• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Windham Weaponry?

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm buying a new AR in the near future and have been trying to decide which I want to go with. I was pretty much sold on a S&W M&P 15 Sport til I ran across these Windham Weaponry Carbons (lifetime warranty) and I've noticed it's almost hard to find a bad review on them. I'm wanting to go fairly basic and not spend more than $700-$800 (found the S&W and Windham for around $600 ea.), figure I could add to it as I go. Anyway, long story short, anybody know anything about or had personal experience with anything Windham Weaponry? Looks like a newer-ish startup company formed by mostly ex-Bushmaster employees. I kinda like what they've got going on.

15969-DEFAULT-l.jpg

Caynine29

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A buddy of mine had one. I don't recall him saying it was that cheap, though. I want to say he paid closer to $800 for his, but it could have been a step up from the base model. Didn't really get to shoot it much and I'm certainly no "authority" on firearms testing. Lol, but the only real difference to me was that it was lighter (of course, when I replaced the plastic handguard, I kinda cheaped out and got a heavier quad-rail) and felt a little more chintzy than my M&P Sport, but seemed to perform just the same. I've always been leery of polymer lowers. I haven't actually ever heard any first-hand accounts of them failing, though.

Does it come "optics ready" like the one pictured? If so... you're probably going to surpass the price point of the S&W (if only by a little bit) adding new ones. The S&W comes with an Magpul MBUS flip-up rear sight and standard A2 front sight. Also, you gotta remember the Sport has no forward assist or dust cover. In case those things are important to ya.

My guess is you get to do a lot more shooting than I do. So, take my words with a grain of salt. So far, I love my Sport. Assuming you feel the Windham will hold up, though... I'd say don't sweat the details and go with whichever you can find cheapest.

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A buddy of mine had one. I don't recall him saying it was that cheap, though. I want to say he paid closer to $800 for his, but it could have been a step up from the base model. Didn't really get to shoot it much and I'm certainly no "authority" on firearms testing. Lol, but the only real difference to me was that it was lighter (of course, when I replaced the plastic handguard, I kinda cheaped out and got a heavier quad-rail) and felt a little cheaper feeling than my M&P Sport, but seemed to perform just the same. I've always been leery of polymer lowers. I haven't actually ever heard any first-hand accounts of them failing, though.

Does it come "optics ready" like the one pictured? If so... you're probably going to surpass the price point of the S&W (if only by a little bit) adding new ones. The S&W comes with an Magpul MBUS flip-up rear sight and standard A2 front sight. Also, you gotta remember the Sport has no forward assist or dust cover. In case those things are important to ya.

My guess is you get to do a lot more shooting than I do. So, take my words with a grain of salt. So far, I love my Sport. Assuming you feel the Windham will hold up, though... I'd say don't sweat the details and go with whichever you can find cheapest.

The "Carbon" model (they use carbon fiber instead of normal polymer) does come "optics ready" but I have a couple electro scopes and a red dot I'm not using at the moment. That was part of my decision to start with more of a base model than a more tricked out one. My buddy that owns the gun shop I go too says they're both awesome, so he was no help lol. I do like the idea of staying brand loyal with S&W but something intrigues me about what Windham has going on. I'm just like a damn woman when it comes to making decisions. :gaah:

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I have a WW BCG in my AR. So far so good -- also heard a lot of good reviews about them. From what I know, they used to be Bushmaster. A few years ago they sold, or split, with Bushmaster and began making weapons under the WW name but using the old machines that made Bushmaster rifles.

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I have a WW BCG in my AR. So far so good -- also heard a lot of good reviews about them. From what I know, they used to be Bushmaster. A few years ago they sold, or split, with Bushmaster and began making weapons under the WW name but using the old machines that made Bushmaster rifles.

I think I've decided that I'm going with Windham, pretty much every gun guy I know has nothing but good things to say about them. Hopefully it happens sooner than later, I'm like a kid at Christmas when it comes to getting a new gun.

Ron-Swanson-is-excited.gif

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I've decided that I'm going with Windham, pretty much every gun guy I know has nothing but good things to say about them. Hopefully it happens sooner than later, I'm like a kid at Christmas when it comes to getting a new gun.

Ron-Swanson-is-excited.gif

I say go for it (assuming you don't just want to build your own). I've been trying to decide what gun I'm going to go for next. I'm thinking either a .22LR rifle or a Mosin; though I have been also eying the S&W Sheild or an AK variant.

Caynine29

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say go for it (assuming you don't just want to build your own). I've been trying to decide what gun I'm going to go for next. I'm thinking either a .22LR rifle or a Mosin; though I have been also eying the S&W Sheild or an AK variant.

I've never owned a striker-fired pistol and was actually considering a Shield for a carry weapon (the P220 is just too big and heavy). But then, being the fanboy that I am, I messed around and discovered the Sig P320... and I think I've just found my next purchase. Lol.

P1060328-900x600.jpg

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I absolutely love my Shield 9mm. Shot over 600 rounds through it so far and the only malfunction I had was with one Tulammo Brass Maxx round that the bullet wasn't seated in properly leaving a lip around it and would hang on the feed ramp.