• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Wideman in the Hospital with With Leg Hematoma

ritari330

Only a myth
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wideman is currently in a Washington hospital with a significant leg hematoma as a result of a hit Tuesday by Carolina's Tuomo Ruutu.

A hematoma is caused by a contusion where blood escapes or leaks from an artery, vein or capillary into soft tissue, such as a muscle, where it does not belong.

It can cause significant swelling and pressure, which often times can only be released by making an incision to drain the blood from the soft tissue.

Sources tell TSN that is precisely the situation in which Wideman now finds himself. While no one knows exactly when, or if, he might return to the Caps lineup, it's more likely to be classified as out indefinitely as opposed to day-to-day.

McKenzie: Caps' Wideman in hospital with leg hematoma

John Erskine also left tonights game :frusty:....Really need Poti and Green to get healthy now because I really really really don't want Sloan starting a playoff game

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He'll be fine...I'm pretty sure it's only a few days type thing? As it says, just gotta drain it. Probably a day or two off of practice and he'll be back.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it's more serious my guess is acute compartment syndrome. Now that...that's a BIG DEAL. Basically they have to flay open your leg to make sure that the pressure doesn't kill the muscle tissue. I'm assuming he got nailed in the leg with a puck? That would do it. Any type of blunt force trauma to one of the compartments in the lower leg or forearm can do it. Causes the muscle to swell at a fast rate, but the fascia that holds the muscles in it's compartment strangles it, can't get bloodflow, if you ignore it you can lose your limb. That's a long term thing because it's basically cutting into the muscle.

ritari330

Only a myth
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He got hit right in the leg on a hit from Tuomo Ruutu and then his leg kinda slamed onto the ice as well. I'm trying to find a video of it, but no luck

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
If it's more serious my guess is acute compartment syndrome. Now that...that's a BIG DEAL. Basically they have to flay open your leg to make sure that the pressure doesn't kill the muscle tissue. I'm assuming he got nailed in the leg with a puck? That would do it. Any type of blunt force trauma to one of the compartments in the lower leg or forearm can do it. Causes the muscle to swell at a fast rate, but the fascia that holds the muscles in it's compartment strangles it, can't get bloodflow, if you ignore it you can lose your limb. That's a long term thing because it's basically cutting into the muscle.

he got nailed in the quad with a Tuomo Ruutu.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huh...if it's the upper leg then it's not compartment syndrome (I'm pretty sure at least...), because there aren't any compartments up there. Myositis ossificans is what you worry about in the quad, but that's not it because he was immediately treated. Probably just a nasty hematoma that needs to be leaked out. The issue with it however, is if it's bad enough and gets hit again too soon you can get the aforementioned myositis ossificans, and then they have to cut that part of your muscle out because basically, bone grows in the muscle belly. So, if a bad enough contusion/hematoma, he'll rest a few days (though up to a few weeks if bad enough) and probably play with some extra padding there. All depends on how conservative the trainer/doc is.

ritari330

Only a myth
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for the info Pix! CSN said that Chimera had the same injury when he was in the minors and he was out for 2 months, so that worries me. But I hope you're right

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Knuble said Wideman has been sending "gruesome" pictures to teammates of the injury.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for the info Pix! CSN said that Chimera had the same injury when he was in the minors and he was out for 2 months, so that worries me. But I hope you're right

No problem. I could be off base with this, but I guess it really depends on the severity of the hematoma. I've seen a few in my limited experience and they range from a little swollen to "HOLY CRAP THERES A GRAPEFRUIT ON YOUR THIGH"

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh jeez...I just tried to google search for a decent pic of what a hematoma can become...and there was definitely one on the ball sac.

Winged_Wheel88

ND 14 UM 45
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No problem. I could be off base with this, but I guess it really depends on the severity of the hematoma. I've seen a few in my limited experience and they range from a little swollen to "HOLY CRAP THERES A GRAPEFRUIT ON YOUR THIGH"

Don't get darkstone started on grapefruit.