• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why Mac Is Still Around

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
the fact that you can defend andy greens play is all i need to know about how much of a devil homer you are! +/- the most stupid stat in hockey lol i love it!

MCDevils

NJ Devils: Sweden West
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
the fact that you can defend andy greens play is all i need to know about how much of a devil homer you are! +/- the most stupid stat in hockey lol i love it!

Andy Greene has sucked. I didn't say he's great, I simply said, and you proved again that you can't handle criticizing Kovalchuk. How can you argue that Ilya being a -17 is a non issue? He's only had 3 powerplay points the entire season which means he's directly created 8 ES goals so far, and is a minus17. That means a minimum of 25 even strength goals have been scored while Kovy is on the ice. The numbers probably even higher because I'm sure there were some even strength goals scored while he was on the ice but not the score sheet. SO if you can round that off to 30 ES goals against. After removing ppg against and the 2 shorties against, the Devils have allowed 65 even strength goals. That means Kovy was on the ice for almost half of the Devils ES goals against. Isn't he supposed to be the 100M man that dominates games?

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
1.5 million and he gets an NTC? and he isnt suppose to shoulder a load? wow i should send lou a tape of me playing maybe i will get paid! buuuuuuuuut ok

dude what im saying is before the season started EVERYONE said rolston/langs/salvador were the ones that should be shipped out of town (i'm guessing that means they werent too high on them to begin with) to then turn around and use their injuries as an out for the bad season is a joke!

-preseason- "we have to get under the cap we should look to get rid of rolston/salvador/langs"

-mid dec- "all these injuries we have/had to rolston/langs/salvador are really what hurt us"

see where you cant have it both ways?

i think your wrong i think if you have an EXCITING TEAM that competes and kovy scoring the building would sell out.

Why the hell do you care if Hedberg has a NTC on a one year deal when we have no other goaltending options besides him and Marty??? It literally couldn't matter any less. In fact, Lou probably gave it to him because he wanted to keep the offer a little lower. If you're Hedberg and you had to move your family for a year wouldn't you probably take 500k less if you were guaranteed to be in control of your own contract. That's the whole point of NTCs in the first place. Frankly, basically none of them hurt except Rolstons, and it's even logical to assume that Elias getting his NTC and saving 1M in space, and White saving 500K, and Hedberg, 500K, and Marty 1M, that the no trades you hate are the only reason the Devils were barely able to squeak Kovy in at this point.

Furthermore, fine let's say the Devils had traded Rolston to clear the cap space. Missing Salvador, Langenbrunner, Marty, Volchenkov still wouldn't have mattered right? People brought up trading those players because someone had to go, not because they wanted them to or because they're worthless.

skrillex26

Keep It On Ice
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
You can't say that about Kovy being on ice, he's our most talented player, he's going to be on ice most of the time or as much as possible, so if we're conceding goals just based on the odds Kovalchuk will be on ice for a lot of them. That's why i agree with cup that +/- is a bullshit stat. Not to mention the fact he's not good defensively, so he wouldn't dominate a game, just add offensively to it.

And sorry but i'm also pretty sure Volchenkov didn't miss half of the season. In fact don't we have to be half way through to season for that to even occur...:confused: anyway, Also like cup said, it's contradictory in a way to say how much we're missing guys now or this season that last season were terrible and we wanted gone.

I mean Salvador, Taormina?, Joseffson? ROLSTON? i'm sorry no. The only injury besides Parise of course that is even a weakening factor is Langenbrunner. And i hate Langenbrunner, but he's the only one out of those injuries that probably would of had some points had he been in the team, which he was for most of this awful start anyway.

How depressing is it that Salvador is one of our top 4 dmen...i mean:L that's horrid. Volchenkov isn't bad, and i think Greene's handy, but, for me that shows just how bad our D is. All the critics keep looking to our Offense and everything when D is more important and is what the Devils have always put first.

DevFan60

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Team would look much better with defensemen type of Niedermayer, Rafalski, Lindstrom, Chara, Kaberle, Byfuglien. But Lou lost first 2 and was not able to replace them with other good ones. And team needs this kind of D, like as any other NHL team. Way to go Lou. Look for, find and sign such D a.s.a.p.

TiLoBrown

Way too mad about Rep!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can't say that about Kovy being on ice, he's our most talented player,

Hold on now. You can call Kovy our best scorer (not even an argument with Parise out) but he is far from the most talented player.

Last edited by a moderator:

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
You can't say that about Kovy being on ice, he's our most talented player, he's going to be on ice most of the time or as much as possible, so if we're conceding goals just based on the odds Kovalchuk will be on ice for a lot of them. That's why i agree with cup that +/- is a bullshit stat. Not to mention the fact he's not good defensively, so he wouldn't dominate a game, just add offensively to it.

And sorry but i'm also pretty sure Volchenkov didn't miss half of the season. In fact don't we have to be half way through to season for that to even occur...:confused: anyway, Also like cup said, it's contradictory in a way to say how much we're missing guys now or this season that last season were terrible and we wanted gone.

I mean Salvador, Taormina?, Joseffson? ROLSTON? i'm sorry no. The only injury besides Parise of course that is even a weakening factor is Langenbrunner. And i hate Langenbrunner, but he's the only one out of those injuries that probably would of had some points had he been in the team, which he was for most of this awful start anyway.

How depressing is it that Salvador is one of our top 4 dmen...i mean:L that's horrid. Volchenkov isn't bad, and i think Greene's handy, but, for me that shows just how bad our D is. All the critics keep looking to our Offense and everything when D is more important and is what the Devils have always put first.

You're right. He's played in 15 of 27 so far. That's more than half. What a joke...

Furthermore, how delusional can you be. Fine Ilya's our best player, which he isn't IMO, and sure he plays the most ice time, but guess how many times we're going to make the playoffs if our BEST player lets in more goals than he helps create while he's on the ice? NONE!

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sorry but with ally the status quo and stay the course and talking around the subject it seems more and more likely this is jvbs call.I find it hard to believe lou lams wouldn't have dvred jmac by now not to mention make the kovy trade or go for that big of a contract.not saying I don't want kovy just saying I think Lou is taking a lot of best for stuff he may not be responsible for.

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The reason teams like Detroit, Philly, Chicago, and Pittsburgh are so sickeningly good is because their best players aren't liabilities. Right now ours is. Some people were even saying that it's not Kovy's job to play defense, just score. Well he hasn't done that yet, so at least he can make sure not to hurt the team. Travis is doing that right now. He's had a horrible season and has shown that he needs to be with Parise to be successful, which isn't a problem, because together they're amazing, BUT Travis has still been a great defensive player this season. His faceoffs have been astounding at 57.7% That's a 5% increase from last season. That's pure effort on his part, and we might have 3 wins at this point if it wasn't for his back checking.

On top of all that he was still a + player until this week when he starting playing with the black hole again.

I've shown in other post with video evidence that anytime the Devils are in their own end and Ilya's on the ice, it might as well be 5 on 4. It's just that awful.

If we had 12 Travis Zajacs as our forwards we'd have a better record than we do now. That's for sure.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
aAndy Greene is what he is a streak player.the first year he played looked like he had allot of potential.the second was flat out horrible.last year was obviously his best.and this year he's been inconsistent.to be honest I think the timing of his good year last year on a way hurt us by making players like Martin and oduya appear more expendable.

skrillex26

Keep It On Ice
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Hold on now. You can call Kovy our best scorer (not even an argument with Parise out) but he is far from the most talented player.

Well i didn't say best scorer, i said most talented and i'm npt even a big fan of Kovy, but how can you say he isn't? we haven't had a player with his scoring ability before.

Unless you got a list of people who have scored 50 or there about every year almost. I mean Jesus if you wanna say our best scorer well that was Brian Gionta...that's a joke.

skrillex26

Keep It On Ice
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
You're right. He's played in 15 of 27 so far. That's more than half. What a joke...

Furthermore, how delusional can you be. Fine Ilya's our best player, which he isn't IMO, and sure he plays the most ice time, but guess how many times we're going to make the playoffs if our BEST player lets in more goals than he helps create while he's on the ice? NONE!

Yeah but it isn't half of the season...:L

Don't get me wrong i'm no lover of Kovalchuk, i like Parise more and i would have him in the team without Kovy if that was the choice that had to be made. But we got Kovy based on numbers. Because no other player other than Parise is realistically going to get near those kinda stats in the next few years i'd guess, unless some rookie explodes.

I still fail to see how it's Kovy letting the goals in just because he's on ice. I would hope more of the fans on here would be fair and say it is the team that's failing. Everyone is letting the goals in, not just the goalie, and not just Kovy because he's being paid crazy amounts. Good teams should group together and be a team. If one guy makes a mistake they should bust their asses to take care of it and cover it. Every player should do that, but they're lazy, careless and completely dead at the moment.

And why why why does Jamie Langenbrunner and Maclean keep saying after each game, "We weren't ready, we need to be prepared" Wtf is that. Captain is a joke, coach is a joke.

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah but it isn't half of the season...:L

Don't get me wrong i'm no lover of Kovalchuk, i like Parise more and i would have him in the team without Kovy if that was the choice that had to be made. But we got Kovy based on numbers. Because no other player other than Parise is realistically going to get near those kinda stats in the next few years i'd guess, unless some rookie explodes.

I still fail to see how it's Kovy letting the goals in just because he's on ice. I would hope more of the fans on here would be fair and say it is the team that's failing. Everyone is letting the goals in, not just the goalie, and not just Kovy because he's being paid crazy amounts. Good teams should group together and be a team. If one guy makes a mistake they should bust their asses to take care of it and cover it. Every player should do that, but they're lazy, careless and completely dead at the moment.

And why why why does Jamie Langenbrunner and Maclean keep saying after each game, "We weren't ready, we need to be prepared" Wtf is that. Captain is a joke, coach is a joke.

Agreed. That just tells your fanbase, that they arent even trying anymore it seems. Almost like they have given up in a sense. When you are hearing the same repetitious clutter from your captain and your coach, attempting to make excuses for poor play, it just gives the impression (rightfully so) that they just dont give a fuck.

Just my .02

TiLoBrown

Way too mad about Rep!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well i didn't say best scorer, i said most talented and i'm npt even a big fan of Kovy, but how can you say he isn't? we haven't had a player with his scoring ability before.

Unless you got a list of people who have scored 50 or there about every year almost. I mean Jesus if you wanna say our best scorer well that was Brian Gionta...that's a joke.

You do know that just because you're the best scorer it doesnt make you the most talented right? Theres other part to the game besides scoring. Because right now you seem to be going on the fact that Kovy scored 50 so that makes him the most talented player.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
outside of parise and kovy who is the most talented player on this team then? i'm really interested in this...and you cant say marty...talking players not goalies

can we all agree that +/- is a pointless stat? i mean how many goals was kovalchuk out there for and it was a defense lapse that let a goal to be scored?

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
you know whats scary.....is you can bring a player like kovalchuk into this team and he struggles this bad? what does that seriously say about this team? about the makeup outside the top line? the heart of these players?

you cant say kovalchuk isnt a devils type player...because honestly the group before he got here were devils type players either because they got squat done!

something is serioulsy wrong when you have an elite talent only scoring 5 goals...i seriously doubt he forgot how to score in 1 summer

TiLoBrown

Way too mad about Rep!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know I said I wasnt going to respond to you anymore but I this one didnt make me want to hang my head in shame unlike most of your other ones.

outside of parise and kovy who is the most talented player on this team then? i'm really interested in this...and you cant say marty...talking players not goalies

can we all agree that +/- is a pointless stat? i mean how many goals was kovalchuk out there for and it was a defense lapse that let a goal to be scored?

Yes we can agree on that, in terms of whos more talented? I leaving Parise out since he is injured. But right now I would say Arnott, Clarkson, and I will always say Elias. Clarkson is an underrated part of the team and one thing all 3 of them have in common is the hustle they show on every shift. And all I have to say is PK. Yes, Kovy is the best scorer, but there are other parts to being a talented player than scoring.

you know whats scary.....is you can bring a player like kovalchuk into this team and he struggles this bad? what does that seriously say about this team? about the makeup outside the top line? the heart of these players?

you cant say kovalchuk isnt a devils type player...because honestly the group before he got here were devils type players either because they got squat done!

something is serioulsy wrong when you have an elite talent only scoring 5 goals...i seriously doubt he forgot how to score in 1 summer

What does it say when people with "less talent" have more?

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
arnott and clarkson have more talent then kovy?

ok no more posting for you

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he's saying at the moment clarkson and arnott are playing better hockey than kovy and to be honest they are.even fans of other teams are saying clarkson has been the best player on the ice lately.and I'm not saying kovy isn't more talented but clarkson and arnott have been showing up.arnott is leading the team in goals right now and up until the flyers game clarkson and kovy were tied.goals aside the main thing that sticks out is their hustle and that gap has been far and away more than kovys

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think he's saying at the moment clarkson and arnott are playing better hockey than kovy and to be honest they are.even fans of other teams are saying clarkson has been the best player on the ice lately.and I'm not saying kovy isn't more talented but clarkson and arnott have been showing up.arnott is leading the team in goals right now and up until the flyers game clarkson and kovy were tied.goals aside the main thing that sticks out is their hustle and that gap has been far and away more than kovys

Exactly. Most on here don't give Marty any credit for past achievements, so why should we for Kovalchuk.

Honestly cup, if you don't think that goal differential is an important stat, than I don't know what to tell you.

If I could find CORSI numbers which essentially breaks down chances for the team and against when a player is on the ice, you'd see again how much of a liability Kovy is. Last time ILWT ran them opposing chances skyrocketed with Ilya on the ice.

And I'd like to add that isn't necessarily a problem as long as Ilya's scoring goals, but at the moment, he's not.