• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why Michigan will win 10 games in 2015 - ESPN Insider

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Part 1 of 2

The reasons why Jim Harbaugh can lead Michigan Wolverines football to 10 wins in 2015
by KC Joyner

The consensus opinion on Jim Harbaugh's year one impact as the Michigan Wolverines head coach is that he will improve upon last season's 5-7 mark.

That may be considered faint praise since last year's win total was tied for the second-lowest since Bo Schembechler took over the program in 1969, but the truth of the matter is, this program could clear the double-digit win bar in 2015.

Here are 10 reasons Michigan could post at least 10 wins this season.

(Note: Unless otherwise specified, the metrics referenced below are from games against Power 5 opponents and the rankings indicate Michigan's placement among the 65 Power 5 teams.)

1. Upgrade at quarterback

The Wolverines have many options to upgrade a 43.2 Total QBR mark that finished 10th in the Big Ten.

The leading candidate after spring practice is Shane Morris, but Jake Rudock could end up under center at the start of the 2015 season. The Iowa transfer was tied for third in the Big Ten in Total QBR in 2014 (72.5) and has the benefit of moving to a play-calling system that is conceptually quite similar to the one he used.

2. A deceptive amount of experience in its pass-catching corps

The Wolverines completed only 189 passes in a 12-game slate last year (ranked tied for 11th in the Big Ten) and lost 62 of them when Devin Funchess declared early for the NFL draft. They bring back four players who racked up at least 10 receptions last year. The leader among this group is Amara Darboh. He posted a first down or touchdown on 72.4 percent of receptions against Power 5-caliber competition, a mark that ranked fourth among Big Ten wide receivers with at least 20 receptions.

3. Impact plays from the defensive front seven

The Maize and Blue return four starters from a front seven that ranked second in the Big Ten in tackles for loss per game. This group was also primarily responsible for Michigan finishing third in the conference in sacks per game (2.8). A repeat of that latter number could be possible because of the addition of five-star recruit Jabrill Peppers, who moved to safety this spring but looks poised to make an impact all over the field. Harbaugh gave Peppers an "A-plus" grade for his spring practice efforts, a showing that made Peppers one of the Big Ten's top five freshman breakout players.

4. Tough run defense

Michigan's defense should also be able to count on its ability to stop the run. Last season the Wolverines held five Power 5 teams to under 100 yards rushing in a game. To put that performance into perspective, there were only eight other Power 5 teams that equaled or surpassed this mark, and no other team had more than six games of this caliber.

5. Improved turnover volume

One area where the Wolverines defense struggled badly last season was turnover creation, as they ranked next to last in the Big Ten in interceptions (four) and tied for last in forced fumbles. New defensive coordinator D.J. Durkin should be a big help here. In his two seasons at Florida, Durkin led a platoon that ranked 16th among Power 5 teams in turnovers forced per game (1.89). He may not get Michigan's defense to that level in one season but even an improvement to par would significantly increase the turnover volume.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Part 2 of 2

6. Improved special teams play

This may be the area where Harbaugh can have the biggest impact in his first year. During his Stanford tenure (2007-10), the Cardinal special teams ranked 10th nationally in the ESPN Stats & Information special teams Expected Points Added (STEPA) metric. This statistic measures the scoreboard impact of plays, and Stanford's 116.9 STEPA mark during this time frame indicates it added approximately 2.3 points per game to its final score.

Harbaugh was just as effective in this area during his time with the San Francisco 49ers, as their 79.0 STEPA mark was tied for second in the NFL over the past four years.

These improvements were no accident, as Harbaugh's staff places a heavy emphasis on coaching up special teams. This should lead the Wolverines to a significant upgrade over their 3.5 STEPA mark last season (ranked 10th in the Big Ten).

7. Makings of a strong rushing attack

Michigan brings back four starters from an offensive line that finished the 2014 season on a roll. The Wolverines ranked 25th in rushing yards per game from November through the end of the season (186). A lot of this was due to big plays, as Michigan ranked seventh in percentage of rushing plays that gained 10 or more yards in that time frame (7.8 percent). There is no guarantee that this group gets back to this level but given this recent performance history, it looks to be a good omen for a coach whose calling card is a power rushing attack.

8. Top 20-caliber recruits

Former head coach Brady Hoke may not have turned this program around but he did post three straight top-18 recruiting classes that have left this roster with plenty of talented players.

9. Highly favorable schedule

No Big Ten schedule is going to be easy but Michigan's slate has plenty of favorable elements. They play four teams that ended the 2014 season with losing records (Oregon State, Indiana, UNLV and Northwestern). Two of their opponents (Rutgers and Maryland) return only 10 starters, a mark that is tied for last in the Big Ten. Michigan also benefits from facing Michigan State, BYU and Ohio State, three of the toughest matchups on their schedule, at Michigan Stadium.

10. Harbaugh's motivational skills

Some coaches are better suited than others to quickly turn programs around and Harbaugh definitely falls into this category. His motivational skills were on display at Michigan's spring game and are the type of thing that will push an underachieving team to play to its talent level early and often.

Bottom line

Talent normally trumps all and Michigan's roster certainly has plenty. Add that to the favorable schedule and it means the Wolverines can post double-digit wins for only the third time since 2003.

Brasky

Till We Can't Be Beat. WON'T. BE. BEAT.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I said. 7 wins. Lucky to win 8.

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Utah L
Oregon State W
UNLV W
BYU L
@Maryland W
Northwestern W
MSU L
@Minnesota W
Rutgers W
@Indiana W
@Penn St. L
Ohio St. L

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Utah L
Oregon State W
UNLV W
BYU L
@Maryland W
Northwestern W
MSU L
@Minnesota W
Rutgers W
@Indiana W
@Penn St. L
Ohio St. L
Thats what I've got brasky Utah is A tough match up for Michigan right off the bat. I'm fully expecting A lot of disappointment in ann arbor. ESPN just continues to disgrace itself as a sports network. I don't think the even pay attention to what happens on and off the field anymore. I think they just write strictly for ratings :L

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Utah is a solid squad.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have always been a Rudock fan. I would rather have him instead of Sunshine. Michigan got a strong QB in him.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously guys? WTF is with this bullshit? All those teams are terrible. I'm seriously wondering if anyone here has every seen a football. Harbaugh is worth at least 15 wins, just ask the 49ers.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Utah L
Oregon State W
UNLV W
BYU L
@Maryland W
Northwestern W
MSU L
@Minnesota W
Rutgers W
@Indiana W
@Penn St. L
Ohio St. L

That's probably a worst case scenario, as I've said before. 7 wins will be our basement but I'm saying it will end up being 8 or 9.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously guys? WTF is with this bullshit? All those teams are terrible. I'm seriously wondering if anyone here has every seen a football. Harbaugh is worth at least 15 wins, just ask the 49ers.
Exactly. I can't believe he thinks MSU will win despite their loss of talent -- and the fact that they have to actually play an away game 3 years later.

I'm just wondering what Spartan fans will do with all their memorabilia when Harbaugh starts winning? I mean, now that Michigan is the best basketball and football school in the state; what do you guys have left to celebrate?

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's probably a worst case scenario, as I've said before. 7 wins will be our basement but I'm saying it will end up being 8 or 9.

So how are you gonna call my predic bullshit then? I said 7 wins 8 if lucky. SMH

SpartyNash13

Spartan Dawg
Hoopla Cash
$ 963.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Utah L
Oregon State W
UNLV W
BYU L
@Maryland W
Northwestern W
MSU L
@Minnesota W
Rutgers W
@Indiana W
@Penn St. L
Ohio St. L

My only disagreement is BYU, I say that is a win, I have them at 8-4.

I think Minnesota will be a tough game for them. Minny beat them in AA last year, and a loss to MSU at home the week prior could deflate them for the next game.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. I can't believe he thinks MSU will win despite their loss of talent -- and the fact that they have to actually play an away game 3 years later.
Yeah, it's not like MSU has played 40 more games in Ann Arbor than in East Lansing. Having to play in East Lansing two years in a row is unfair and no one else ever has to do that. I mean MSU didn't play at Iowa and at Northwestern in back to back years in the last five years. Here's some Kleenex to wipe away your tears.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they just write strictly for ratings

Sadly, I think this is true of all news outlets these days. Ultimately, their jobs are to sell advertising, and they'll print/publish/broadcast whatever they think will give them the best opportunity to capture those sales.

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My only disagreement is BYU, I say that is a win, I have them at 8-4.

I think Minnesota will be a tough game for them. Minny beat them in AA last year, and a loss to MSU at home the week prior could deflate them for the next game.

Switch PSU and Minnesota and give them the BYU win. Michigan fans should be happy with that season.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So how are you gonna call my predic bullshit then? I said 7 wins 8 if lucky. SMH
I just like clicking the poop icon. I think 7 wins if unlucky, 10 if lucky.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, it's not like MSU has played 40 more games in Ann Arbor than in East Lansing. Having to play in East Lansing two years in a row is unfair and no one else ever has to do that. I mean MSU didn't play at Iowa and at Northwestern in back to back years in the last five years. Here's some Kleenex to wipe away your tears.
Just saying, it will be interesting to see the uses of those MSU flags, hats and shirts. I guess there will be a lot of new car washing rags out there.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
meeeechegan could get 10 W's this year...when did they drop down a division or two?:noidea:

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They will get 10 wins if you include the bowl game. Any semi-competent coach could get those wins. They don't need a top tier coach like UM to do that.