. Fact. Wisconsin makes like 75% of the cheese made in America. Fact.

We are the greatest state ever because of our cheese.

:popeye:

Yeah, like those Taco Bell Cantina Bowls!

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wisconsin stole beer, brats, and cheese from Germany.

HuskerInSecLand

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is Wisconsin's ethnicity historically? Or do they have one?

I know Minn's had a lot of Swedes. Is Wisconsin the same?

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wisconsin has the highest percentage of German heritage in the country. Something like 85%. In fact, Kindergarten(German word) started in Wisconsin. Generally speaking, the history goes something like this...

Southern Wisconsin(very very southern) gets settled by Englishmen for mining industry, quickly they are outnumbered by Welsh...Scottish...and Irish. Miners live underground and mine by digging and crawling around in shallow mines. Earn nickname "Badgers."

The lumber industry clears a lot of land throughout the state. Germans are the largest group to settle the cleared land and begin farming, but Poles, Irish, and some Scandinavians also arrive and in some areas they actually become more highly concentrated than Germans.

As Milwaukee develops, more and more Germans, Poles, and Irish arrive and grow families.

Later, Italians settle Milwaukee in significant numbers.

Of interesting note. The Iron Brigade during the Civil War had whole battalions of German and Irish immigrants who barely spoke a word of English.

Wisconsin also has the greatest population of Native Americans of any state east of the Mississippi. I think we also had one of the highest concentration of Hmong and other Asians arrive after the Vietnam War. Both are fairly significant cultural issues right now.

HuskerInSecLand

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I find that stuff interesting.

Omaha had different waves of immigrants too and you can still see the different cultures in different areas (at least could ten years ago when I was there) of South Omaha.

Immigrants moved to that area for the jobs at the packing plants and railroad and you have the cultural influences still like Italian (neighborhood steak houses) a lot of Polish and Bohemian influence in bakeries, restaurants and neighborhood taverns and catholic and Lutheran churches / social halls.

The other areas of Omaha not so much because West is newer, white flight in the North cost it most it's history and East is well, Carter Lake :L

South Omaha has had a very high influx of Hispanics and I can see that a lot of history is being lost due to white flight there now. I just hope it doesn't completely erase it and Hispanics become another flavor of the melting pot there.

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I find that stuff interesting.

Omaha had different waves of immigrants too and you can still see the different cultures in different areas (at least could ten years ago when I was there) of South Omaha.

Immigrants moved to that area for the jobs at the packing plants and railroad and you have the cultural influences still like Italian (neighborhood steak houses) a lot of Polish and Bohemian influence in bakeries, restaurants and neighborhood taverns and catholic and Lutheran churches / social halls.

The other areas of Omaha not so much because West is newer, white flight in the North cost it most it's history and East is well, Carter Lake :L

South Omaha has had a very high influx of Hispanics and I can see that a lot of history is being lost due to white flight there now. I just hope it doesn't completely erase it and Hispanics become another flavor of the melting pot there.

Me too. I guess I left out the immigration of African Americans to the Milwaukee area because they were already Americans, and it's kind of well known how people moved up from the south. It's hard for me to really gauge the Hispanic influx in Wisconsin. It's here, but obviously I think it's probably a lot more noticeable in Milwaukee. With Chicago being such a huge center for them, though, I think Wisconsin has received a little less than a lot of other states.

As for white flight. Milwaukee is rated the most segregated city and metro area in the country. The suburbs are very white by comparison to other areas. I think that's changing a little.

HuskerInSecLand

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In Omaha you have the eastern side of the city as the original town (South Omaha was actually a seperate town annexed by Omaha early on).

The city grew west and as it did mid-town was pretty much white but the whites continued to move west as the neighborhoods integrated.

Within the last 20 years maybe the western growth has become integrated without the white flight, so the suburban areas are pretty much integrated.

North Omaha is somewhat integrated but segregated by socioeconomics. South as I said has had a very high influx of Hispanics and with them came the gangs. I moved out of South Omaha to a small town outside Omaha around 20 years ago because the gang problem was becoming imminent. North Omaha had had the same gang problem, only blood and crips for as long as I could remember than and I did not want to raise kids in that environment.

So anyway I digress. Omaha is/was very segregated in the original parts of the city but much more integrated in the newer.

I moved south to the Atlanta area around 15 years ago and was completely amazed by how integrated the city was. Then I moved to Tennessee and found that though most areas are integrated racism in a small element is still very strong and very dangerous.

With that said I guess the Atlanta area can not be considered a part of the south, it is very multi-cultural but as a manufacturers rep I did see a lot of areas and I do think racism in Georgia was no where near as prevalent as it was in Nebraska, at least the Omaha area.

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't spent a ton of time in Milwaukee, but I know it can be kind of a roulette wheel if you decide to hit the wrong area, even in broad daylight. UW-Milwaukee regularly reports student car jackings near or on campus.

Where I live right now is considered the third biggest metro area in the state. You have Milwaukee area, which is about 1.5 million. Madison area is about 550,000, and then Appleton/Fox Cities is 350,000, but is part of the Fox Valley area which runs along Highway 41 and the Fox River from Oshkosh to Green Bay; close to 600,000 people within an 45 minute commute, and a lot of people do commute from the southern range of the valley to the northern, so it unfortunately feels like a metro area these days. I have to hit the highways to get to work. It is really disappointing to feel like I moved to a large city.

There are a lot more minorities moving into the area right now, and I have to admit, there is a little bit of tension, because as you would expect there is some bad moving in with the every day folks. Heroin use went up something like 500% in the Fox Valley. I think they based the statistic on hospital treatments and busts, so it's probably subject to fluctuation based on product quality and police action.