• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why no uproar when these schools sold their 3rd tier rights?

goDAWGSsicem

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The University of Georgia has singed a lucrative eight year deal with ISP Sports worth $92.8 million. The $11.6 million per year payout is the largest ISP had inked with a collegiate program, topping Ohio State***8217;s current deal.

BooYa!

The only difference I see is that Texas will have a dedicated network, like channel 482 or something. While Georgia, at least, doesn't have such of a channel.

Last edited by a moderator:

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scout.com: Big12 way behind in selling 3rd tier rights, multimedia

However, Texas sells their 3rd tier rights for $300M and all of a sudden, Texas is greedy? Just so you know, those schools do not share one penny with other conference members........

You are right. Texas deserves to get every penny of their 3rd tier. The problem though was the conference was not sharing 1st and 2nd tier equally. Why everyone agreed and voted on such a bad business practice can only be sumed up to someone getting swindled because they are stupid.

Texas got rich, as did OU and Nebraska sure liked the ideal when they was winning big in the 90s but thats all the past. Equal sharing will keep the BIG XII alive and allow the other schools do do what they want with their third tier like KSU going on the net with their own network.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BooYa!

The only difference I see is that Texas will have a dedicated network, like channel 482 or something. While Georgia, at least, doesn't have such of a channel.

Florida will very soon, when they get their rights back from the Sunsports network or whatever it's called in a few years. And early reports are that they are very interested in the LHN model. Texas believes this will be the future of content delivery for schools, and they may be right.

IrishFutbol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Wasn't ESPN trying to get the Texas-Texas Tech game onto the LHN?

Isn't that kind of a conflict of interest with their revenue sharing deal?

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wasn't ESPN trying to get the Texas-Texas Tech game onto the LHN?

Isn't that kind of a conflict of interest with their revenue sharing deal?

How so? The LHN is third tier rights.....meaning first and second tier have already turned the game down, so it's not being televised anyway.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Q&A with Texas athletic director DeLossDodds

University of Texas athletic director DeLoss Dodds, 74, may be the man most responsible for saving the Big 12 Conference. HARRY CABLUCK / Associated Press file

By JOHN E. HOOVER World Sports Writer
Published: 10/5/20112:29 AM
Last Modified: 10/5/20118:31 AM

Related Story: Texas' DeLoss Dodds: "We're good people. And we do it the right way."

On Monday, Tulsa World sports writer John E. Hoover sat down for an exclusive Q&A with University of Texas athletic director DeLoss Dodds.

When you set your goals for the Longhorn Network five years ago or whatever, is this kind of what you envisioned, or have the goals changed over the years?

"The goals didn't change, but it's changed. When we started, and I don't know what it was, 5 years, 6 years, we were looking at Fox and our second-tier stuff, and they had all our baseball, softball, volleyball, swimming, they had everything, and did nothing with it. They just warehoused it.

"So we talked about, 'We need to get that back. We need to put it on TV so that these kids can get some exposure. No sense in warehousing it. We ought to have it out there where parents can see it, where coaches can see it, high school coaches.' So that's where it started. We assumed we were probably going to have to pay for it. We were gonna have to hire people to do it or whatever. We assumed it was gonna cost us money.

"I called Bill Byrne over at A&M and said, 'You know, I don't think we've got enough money or inventory to put on a 24/7 channel, but are you interested in helping us be a part of it?' And he pretty much said no. So we just kept digging and digging and digging and Fox got a little interested and said they'd do it and that they'd pay us, and we said, 'Well, that's good stuff.' Then ESPN got interested and they said they'd do it and pay us more. So we are where we are."

With the Big 12 announcement (Monday) that equal revenue sharing is now affirmed for Tier 1 and Tier 2 television revenue, can you explain why Texas won't share any of its LHN money or Tier 3 money?

"It's never been shared before. There's never been any there. We've worked it. We've made something good out of it. Nobody else in the country shares it, except Big Ten and Pac-12 because they did conference stuff. They did conference networks. Florida doesn't share their third-tier."

A question I've gotten a lot is why the Big 12 presidents and chancellors can't ask for a vote on sharing Tier 3. Is it simply a case of not being on the table for a vote, or how does that work?

"It's never been on the table. It's just never been there."

If they wanted to, could they say, "Let's vote on this?"

"They could vote on it. But they might not get it. You know? It's just never been a part of the deal. It'd be like us going to Oklahoma State and saying, 'Hey, you got $160 million from Boone (Pickens). I think we ought to have a share of that.' They'd say, 'Well, that's not fair.' There are just some things that are done differently. We're not gonna share Oklahoma State's money, and they're not gonna share our Tier 3 stuff."

On the academic side of it, those (LHN) revenues will be distributed to various parts of the university. Is that why it's not up for negotiation?

"Yeah. Bill Powers, our president, and I talked about it. They're 10 percent of the network, and they're gonna get 50 percent of the revenue. Over a five-year period of time, that's $30 million. And we've done nothing on this campus that's been better for the relationship between academics and athletics than $30 million."

Are you happy the Red River Rivalry will be in the Cotton Bowl through 2015, and are you interested in keeping it there longer?

"I love having it there. I like the number of seats. It's in the 90s, and they can make it almost 100 if they want to. I like the weather that time of year, so being outdoors is good. I think having it where the state fair is is just over the top. There's no greater venue on a given day in America than that game on that day."

Do you ever see it going to campuses?

"Joe (Castiglione, athletic director at OU) and I have talked about that. Circumstances - you know, conference things - might dictate something different, but I don't see - I don't want to do it, and I know Joe doesn't want to do it. So it'd take some circumstances outside of our control to make that happen."

Did you ever get concerned during the last 18 months you might lose that game, especially with Bob Stoops' comments a couple weeks ago that it wasn't necessary and things change?

"It could have happened. But ... we would have gone down fighting to keep the game. It's just that important to Oklahoma and Texas. I don't mean the schools, I mean the states."

What about Texas A&M? Do you see a way that game can be saved?

"Well, they're out of the conference and we're scheduled up for 10 years. So I think it's different."

Isn't that game as important to Texas, too?

"That game - the rivalry game for us has always been Oklahoma. The A&M game's been a great game and all of that. And we may play 'em. But it's not something that we have to do. I think the Oklahoma game is something we have to do."

So A&M could yet be saved?

"You know coaches. You talk to coach (Bob) Stoops all the time. You know that when they're looking at nonconference football games, they're trying to figure out how to best build their season off their nonconference. So you don't want to play, you know, Ohio State, USC and Notre Dame in nonconference. If you've got young kids, you've got to grow 'em up, they've got to have confidence, you've got to build it for the season and for the conference things. So coaches are very concerned about who they play in nonconference."

On the Big 12 board's decision (Monday) to implement equal revenue sharing, are you pleased with that?

"Absolutely. We made the motion."

But did you see it coming? Was this something that was going to happen to the Big 12 eventually regardless?

"The thing that tipped me, our network helped. The other thing that changed my mind about it was the formula we had, if we kept that formula with the new TV contract we had with Fox and then we're obviously gonna get a new one with ABC/ESPN or somebody (in 2016) for the Tier 1 stuff, the money would have been so big. The division of monies between the institutions in the conference would be almost grotesque. So everybody's gonna get a big bump. We're getting a big bump with the Fox thing. And I think we're going from $13 million to $17 million. So it's a good thing."

Whether the criticism is coming from Texas A&M or Nebraska or the college football world at large, the perception is that Texas is being painted as the bad guy, the evil empire or whatever. Longhorn Network probably helps perpetuate that. Does that concern you as the man in charge here, that the Texas brand is taking a PR hit?

"We're good people. And we do it the right way. And we've got 550 kids that we love, and we treat them the way they're supposed to be treated. And we're in it for kids. We didn't do the Pac-12 (because of) the kids. It wasn't money, it wasn't anything else. We don't want to put our kids in airplanes and have them in airplanes half their life going back and forth.

"We've worked hard to save the Big 12 twice now. We happen to have a network which, we did, we told everybody for five years that, 'We're gonna do it, we're gonna do it, you ought to do it, too' - you know, we told 'em. Any time TV came up in a room, we said, 'We're gonna do our own third-tier network.' We've been open about it. And today they're looking for reasons, or somebody to blame. A&M's looking for a reason, and they've made their reason that we've got a second game on the network. You know? Nebraska had three last year. I've not heard one word about that.

"But it's an issue this year. And I've been a bad guy before, and I'm at an age where it doesn't bother me. We're doing the right thing. Every decision we're making, we're doing the right thing. We're doing the right thing for the conference, we're doing the right thing for the kids. If somebody wants to paint us as some awful people, then let 'em paint us."

Someone at the Big 12 office told me it was "laughable" that Texas A&M is leaving because of financial reasons; that they're leaving to get out of the shadow of Texas.

"I don't know. I can't answer that."

You don't want to address A&M leaving to get out of Texas' shadow?

"They've made their decision and we wish them well. That's about all I can say."

It's got to be disappointing to lose them.

"Yeah, it's disappointing. Our conference is a great conference. It's gonna be a great conference. But they made it better."

Do you like the expansion committee and the work that's being done so far?

"I'm on it."

I know, but do you like what's being done?

"What's that's kid's name, Joe Castiglione, from Oklahoma? Ha ha. No, we're having fun. I love Joe, by the way. He's really good. And Mike Holder. I love Mike Holder."

It's got to be hard work.

"No, it's fun."

Is it exciting to think you might be reshaping the conference for the next 20, 50, 100 years?

"You know what? I'm 74. I'm kind of past being excited. I'm just for getting the job done so I can get back to being in this department and working with kids and doing what I love."

That's still the most rewarding part for you?

"Oh yeah. That's what we're about. That's what we do."

But building up the Texas brand ...

"That's part of my responsibility. And we do it pretty well. Really well. Just, you know, we're doing a good job. I think we're doing a good job. And I think we're being rewarded for that. And therefore, people don't like us very much. So we can live with that. We just keep doing the right thing for kids.

"And Oklahoma's doing that. Oklahoma's doing a great job. And the relationships between the two athletics departments is really good.

IrishFutbol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
How so? The LHN is third tier rights.....meaning first and second tier have already turned the game down, so it's not being televised anyway.

Wasn't there something else to this though? Don't remember exactly what was going on, but if the game wasn't being aired elsewhere, why would Texas Tech need to be convinced to play on LHN?

Volbound1700

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nebraska leaves and cries Texas
Colorado leaves and cries Texas
Texas A&M leaves and cries Texas
OU tries to leave to Pac12 and cries Texas
Missouri leaves and cries Texas

At some point Texas fans you have to point the finger at your school. Don't worry there is always room on the Texas A&M bandwagon. They will be the only state school that matters when Missouri and eventually Oklahoma come over to the SEC.

TexasFight98VI

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Nebraska leaves and cries Texas
Colorado leaves and cries Texas
Texas A&M leaves and cries Texas
OU tries to leave to Pac12 and cries Texas
Missouri leaves and cries Texas

At some point Texas fans you have to point the finger at your school. Don't worry there is always room on the Texas A&M bandwagon. They will be the only state school that matters when Missouri and eventually Oklahoma come over to the SEC.

No we don't. What is to blame here is what MarkOU said: The way the Big 12 Bylaws were set in place when the conference was 1st created is what is wrong with the conference. Once again, this unequal revenue sharing was what Nebraska demanded and they got what they wanted. Eventually, it came to bite them and the conference in the ass. Plus, as I've stated before, schools have been selling their 3rd tier rights long before Texas did and these schools have not shared one penny with any other conference members. So again, give me some facts on why Texas is tearing this conference up if they are abiding by Big 12 bylaws and are just doing what other schools have been doing before them. Don't give me your opinion, give me some facts........

nolehusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,614.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This isn't just over 3rd tier rights now matter how much you want to try and make it about that.

TexasFight98VI

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This isn't just over 3rd tier rights now matter how much you want to try and make it about that.

So what's it over then? The major uproar right now is the LHN and how Texas is getting paid $300M from ESPN and how unfair it is. So what's the uproar Cornboy?

nolehusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,614.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what's it over then? The major uproar right now is the LHN and how Texas is getting paid $300M from ESPN and how unfair it is. So what's the uproar Cornboy?

First off, calling people names isn't the best way to get taken seriously.

That is the uproar right now. What about the uproar when Nebraska was thinking about leaving and how the Big 12 commish (a Texas Aulmni) was making a demand that they give an answer with in a week on if they would stay or not, but didn't make Mizzou or CU because that's what Texas wanted. There have been many more issues concerning Texas over the years. I'm not going to sit here and try and point them out, mainly because it's pointless

Volbound1700

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is about power and stability. Colorado and Nebraska left last year before the LHN came into play.

Texas A&M clearly didn't like the Pac16 option last year and I think that was the first killer for A&M. Add the Longhorn Network and more attempts to claim power and A&M just said to hell with it. By that time, most of their alumni and fanbase wanted a move to the SEC.

Missouri is sick of the crap as well. It is about power, poor PR and communication efforts by those in power, greed, and stability.

It is also pretty telling that OU's Bob Stoops commented a few weeks ago that they were open to ending the RRSO if they could find a home. OU would be gone right now had the Pac12 said yes.

The thing is, had Texas sat down and began to listen to others instead of blame the other schools, this whole issue may have been a lot different.

nolehusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,614.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is about power and stability. Colorado and Nebraska left last year before the LHN came into play.

Texas A&M clearly didn't like the Pac16 option last year and I think that was the first killer for A&M. Add the Longhorn Network and more attempts to claim power and A&M just said to hell with it. By that time, most of their alumni and fanbase wanted a move to the SEC.

Missouri is sick of the crap as well. It is about power, poor PR and communication efforts by those in power, greed, and stability.

It is also pretty telling that OU's Bob Stoops commented a few weeks ago that they were open to ending the RRSO if they could find a home. OU would be gone right now had the Pac12 said yes.

The thing is, had Texas sat down and began to listen to others instead of blame the other schools, this whole issue may have been a lot different.

Rep. I don't know if there is any other way to put it.

goDAWGSsicem

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Florida will very soon, when they get their rights back from the Sunsports network or whatever it's called in a few years. And early reports are that they are very interested in the LHN model. Texas believes this will be the future of content delivery for schools, and they may be right.

Link.

TexasFight98VI

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Texas A&M didn't like the Pac 16 option, so they chose to look into the SEC instead. Once the Pac 16 option was shot down by Texas politics, all schools looked to save the Big 12. Once A&M found out they would be receiving $20M a year from the new TV contracts, staying in the Big 12 was much more appealing than the SEC. Please provide a link where the University has issued a statement blaming the other schools. Last year, when the BIg 12 schools sat down to hammer out revenue sharing, Texas, OU and A&M were all three adamant about not sharing revenue equally. Once again, and I"m not speaking Chinese or spanish, come at me with facts, not your opinion.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wasn't there something else to this though? Don't remember exactly what was going on, but if the game wasn't being aired elsewhere, why would Texas Tech need to be convinced to play on LHN?

They have to sign a contract and get paid for the game if it's going to be televised, no matter what tier it's on. They turned it down.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love the "Let's blame Texas" crowd, because they NEVER bring anything to the discussion. It's just Texas fault, it doesn't matter that the facts say otherwise.

NU was told point blank that if they stayed in the Big 12, so would Texas. They left, Texas stayed.....that's not the fault of Texas, nobody forced NU out.

CU has wanted to be in the PAC 10 for YEARS, this is not something new. MU has wanted to be in the Big 10 for YEARS, this is nothing new.

Texas A&M is tired of being little brother, nothing more, nothing less.

What all these schools have in common is that they found the first thing they could to justify leaving, and sold it to you suckers hook line and sinker.

I have YET to see what Texas did that forced everyone to leave. I have YET to see a single rule or bylaw broken by Texas. Hell, I have YET to see Texas do something EVERY SCHOOL in this conference wasn't already doing at the time!!!!