• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Windows 8.1 to be release in October

mcro_rave_2001

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Microsoft has answered the request of users that were upset by the removal of the start button and the active tile screen with this latest version of Windows. Microsoft has added the start button back to desktop mode but it will only bring you back to the active tile start screen, plus Microsoft has added a feature so you can boot straight into desktop mode. As an Administrator it's still not good enough for me. I would like to see the windows 7 start button returned to windows 8, so that i can easily access the admin tools of window like control panel, printer, task manager, run, services, MSTSC, etc.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's all there on the start page of Windows 8. It takes some getting used to no doubt. I still prefer 7 to 8 but am getting more comfortable with 8 as I use it more. My biggest gripe is the whole flattening of everything, makes it look 3rd grade-ish. No need for a high powered graphics card now unless you need it for gaming.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually like windows 8. It has grown on me, I guess it is sometimes a pain in the butt to try and find tools such as the calculator and other programs. But once you figure out how to find it, it really isn't any more clicks than when you had the start button.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually like windows 8. It has grown on me, I guess it is sometimes a pain in the butt to try and find tools such as the calculator and other programs. But once you figure out how to find it, it really isn't any more clicks than when you had the start button.

Some of the admin tools are one or two more clicks than under any previous version of Windows.

mcro_rave_2001

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think the main thing i don't like about the start screen is there is no task bar to see what'sopen and what's not open.

One of the other problems i ran into with windows 8 is that IE seems to work in two different ways in desktop mode and the start screen, not sure if it's just me or if anyone else has noticed that.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think the main thing i don't like about the start screen is there is no task bar to see what'sopen and what's not open.

One of the other problems i ran into with windows 8 is that IE seems to work in two different ways in desktop mode and the start screen, not sure if it's just me or if anyone else has noticed that.

The lack of a task bar is frustrating until you learn it's now parked in the upper left corner and you have to move the pointer there to see it. And you are right about IE, it is two different versions, one for the modern interface and one for the desktop.

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Awesome... My work laptop is scheduled to be 're-freshed' this week to Windows 7...

mcro_rave_2001

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The lack of a task bar is frustrating until you learn it's now parked in the upper left corner and you have to move the pointer there to see it. And you are right about IE, it is two different versions, one for the modern interface and one for the desktop.

yea, i don't like that task bar hidden, and if i recall that bar is huge.

mcro_rave_2001

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Awesome... My work laptop is scheduled to be 're-freshed' this week to Windows 7...

you'll be okay i have ungraded 8 year old laptops and desktops to windows 7 from XP and they work fine. The one thing i would recommend you ask for it's to make sure your laptop is running the max RAM fora 32 bit OS which is 4GB.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mac OS >>>>>>> Windows

Apple >>>>>>>>Microsoft

In your opinion. Since both use the same hardware there isn't much difference between the two anymore. Both do the same thing in the end. And where do you place Linux? There are some slick Linux distros out there that put both Windows and MAC OS to shame.

mcro_rave_2001

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In your opinion. Since both use the same hardware there isn't much difference between the two anymore. Both do the same thing in the end. And where do you place Linux? There are some slick Linux distros out there that put both Windows and MAC OS to shame.

I like Linux, but i think you're average end user might have some problems with Linux, mostly because Linux best for command line ninjas.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you'll be okay i have ungraded 8 year old laptops and desktops to windows 7 from XP and they work fine. The one thing i would recommend you ask for it's to make sure your laptop is running the max RAM fora 32 bit OS which is 3GB.

Fixed, 32 bit systems can't access but 3GB, the last 1GB is wasted. What Windows 7 needs for aero graphics though may not be available on older systems. I have a XP system that will run 7 albeit without aero graphics because the video chip controller is too outdated. Even putting in a high video card won't help. I'll make it a Linux system after next April

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Linux, but i think you're average end user might have some problems with Linux, mostly because Linux best for command line ninjas.

Not really, Ubuntu is like using a MAC for the most part, Zorin (an Ubuntu derivative) comes with three desktops, XP, Windows 7 or MAC OS. Take your pick.

mcro_rave_2001

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fixed, 32 bit systems can't access but 3GB, the last 1GB is wasted. What Windows 7 needs for aero graphics though may not be available on older systems. I have a XP system that will run 7 albeit without aero graphics because the video chip controller is too outdated. Even putting in a high video card won't help. I'll make it a Linux system after next April

actually it can access more than 3GB, i have many PC here that have like 3.5 or 3.7 GB of usable memory. Plus if you just put 3GB in you won't get the total 3GB you'll still get like 2.5 or something depending on your system and that's why you put 4GB in....Also i believe it's best practice to always use an even amount of RAM.

NDHoosier101

Reigning "Last to post" Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,338.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Microsoft has answered the request of users that were upset by the removal of the start button and the active tile screen with this latest version of Windows. Microsoft has added the start button back to desktop mode but it will only bring you back to the active tile start screen, plus Microsoft has added a feature so you can boot straight into desktop mode. As an Administrator it's still not good enough for me. I would like to see the windows 7 start button returned to windows 8, so that i can easily access the admin tools of window like control panel, printer, task manager, run, services, MSTSC, etc.

Agreed, not having the start button slows shit down a ton. I want a full functionality start button...employees we give new computers too have trouble finding how to shut it off. :L and it really isn't that easy to find at first.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
actually it can access more than 3GB, i have many PC here that have like 3.5 or 3.7 GB of usable memory. Plus if you just put 3GB in you won't get the total 3GB you'll still get like 2.5 or something depending on your system and that's why you put 4GB in....Also i believe it's best practice to always use an even amount of RAM.

3GB is still an even number when you consider what it really means. And 3.5 is really the upper limit. I just don't think it's worth it for XP or home systems running 32 bit to have 4 when 2 is sufficient for most home use. On my 4GB system I hardly ever get over 2 GB in use, even when processing video files. Maybe gamers need the extra RAM but I have yet see how 6 or 8 GB benefits the average user.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed, not having the start button slows shit down a ton. I want a full functionality start button...employees we give new computers too have trouble finding how to shut it off. :L and it really isn't that easy to find at first.

There are several 3rd party add ons for Windows 8 that will bring back the start button, most are free. Some even bring back the classic Windows 98 start. :L