• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why is Kentucky ranked #1?

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure this has already been discussed.....but I've been working a lot lately.

Can anyone explain to me how in theeee holy hell Kentucky is ranked #1 after last season and the way they finished?

Where I come from you have to prove your worth before you're actually worth something.......you can't just rank a team based off of perceived potential from a recruiting class....:L

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a question that would have been better asked about 5 hours ago. As it stands now, UK won't be #1 when the polls come out.

That being said, polls are pretty meaningless in cbb so why would you care anyway?

And to answer your question, preseason polls are a wild ass guess. UK isn't the same team as they were last year. MSU isn't the same team either. Neither is Duke, or UofL or Kansas. To the best of my knowledge there isn't a single team in the Top 25 that hasn't changed their lineup, so the pollsters are guessing on every team. At the time the polls came out nobody had a chance to prove anything good, bad or otherwise.

Just out of curiosity, why wouldn't you rank a team based on perceived potential? Isn't that how every team is ranked in the preseason? Why would you ignore perceived potential? Shouldn't you factor in as much as possible when you rank teams? Purposefully ignoring one aspect seems kinda dumb.

Finally, while the loss to MSU makes it pretty clear that UK isn't #1 right now, I think it also shows that they aren't that far off either.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't rank Kentucky #1 because I would have to watch high school youtube videos of the players to figure out if I think they are good or not...........and you cannot evaluate how a team is going to play at the College level by watching individuals play on different teams at a lower level......

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Plain and simple, there are plenty of teams returning players from last season who we know plenty about.....

These teams have proven more than a team of Freshmen.

The day that you can rank a team full of Freshmen #1 is the day that every team is full of Freshmen.

JahiiCarson_SqodGeneral

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because of there returning players Willey Cauley-Stein and Alex Poythress. Along with there solid recruiting class. Its so early in the season it doesn't matter, maybe Kentucky starts owning everyone in 2 weeks?

NinersFan80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is obvious Michigan State, Duke, and Kansas are better teams then Kentucky

JahiiCarson_SqodGeneral

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is obvious Michigan State, Duke, and Kansas are better teams then Kentucky

How do you know this? Its been two games? Memphis looks like a really good team? They could sneak up on people. What about Arizona lock down defenders all over the floor?

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All I'm saying is, I'm not buying that Kentucky is any better this season than they were last season.....

Not until a bunch of 18 year old kids who are playing together for the first time can prove it to me by showing it.

JahiiCarson_SqodGeneral

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All I'm saying is, I'm not buying that Kentucky is any better this season than they were last season.....

Not until a bunch of 18 year old kids who are playing together for the first time can prove it to me by showing it.

Willey Cauley-Stein and Alex Poythress? Randle is a fucking beast. Kentucky had no one as good as Randle last year. The reason Kentucky was bad last year was because of Ryan Harrow and it forced there best scorer Archie Goodwin to play point guard. Harrow killed that team last year and then Noel got hurt.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Randle could go #1 over Wiggins. Same with Parker. Right now its a 3 person race for the top pick.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This next draft is so loaded its hard to even think about.

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wish I'da said this...

"An example of a great team beating great players."
- another poster on another forum

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed.....

And we will know how great the players are on Kentucky's team as the year goes on.......

They might end up losing to Robert Morris in the 1st round of the NIT again for all we know

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Kentucky is better than an NIT loser this season. They can't help but get better. And Michigan State is as good as advertised. No shame in losing to Sparty this season.

Peter Gozintite

NO!...but yes.
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 103,499.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do you know this? Its been two games? Memphis looks like a really good team? They could sneak up on people. What about Arizona lock down defenders all over the floor?

Has Memphis played a game yet? That matters? Also, does first week of season determine whos good in college basketball?
I know everybody is excited, but calm down just a bit.